Weight/fitness standards

Options
Is anyone using a "standard" for their fitness or weight goal?

For instance, I looked some up today and around 140 pounds, I'll have a healthy BMI. At 137 pounds, I'll meet the military fitness standard. For the army physical fitness test, I'd need to do 17-46 pushups, 50-80 sit-ups, and run a 2-minute mile in 19:36-15:36.

And, as a female, the most attractive hip:weight ratio for a female cross-culturally is 0.7, which is what I generally have so that's awesome hehe.

I just think it's interesting. I have goals in mind for myself, but I wonder what they're based on. What do you all base your goals on? Are there other standards out there that I could play around with?

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I'm military and hold myself to the AF standards; 47 pushups in 1 min, 55 situps in 1 min, and a 1.5 mile run. My current run time of 13:26 gives me a 94 out of 100; my goal is to get my run time around/under 12 mins. My ab circumference is spot on, so I don't have to worry about that anymore and my weight is no longer anywhere near the ceiling (to get max points), so I don't have to sweat that either (that's what got me on here to get away from that ceiling). Other than that, my only other standard/goal is to complete P90X and then Insanity without dying :laugh:
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    My goal was stay as far away from 30 BMI as possible. Obesity (which starts at 30 BMI) is bad for the body, contributing to diabetes, heart disease, cancer--fat is a strong contributor toward cancer, and joint pain. I wanted to be in the healthy range of BMI (25-20) and give myself a chance to win when my grandson and I play Tag and other rapid-locomotion games! ;)
    Also, Dr Oz (heart surgeon with a show on M-F, 9-10am EST) says the waist should be no more than 32 inches around. Mine (in Feb) was 36.5in and is now about 32.5in.
    I am happy I started all this improvement. I just hope I can stay about the size 12 (US) I am aiming for.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I base my goals on how I look and feel in my clothes. I'm muscular so my weight will be a lot heavier than someone that is carrying a lot of fat.
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    my only other standard/goal is to complete P90X and then Insanity without dying :laugh:

Hehe I am on day 11 of Insanity. I plan on doing it for 90 days instead of 60. It is certainly a challenge :-)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I'd like to have 19% body fat and be able to run AT LEAST 2 miles straight through but ultimately, I'd like to do a 5k and maybe one day a whole marathon.
  • cmurphy04722
    cmurphy04722 Posts: 254
    Options
    I'd like to have 19% body fat

Did you get your body fat percentage taken at a gym? I really want to get tested, but I don't know where to turn.