hitting that weight loss wall

Options
Well so far I have lost 63 pounds and it feels like it is getting harder to loose the weight. I still have a very long way to go. I have been eating over 2200 cals a day and have been going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. I feel like I am eating enough and my body is not going into starvation mode it just feels like maybe I should eat less? When I first started out there were days that I didn't even hit 2000 cals and those weeks I lost a lot of weight but now I have tried going to the gym more and weight trainning and drinking my water I average about 8 to 10 glasses a day. I am asking my fellow MFP members to help me out. It there anything else I can be doing. I just want to do everything I can do to lose this weight. I am 342 pounds and my goal is to get to 250 / 225. Thanks.

Replies

• cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is NOT QUIT. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Maybe up the exercise regimen just a little and / or lower your caloric intake to trick your body. Just changing one or both of these things should get you some results.

Hang in there!
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    Well, one thing to keep in mind is that muscle weighs more that fat. How are your measurements? Are they still going down? Make sure to track that as well because that will help you to tell if the weight standstill is simply the change from fat to muscle.
  • jolene1
    jolene1 Posts: 28
    Options
    oh i hear ya bigguy....i'm so sick and tired of not being able to even loose one simple pound. It is so hard to eat food for the good when it's been so bad for me. there are days i just want to cry. I don't understand it either. It's amazing with what you have lost. I just started the P90X program and I'm really loving the energy it gives me...if only I would see some weight loss. I have come to terms though that it's not always about the weight. So I've taken measurements and i'm hoping to see inches lost on day 30,60 and 90. So keep your head up....Jolene
  • marriola123
    marriola123 Posts: 11
    Options
    I hit that great wall and asked my diet doctor how to get over the wall. She suggested I change my diet I eat more in the morning less in the afternoon and eat less in the evening. Weight training is great but if you want to lose weight I would suggest cardio cardio cardio. After you are about mid point to your goal you begin to ramp up the weight lifting and strength training problem with lifting your building muscle over fat which is harder to lose mid point the fat will turn into muscle causing you to continue to lose the weight and build muscle at the same time. I just started on here but so far my weight loss from day one is 30 pounds I am beyond mid point and am now ramping up on the weight training and lifting to build definition tone and muscle.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I would say that you should drop your calories down by about 200, and increase your workout intensity and what you're doing. Your body may have gotten used to what your doing and it needs to be shaken up a bit. If you don't see the scale move after that, really look at what you're eating to see if there is a lot of sodium that is causing you to retain water, which will also keep the scale from moving. Good luck!
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I think your snacks should contain more protein. I can see you like your ice cream but you aren't hitting your protein numbers and that will really help weight loss. I have a TraderJoe's near me and love their cheddar popcorn. You can have 2 cups of it and the protein+fiber+fat is more than the carbs so it makes it a great night time snack. i bring home bags of this stuff and then measure them out into individual ziplocs so I'm not tempted to eat the whole bag.
  • rojanpa
    rojanpa Posts: 6
    Options
    Hang in there...I'm having the same problem. I've hit a wall, and keep gaining and losing the same pound. I'd like suggestions too. Maybe I'm not eating enough. I generally try to limit my caloric intake to 1300 or less. Should I try eating more? Any suggestions would be helpful. Oh, and I'm drinking 10-12 glasses of water a day, so I know that's not the issue. Today, I'm going to try to eat more protein and less sodium....see if that makes a difference.
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    Well so far I have lost 63 pounds and it feels like it is getting harder to loose the weight. I still have a very long way to go. I have been eating over 2200 cals a day and have been going to the gym 4 to 5 times a week. I feel like I am eating enough and my body is not going into starvation mode it just feels like maybe I should eat less? When I first started out there were days that I didn't even hit 2000 cals and those weeks I lost a lot of weight but now I have tried going to the gym more and weight trainning and drinking my water I average about 8 to 10 glasses a day. I am asking my fellow MFP members to help me out. It there anything else I can be doing. I just want to do everything I can do to lose this weight. I am 342 pounds and my goal is to get to 250 / 225. Thanks.

When you say it's getting harder what do you mean?How much are you loosing now as opposed to what before?
  • tex43
    Options
    I would say that you should drop your calories down by about 200, and increase your workout intensity and what you're doing. Your body may have gotten used to what your doing and it needs to be shaken up a bit. If you don't see the scale move after that, really look at what you're eating to see if there is a lot of sodium that is causing you to retain water, which will also keep the scale from moving. Good luck!

Hey Liz,
    How many plateau's did you hit along your way?
  • UFOGal
    UFOGal Posts: 4
    Options
    I am no expert . But hitting a plane now and again in weight lose is pretty normal. Seems like the general advise on several web sites like WebMD and others is this:

Zig Zag your calorie intake meaning one day eat 1800 then the next 2500. The idea is to trick your metabolism to going again. Because your body has gotten used to it's routine.

Vary your work out. If you been walking lots, try swimming instead. This will work out new or different muscle groups. Again your body may have adapted to the work out you usually do and isn't being challenged enough.

Some say if you are doing say a high protein, low carb diet you might try switching it around for while do high carb, low protein. I should note be sure it's good carbs the type you get from whole grains and veggies.

I'd add also try not to obsess to much. We all want to get to our weight goal as fast as we can, but really our true goal should be to become healthy, fit and happy human beings. Wringing our hands over exact calorie counts and not enjoying life is counter productive to that.

Just some my thoughts. Good Luck to you sir!

UFOGal
  • tex43
    Options
    I am no expert . But hitting a plane now and again in weight lose is pretty normal. Seems like the general advise on several web sites like WebMD and others is this:

Zig Zag your calorie intake meaning one day eat 1800 then the next 2500. The idea is to trick your metabolism to going again. Because your body has gotten used to it's routine.

Vary your work out. If you been walking lots, try swimming instead. This will work out new or different muscle groups. Again your body may have adapted to the work out you usually do and isn't being challenged enough.

Some say if you are doing say a high protein, low carb diet you might try switching it around for while do high carb, low protein. I should note be sure it's good carbs the type you get from whole grains and veggies.

I'd add also try not to obsess to much. We all want to get to our weight goal as fast as we can, but really our true goal should be to become healthy, fit and happy human beings. Wringing our hands over exact calorie counts and not enjoying life is counter productive to that.

Just some my thoughts. Good Luck to you sir!

UFOGal
    good advice!
  • gabi_ele
    gabi_ele Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you read these threads, but they really helped me understand that it is not just calories in , calories out , there is more to weightloss and this site i awsomn in it's approach to a healthy weightloss and lifestyle change.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I personally know myself and in past attempts it has been: the quicker I lose the better, which has set me up for years of yoyoing. This time I'll do it the right way, no matter how long it takes me.
  • tex43
    Options
    I'm not sure if you read these threads, but they really helped me understand that it is not just calories in , calories out , there is more to weightloss and this site i awsomn in it's approach to a healthy weightloss and lifestyle change.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/9433-expectations

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

I personally know myself and in past attempts it has been: the quicker I lose the better, which has set me up for years of yoyoing. This time I'll do it the right way, no matter how long it takes me.

Just got back from reading those,they were extremely helpful,how do you keep up with them like you have them there?