Wheelchair Bound

I have been aq wheelchair for 4 years now. Had been putting on weight due to no exercise. Bad heart, so electric chair. Found a program to exercise mildly with, and have gotten a WII, so bowl and baseball, tennis andx golf. It helps to have some movement. Any one with ideas? Oh yes I do use some handweights.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    Can you do water aerobics? Some places even have special classes for people w/mobility issues. My mom mostly uses a wheelchair but can walk a little but she loves her water aerobics class. Most pools should have the lift thingy to get you in and out of the pool since stairs would be an issue.
  • No, nothing here like that I can use. Thanks for suggestion.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    My friend who is also in a wheelchair uses weights at the gym and uses a handbike at the gym. the chairs move out of the way usually, but sometimes he has to transfer into the chair.

I didn't see where you lived but many many places have pool therapy areas (in the Twin Cities almost all of our hospitals have one, we have several rehab centers that offer them as well and all you need is a doctors order and its covered by insurance)

Also, there are yoga programs for people in wheelchairs. Ive had quads do them, so they'd be doable for you too.

Just a matter of getting creative and finding what your community offers.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Look at and talk to the NCPAD.

Here are a few ideas: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exdisabilities/a/disabilities.htm
  • used to do exercise at a nursing home with folks in Wheel Chairs. There is actually a lot you can do though it is more fun to do as a group. Some public TV chanels have exercise programs for folks who need to be sitting down. These may help.
    Main thing is, Keep doing whatever you can and push to do just a little bit more.
    Congrats on making the effort instead of making excuses.:heart::drinker:
  • Thanks, I'll look into the yoga.
  • I do have a DVD, and have tried to do variations. You are right though, harder to do alone.