Anyone experienced pain due to artificial sweeteners..?

Options
2»

Replies

• LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I get really bad headaches from most artificial sweeteners. including Splenda.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    i love aspartame - it is my friend, it helps me lose weight

I have no idea of its links to gout, but if you are having gout flare ups and thats the only thing that changed - then yeah quit drinking it.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I think moral of the story is stay away from it? And dayum, 2 litres? You should really get off that junk all together, you will learn that stuff that sweet and artificial (whether it's normal or diet) actually tastes crappy. I used to like soft drinks but now I can barely stand them!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    It keeps me up, i had to cut it out because I wasn't sleeping.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't get the joint pain, but I get blinding migraines- so does my mom. My vile, evil mother-in-law kept telling me it was all in my head... so she gave me some diet fruit juice one day and told me it was regular juice. 20 minutes later I had such a horrible migrain I actually vomited all over her new couch. Served the old hag right.

I guess that makes you the winner! She will never tell you it is in your head again!

SOME people are "allergic" to aspartame and/or other artificial sweeteners. I however am not so I can't really say if it could cause a gout-like response.
  • kbyrd1988
    kbyrd1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have heard of aspartine poisoning. There are many articles on it. I started drinking diet sodas when trying to lose weight, and became very addicted, much more than with regular sodas. When I stopped drinking them, I had horrible headaches, and withdrawls. Diet sodas are bad, so are regular sodas. I haven't had one in 2 months, and I feel so much better. I have stopped using all artificial sweeteners as well.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I get terribly sick from any artificial sweeteners. I will get horrible migraines, terrible nausea and start feeling dizzy and just kind of out-of-it. I avoid them like the plaque - I don't see the sense in replacing sugar with chemical sweetners; have the real stuff in moderation.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    It's probably gout returning. Go see a doctor
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I've heard some of the same complaints you've mentioned. Here's a little info.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

I'm trying to wean myself off of it. It's not easy with all it's into.

Mercola is the biggest f'ing quack/fear-mongerer out there. Please ignore everything he says.
  • befit68
    befit68 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From one Dave To another.... Google "Sweet Misery" and watch it. If you buy into what they are saying, and I do because of the effects I've seen on two members of my family, You may never let another artificial sweetener enter your system. It's really the worst thing you could put into your body IMHO. Water, moderate Coffee or tea, occasional cocktails. Good Clean living!
    You won't regret it brother.....:drinker:
  • Helenavee42
    Options
    My mother has gout. If you drink like 2 or so ounces of cherry juice it will help to relieve the pain and the attack should go away faster. When my mom has a flare up it affects her for at least 3 days to two weeks but now that we found out about the cherry juice it has drastically reduced the time her flare ups affect her. There is a product called just black cherry and it is pure cherry juice. If you have gout keep some around. I learned this from my friends mom and dad and her dad has gout. Stay away from red meat while you have a flare up too.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not joint pain, but headaches. Awhile back I was replacing my beloved Sprite with Crystal Light (I'm talking it's what I drank all day) and I was having horrible headaches. I heard mention of the negative side effects of Aspartame not long after that so I stopped drinking the CL, and the headaches were gone. I thought it was just a coincidence and that I was being fed a load of rubbish, so I started drinking it again, and no joke, the headaches came back. I had no idea, but now I try and avoid the stuff. I think it depends on the person, like how some people are allergic to Penicillan and others aren't. I don't take the warpath against it, but I've found out it's definitely not for me.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have heard of aspartine poisoning. There are many articles on it. I started drinking diet sodas when trying to lose weight, and became very addicted, much more than with regular sodas. When I stopped drinking them, I had horrible headaches, and withdrawls. Diet sodas are bad, so are regular sodas. I haven't had one in 2 months, and I feel so much better. I have stopped using all artificial sweeteners as well.

The headaches would of been due to the decrease in caffiene you consume.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've heard some of the same complaints you've mentioned. Here's a little info.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/06/aspartame-most-dangerous-substance-added-to-food.aspx

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

I'm trying to wean myself off of it. It's not easy with all it's into.

Mercola is the biggest f'ing quack/fear-mongerer out there. Please ignore everything he says.

This! Quoting Mercola means nothing.. sorry but Mercola is not a respected person for most people.
  • txsbbtc
    txsbbtc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sweet-N-Low gives me god awful heartburn. No trouble with any other sweeteners.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    It keeps me up, i had to cut it out because I wasn't sleeping.
    that would be caffein