Is this normal?

Options
I've been on the site since the 8th, and I have lost 6lbs. I have the site set to lose 2lbs/week and I'm eating fairly close to the calorie goal(not too far under), and use the calories earned from exercise. I tend to be over the protein limit and below the carb limit, but I don't think that matters.

I eat mostly fresh food with no added sugar or flour, and drink only water(been doing that for over a year, soda doesn't make sense to me). I do about 5 minutes on an exercise bike every other day, and hand weights most days.

So why did I lose more than I should have?

Replies

• whistley21
    whistley21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Different people react to calorie deficiencies differently. In the beginning you will lose faster. Its all about the averages. Some weeks you may lose 10 and some you may not lose any. Congrats on your progress and keep it up :)
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. Maybe your body is so excited for you, its throwing the pounds off! I would not be worried at all. Congrats!
  • klewis192
    Options
    It will slow down the more your body gets used to your lifestyle change. Making small changes at the beginning usually makes all the difference and the pounds come falling off! Well done :)
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss is usually water weight.

If you are just getting started, you might want to read this. It helped me lose weight (and keep it off!): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    So you have been on here for 6 days bascically and have lost 6 pounds...thats awesome! Your weight loss will fluctuate..and it may not be 2/a week..some weeks more..some weeks none at all.

You have to see that its more than just the number on the scale
    -better eating habits
    -excercising where you never did before
    -no losses..but clothes are fitting better
    -tape measure is saying you are losing inches.
    -you have learned how to eat healthier

Dont rely solely on the scale..but find other ways to gauge your success!
  • AlohaKeAkua
    Options
    Don't question a good thing :wink:
    Congrats on a great start!!
  • tesslacoil
    tesslacoil Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight, especially if you were eating a lot of carbs before and have drastically changed you carbs:protein ratio.

Nothing to stress out about. However, your weight loss will probably slow down in the next couple weeks since you've dumped the initial load of water.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, when people first start a lifestyle change like this they drop a lot of pounds right at the beginning, especially if they have a lot to lose. It will start to level off though.

Congrats!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs my first week and I am set at 1 lb per week

I think it was just water weight... and waste. :flowerforyou: One you change it kick starts you. your loss will be more regular soon ^^
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've been on the site since the 8th, and I have lost 6lbs. I have the site set to lose 2lbs/week and I'm eating fairly close to the calorie goal(not too far under), and use the calories earned from exercise. I tend to be over the protein limit and below the carb limit, but I don't think that matters.

I eat mostly fresh food with no added sugar or flour, and drink only water(been doing that for over a year, soda doesn't make sense to me). I do about 5 minutes on an exercise bike every other day, and hand weights most days.

So why did I lose more than I should have?

calculators vary - there is no exact formula to figure out people's BMR/TDEE - its just an estimate sometimes it goes high and sometimes low

keep it up though!
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It's fairly common, almost expected, to lose around 5 lbs a week for the first week or two. Especially for bigger people.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Most people lose more in the very beginning. I think its just because changing your eating habits drastically kind of "shocks' your body and you lose a lot of water weight up front.

It will slow down....I wouldn't be too worred at this point....but also don't get discouraged when it levels off to a normal loss.
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also lost 7 lbs the first week, since then it has been anywhere between 1 and 2 lbs per week, slow and steady and I am fine with that!!!:happy:
  • kini324
    kini324 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's ok! When you shock your body with so much change, it will surprise you! It's also probably some water weight. Keep up the good work!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Water weight. I lost about 7 pounds my first two weeks and then i slowly and steadily lost the 1 pound a week from there on out.

Unless you ate 21,000 less calories in the first week, it was not likely fat.

Either way, be happy for your losses! :)

Good luck!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Holy, I wish I lost more weight than I should have with 5 minutes of exercise T_T Maybe if you exercise more you will lose a ton of weight super fast! Try 30 minutes every day or every other day!

It could also be water weight, but if its not woohoo!