What the deuce is with SUGAR!??! HELP!

Options
Someone please explain this to me....
MFP says no more than 24 grams of sugar a day...
I ate a small mango with breakfast...
Which is 24 grams of sugar.
THERE GOES MY DAILY LIMIT...
over fruit!?!?! REALLY!?!!

Advice?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the very low amount is comes from a assumption of 'discretionary' calories and really relates to 'added sugars'.

Secondly, sugar is a subset of carbs and unless you have a medical condition that requires is, there is no need to track sugars.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree... just watch out for lots of added sugars that are empty carbs. If your progress stalls out and you are looking to see what you could change maybe just look into it and see where you are at. Like everything in life, moderation is key.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the very low amount is comes from a assumption of 'discretionary' calories and really relates to 'added sugars'.

Secondly, sugar is a subset of carbs and unless you have a medical condition that requires is, there is no need to track sugars.

This, basically. The WHO recommends getting up to 10% of calories from sugar.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over unless you have a medical issue that requires you to keep sugars down. Of course, don't get all your sugars from chocolate bars and sugar in your coffee. Fruit is fine... sweets are fine... as long as you are getting in proper calories and don't have a medical need to watch your sugars don't worry about it.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    But doesn't too much lead to fat?
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    No more than 24 grams of sugar is what the average woman should have, according to experts. Now you see why all this fast and easy food isn't so healthy.
    Though I would only focus on calories for now, then focus on your macros a little bit more later. That's what I did. :)
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options

No, fat is caused by overeating. Too much sugar isn't healthy, but it's not gonna make you fat xD
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Too many calories makes you fat, not one individual macro or micronutrient.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I don't even track sugars. As others have said, you don't want to eat a bunch of empty calories with refined sugars, but unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic there is no reason to worry about sugars in fruit, starchy vegetables, etc. My doctor and the dietician I am working with both told me not to pay any attention to sugars at all since I have no issues with my sugar levels. This site is great but they take a very one-size-fits-all approach in their nutritional guidance, in addition to promoting myths like you should drink 8 glasses of water every day.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Too many calories leads to fat gain. Too much sugar, carbs, dietary fat, etc etc will not make you gain fat as long as you are consuming less calories than you use in a day.
  • stongjos
    stongjos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found your question, I was about to ask the same one! But now that I read the answers, I'm not going to track the sugar anymore, I'm gonna focus on more important things like fiber! And by the way, I learned in my biochemistry classes at university that sugar turns into fat in the body, but fat never turns into sugar. :wink:
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask this but I'm glad I saw urs first! Thanks!