Caloric intake from restaurants (not chain establishments)

Options
So, of course tonight it's Valentine's Day and my hubby and I are going to one of my favorite restaurants. It's not a chain though, so I don't know how to count my calories. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Do you know your limit? Stick to things you know...
    Salad, fish, rice, potatoes... these are usually safe options. Have water with your meal. Say no thanks to the extra sauces and gravies. You can always log your stuff later on when you have a rough idea of what you have eaten, the portions, etc.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's one day, so I wouldn't worry TOO much about it. It's Valentines Day, go out have a nice date with your man. Don't fret and talk about calories at dinner (eye roll). Order sensible (nothing breaded or fried, nothing in heavy butter, cheese or cream sauce). Estimate when you get home.

If I eat out, I always log extra servings of oil for cooking.

If you're that worried when your meal comes ask for a to-go box and wrap up half your meal right away.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid chain restaurants because they can't compare to the great little independent places around me. So basically, I encounter this every time I go out to eat. What I do is estimate using chain restaurant's nutrition info, since there will always be more fat and salt involved at a restaurant vs. home cooking. For instance, if you order stuffed shrimp tonight, use some sort of chain restaurant info (like Red Lobster) that is already in the database. Same with steak, find the equivalent, let's say a 6 ounce filet mignon, at a chain steak joint like Outback or Texas Roadhouse.

If you are trying to stay within your calories, use the usual calorie counting common sense...go for poached or baked not fried, go easy on the starch side dishes, if portions are large only eat half, fill up on vegetables, etc. Above all else, if this is a special night out, don't stress over the calories. Do your best to stay within your limits but if you truly eat well most of the time, one meal where you go over a bit won't hurt. Enjoy!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid chain restaurants because they can't compare to the great little independent places around me. So basically, I encounter this every time I go out to eat. What I do is estimate using chain restaurant's nutrition info, since there will always be more fat and salt involved at a restaurant vs. home cooking. For instance, if you order stuffed shrimp tonight, use some sort of chain restaurant info (like Red Lobster) that is already in the database. Same with steak, find the equivalent, let's say a 6 ounce filet mignon, at a chain steak joint like Outback or Texas Roadhouse.

If you are trying to stay within your calories, use the usual calorie counting common sense...go for poached or baked not fried, go easy on the starch side dishes, if portions are large only eat half, fill up on vegetables, etc. Above all else, if this is a special night out, don't stress over the calories. Do your best to stay within your limits but if you truly eat well most of the time, one meal where you go over a bit won't hurt. Enjoy!

Good advice :)

Yeah, if I eat something at a non-chain restaurant, I just try and find a similar entry at a chain. If possible, I try and look at the menu ahead of time, just to get an idea of what the best choices might be. If I'm being good, I'll avoid excessive carbs (salad instead of fries), avoid fried things, avoid things in heavy sauces

At the same time, if it's a special occasion, I'm also not afraid to throw it all out the window and get what I want. Maybe my weight is a little inflated over the following day or two, but it tends to even out after that. Nobody eats perfect all the time :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Just find something close in the database. All of this is just estimations anyway.

And +1 for "cheating" every once in a while. Life's too short to not indulge.
  • jennamt87
    jennamt87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat tonight, so I'm going to eat a smaller lunch than normal. Other tips, that echo what others have said: Avoid drinking your calories, get sauces/dressings on the side, plan to take half your meal home, share an app or dessert with your hunny :-)

Best of all, enjoy the day. Everything is okay in moderation, and one meal won't make you gain 20 lbs, so don't worry too much! (My personal motto! :-)
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Try to assemble the recipe yourself with ingredients. A lot of what you find for full meals, restaurant guesses, are big time too high in MFP's database. Seasonings are unimportant, just hit the main ingredients and guess on an oil/butter amount.
  • bethFromDayton
    bethFromDayton Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Although I totally agree that relaxing the rules for one day isn't a horrible thing, I do think it's a slippery slope.

Most of us learn that we can suspend the rules for a "special occasion"--but have you ever added up how many special occasions you celebrate in a year?

Holidays: New Year's, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and for some St. Patrick's Day

Birthdays: Mine, DH, DD the older, DS, DD the younger, BFF (doesn't count casual friends), Mom, Dad, Grandma, If you don't have kids, you might in the future and if you do have kids, you might have grandkids in the future

Anniversary

Parties: Promotions, Going away parties, birthdays at work, Retirement parties, Super Bowl, multiple holiday parties, work potlucks

I'm new at this so not yet proficient, but I know I have to stop thinking that special occasions are for eating. There could easily be a "special event" every week--and certainly several a month. Yes, I had a piece of cake at my grandmother's birthday party. But I also ate very lightly the rest of the day and fit that cake into my calorie allotment.

If you decide to have an off-plan meal, then have one. I just know that I need to be careful not to un-do all I'm doing--and for me, that means even "special occasions" need to be no greater than maintenance level.
  • jsrussell2127
    jsrussell2127 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much, everyone! You all gave some great suggestions! I do intend to let loose a little, I just don't want to completely over do it and destroy my losses for the week. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just try to find the closest representation you can in the database. Dining out is also good practice for proper portion control...comes in handy when you get to maintenance. Depending on the restaurant obviously...many restaurant portions are double and sometimes triple a standard portion.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you email the owner and ask very nicely, they can give you the ingredient list. I've had luck with this before. It helps if you keep the email short but full of praise and flattery. If you start by telling them how much you love eating out there (food, atmosphere, service) and then transition to how you are trying to watch what you eat and so would they be so kind as to help you track what you've been getting there (name a favorite or two that's your "usual") you might be surprised just how many will reply back with a recipe (minus the directions). From there, enter it into MFP's recipe builder, and add a little extra padding if you want (for secret ingredients or variations in portion sizes).

I did this for a beef salad at a local joint that hubby and I used to go to about once a week. When my folks came to visit from out of state, my mom fell in love with the same salad and was trying to take it apart at the dinner table to figure out what all was in it so that she could copy it at home. I was able to help her out by sending her the list I'd gotten earlier from the manager. She can't go out for that salad like I can, but she makes a pretty darn good knock off when she's at home. :laugh:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I try to take the healthiest options available and then just estimate. Often I just add 1000 cals and be done with it.
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i was wondering about the same thing. great ideas. thanks for sharing
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    So, of course tonight it's Valentine's Day and my hubby and I are going to one of my favorite restaurants. It's not a chain though, so I don't know how to count my calories. Any suggestions?

I agree with the other suggestions - but has anyone just asked the restaurant?

I can't imagine that it is a question that they have not been asked before - and they have all of the info (recipe, portion size, etc).
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Although I totally agree that relaxing the rules for one day isn't a horrible thing, I do think it's a slippery slope.

Most of us learn that we can suspend the rules for a "special occasion"--but have you ever added up how many special occasions you celebrate in a year?

Holidays: New Year's, Valentine's Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and for some St. Patrick's Day

Birthdays: Mine, DH, DD the older, DS, DD the younger, BFF (doesn't count casual friends), Mom, Dad, Grandma, If you don't have kids, you might in the future and if you do have kids, you might have grandkids in the future

Anniversary

Parties: Promotions, Going away parties, birthdays at work, Retirement parties, Super Bowl, multiple holiday parties, work potlucks

I'm new at this so not yet proficient, but I know I have to stop thinking that special occasions are for eating. There could easily be a "special event" every week--and certainly several a month. Yes, I had a piece of cake at my grandmother's birthday party. But I also ate very lightly the rest of the day and fit that cake into my calorie allotment.

If you decide to have an off-plan meal, then have one. I just know that I need to be careful not to un-do all I'm doing--and for me, that means even "special occasions" need to be no greater than maintenance level.

^^^This^^^

And let's include ordering in because we're working late, business travel, vacations,......
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

You can always request meals b prepared a certain way, and as mentioned above, stick with what you know. So ask for thei fish dish or chicken dish, but maybe ask for it to be grilled without oils, sauces on the side, and such.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Ask for your food not to be cooked in oil or butter.
    Get gravies, sauces, and dressing on the side.
    Stick with foods you know.
    Ask for half of your meal wrapped up to-go immediately. Some places won't do this so ask for a box to come with your meal and do it yourself.

With that being said, it's Valentine's Day, enjoy yourself :)
  • Pipil503
    Pipil503 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If your consistent this meal won't set you back much at all!! Then by next Valentine's day you'll be in even better shape anyways! ;)
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    I just log whatever the comparable thing is from a chain restaurant and estimate that almost every local restaurant will be cooked better for me with better ingrediants than the chain so if anything I overestimate and under eat