Is it possible to gain 7 lbs in 3 days?

Options
I posted on the success stories page that I joined MFP on 7th January and have recently lost 7 lbs. Anyway I decided to take 3 days off the diet and am now back to my starting weight. I must admit I have had 2 takeaways and quite a lot of chocolate but I did not think I would gain 7 lbs. Is this possible or is it water retention or something?

Replies

• blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Probably the salt in the takeaways has caused your body to retain water. Get back on the diet and it should go quite quickly.

Good luck x
  • rosiecbolton
    rosiecbolton Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    hopefully blobby!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to gain 7 lbs of water weight? Yes.
    Is it possible to gain 7 lbs of fat? No.

Weight can rise temporarily due to:
    -Starting or changing an exercise regimen
    -Eating extra sodium
    -Fluctuations of the amount of food in the digestive tract
    -Menstruation
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    its water retention due 2 high salty food intake...........
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You decided to reward yourself for losing weight by returning to "pre-diet" eating for three days? I suppose this is the problem with "dieting" as opposed to changing your lifestyle. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a healthy eating lifestyle that included some of the foods you mentioned? (ie. a square or two of chocolate or a takeaway once a week).
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    No I did not come off my diet as a "reward" for doing well. I have binge eating disorder which had been in check since I joined MFP, but I relapsed.
  • king_rica
    Options
    Keep at it rosie! It's neverending and hard!
  • karendee4
    karendee4 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Rosie, I have a binge problem too. I have been there. I binged Sunday and gained 2 pounds. It still has not gone away despite good eating and exercise since then. I think your 7 pounds will go away eventually. Some might be water and some might be fat, waste etc.
  • rosiecbolton
    Options
    thank you so much and 113 lbs lost is phenomenal
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's probably water weight. Get back to eating healthy and a significant amount of that 7 pounds should come off on a few days. What caused you to binge for 3 days? Treat binge eating like you're recovering from drug addiction; keep trigger foods out of your house. Do not eat from places you cannot control yourself etc. this is how I handle it and it works for the most part. You need at least 30 days to get your body to adjust to your new lifestyle (eating as much as you can now will not be as easy when your body hasn't had it in a long time).

Good luck you can do this!
  • threeohtwo
    threeohtwo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happened to me. Sometimes it doesn't go away for a LONG time! I'm sure a little - maybe a pound or two is fat but the other five are water. You'll lose it :) Don't let the depression of this drive you to eat more.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i gained 7lbs in a DAY once by having and "italian christmas dinner" with my family lol Don't sweat it, it's probably just the sodium and your body flipping out because it was so used to healthyness and all of a sudden it got chocolate and fast food and it didn't know what to do :(

it'll come off soon, don't worry about it! remember this is a lifetime thing, you can take a few days off here and there!
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Although I am not a binge eater, I have experienced tremendous weight gain in an incredible short period of time that takes months and months to come off. If for example I gain 8 in 4 days, the first 2 lbs will come off rapidily. The remaining 4-6 can easily become a permanent part of my profile, despite clean and reserved eating habits. What is it for me? Rheumatoid arthritis. Immune and endrocine imbalances and diseases run among the females on my maternal side. It took me years of clean eating to figure out the triggers: sugar consumption and inadequate fat intake.

RA is ikely not in your picture. But insulin sensitivities are common in culture due to the standard american diet (SAD). There are studies you should read that trace excess sugar intake to not only to weight gain, but also high cholesterol and many other health problems.

Once you can tame the binge eating you might be able to track your body's behavior better and determine what your clean diet will look like. Mine is light an grains, minimal added sugars, adequate protein for my age & activity level, plenty of good fats, lots of fiber with vegetables and legumes and some fruits, and finally 8-12 glasses of filtered water daily.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Happens to me. I can put on 5+lbs with just one meal of chinese takeout. A little extra water, a couple days, and some absurd amounts of urine later ... and it's gone.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale!

Or, if you must, watch for trends every two weeks or monthly.

Find other ways to track progress - measurements, endurance, stamina, strength, etc.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It happens. Drink lots of water and you'll be back to normal before you know it.
  • RainRach
    RainRach Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same for me, I always need to a whole week to come off after a weekend weight gain.
    Although I am not a binge eater, I have experienced tremendous weight gain in an incredible short period of time that takes months and months to come off. If for example I gain 8 in 4 days, the first 2 lbs will come off rapidily. The remaining 4-6 can easily become a permanent part of my profile, despite clean and reserved eating habits. What is it for me? Rheumatoid arthritis. Immune and endrocine imbalances and diseases run among the females on my maternal side. It took me years of clean eating to figure out the triggers: sugar consumption and inadequate fat intake.

RA is ikely not in your picture. But insulin sensitivities are common in culture due to the standard american diet (SAD). There are studies you should read that trace excess sugar intake to not only to weight gain, but also high cholesterol and many other health problems.

Once you can tame the binge eating you might be able to track your body's behavior better and determine what your clean diet will look like. Mine is light an grains, minimal added sugars, adequate protein for my age & activity level, plenty of good fats, lots of fiber with vegetables and legumes and some fruits, and finally 8-12 glasses of filtered water daily.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I have binged an amount large enough to actually gain a pound in one day, but even I can't eat enough to gain 7 in 3 days. I don't think. I hope not. So it's mostly water.

Anyway, figure out what triggered your binge and eliminate it so it doesn't happen again, then carry on. And ditch the rewarding yourself with food mindset forever. There are so many things you can reward yourself with that are so much nicer! Clothes, books, movies, music, gadgets, games, you name it. Just not food.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You decided to reward yourself for losing weight by returning to "pre-diet" eating for three days? I suppose this is the problem with "dieting" as opposed to changing your lifestyle. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a healthy eating lifestyle that included some of the foods you mentioned? (ie. a square or two of chocolate or a takeaway once a week).

The only way to permanently loose weight is a lifestyle change, not dieting! It took me until my fiftieth birthday to realize this and now that I have I have made more progress in a little over three months than any diet I had ever tried.

If your goal is to loose weight and be healthy you need to change you think about your whole self which includes both healthy eating and exercise.

I lost over 33 lbs from the beginning of November and even though I was not working out for a month I didn't gain it all back.. because I avoided all the things I had learned to understand as being unhealthy. In fact I probably did gain some weight during the month I wasn't "working out regularly" but it was definitely not the equivalent of what you gained in those three days.

Takeaways are loaded with salt and all kinds of other additives that I have begin to understand are simply a different type of poison.

I have come to the conclusion that without re-educating myself about both exercise and the food I put in this big chemical plant called the human body it will not function optimally.
  • jconn82
    Options
    I just had the same thing. Not 7lbs but about 5 in 3 days, from falling off the wagon. I've been back on track since monday and 2 of them are already gone. I am also a horrible binge eater, and its a daily struggle. I am also obsessed with my scale, and trying to break the cycle!!!!