Afternoon sugar cravings?

Options
Jennwith2ns
Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
Do you have a low-calorie sugary snack or just try to overcome the cravings and eat something healthier? Do these cravings let up?

Replies

• raelbee
    raelbee Posts: 219
    Options
    I will usually eat a piece of fruit, and that will satisfy my sweet tooth. Once in awhile I will allow myself one square of good quality 70% dark chocolate - but just one square, which is about 1/3 of the serving size. This is about 35-50 calories, depending on the brand, and always hits the spot.
  • silramarie
    silramarie Posts: 8
    Options
    I always have those sugary attacks while i'm at work... I get bored at times or just frustrated with the day and want to eat anything & i'm always thinking about chocolate.. My job has vending machines with nothing but junk in it - but I found that they carry Austin Zoo Animal Cookies and if I eat only 16 I would consume 120 calories - or if its just that bad of a day I'll eat the whole bag which is 230 calories (not great - but not bad) So it helps with my cravings - I wish they had a healthier choice here - but I'll make due with my zoo animal cookies...
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    extra sugar free gum.. several different flavors to choose from
  • calicowgirl0582
    Options
    I have the same issue! Sometimes a piece of fruit will cut it. One that I love is yogurt with fresh fruit. That is always yummy. Now for the times I am dying for chocolate and nothing else works, I do a bowl of coca crispies as its only 120 calories per serving.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    jello sugar free pudding! Only 60 calories...
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Try a 1/2 serving dried fruit and 1/2 serving of nuts.
    Today, I am having sour cherries and almonds.
    The friut will help with the quick boost and the sweet, and the nuts will give you longer lasting energy.
  • jamie11k
    jamie11k Posts: 82
    Options
    All of these are good snacks! I find that peeling an orange keeps my hands busy and satisfies the sweet tooth. They are really sweet and juicy! A donut can't give you that!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Fruit - I just had 2 cups of fresh strawberries yum :) - or half a cup of chocolate cheerios w/skim milk, or if I'm out and about I pop in the Extra Sugar Free Gum ( I like Strawberry Banana and Watermelon flavors) - works like a charm!!!

Oh and once your body gets used to healthier, more nutritious foods and less sugar you won't crave as much - give it a few weeks. Then once you are used to it you might give in to a craving and feel sick because your body is not used to all that sweet stuff anymore. Thats what happened with me anyway. Good Luck :happy:
  • seventeenlucky77
    seventeenlucky77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and I just indulged by eating 12 reeces peices.... not wonderful but it satisfied the craving and I didn't eat the whole back. Sometimes I will drink decaf coffee w/ a slpenda and a tablespoon of sugar free hot chocolate mix or chew on a piece of sugar free gum (usually Orbitz).
  • waltoc
    waltoc Posts: 3
    Options
    Fruit is my usual choice, but every once in a while I'll grab a 100 calorie packs of cookies. It satifies the craving and limits quantity so I'm not tempted to overdo.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    fruit and fat free yogurt is always a good one, i had a chopped up banana covered in vanilla yogurt with a few chocolate toffee flavour sprinkles on top was like banoffee pie dessert but low in cals and fat = fantastic!
    or if im really looking for a chocolate fix - options hot chocolate. its made with water instead of milk, i actually prefer it over real hot chocolate from starbucks and other such places AND options hot chocolate comes in loads of different flavours (mint is beautiful!)
  • MyKidzMom
    MyKidzMom Posts: 97
    Options
    Chiquita Apple Grape Bites! Only 70 calories for bag. You can buy them at Wal-Mart for about 1.00 a pack. The apples and grpaes are sweet and fresh and will definitly satisfy a sweet craving!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i have an ALWAYS sugar craving. so i make sure my snacks in between meals incorporate some sort of "sweet" to soothe it. My cliff bar is a chocolate chip cliff bar or my homemade trail mix has a few m&ms in it.
    If i don't give in, I get worse than the cookie monster jonesing for a jar of cookies... :grumble:
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries

Agave sweetened Kamut cakes (like rice cakes but made with Kamut) and a bit of natty pb smeared on top

A juicy granny smith apple with a bit of natty pb

Honestly I would advise against the sugar free type things like pudding, etc.. I used to eat those too and I believe they were causing more cravings.

Oh another GREAT sweet snack are golden raisins...holy moly I feel like I am eating pure sugar when I eat them, and yeah they have a lot of (natural) sugars, but you only need a handful to satisfy.
  • GRose
    GRose Posts: 69
    Options
    It's so funny that I just saw this. :laugh: I was feeling a little sluggish :yawn: and pulled out 1 serving of Hershey's Kisses I keep at my desk. I can have 9 in one serving & that's about 200 calories but I've found if I pull out the 9, I'll be tempted to save some so they will "last" for the rest of the day then I don't even eat all of them. I'm a little weird about the wrappers too so maybe that distracts me a little. :blushing:

I can't wait to go grocery shopping. We just got a Costco card & we'll be buying lots of fruits & veggies... I so want a grilled chicken salad with strawberries, a smoothie... YUM! I'm hungry, can you tell?!?! :laugh: :tongue: