Retained Water vs Drinking Enough Water

Options
kloco
kloco Posts: 85 Member
I don't get it. And frankly, I'm pretty lazy to do the research. Why research when I got experts in these message boards?!

Anyway, everyone is so worried about retaining water and drinking enough water. I feel that I'm dehyrated, I have the symptoms (some dry skin, dizzy after a workout) so I've been aiming to drink at least 2 L at day. But then I hear people saying like, "I ate asparagus because it's a natural diuretic."

WHICH IS IT?

Replies

• iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think you can drink too much water, I'm drinking close to a gallon some days and still have dry skin. But one day of drinking alot of water isn't gonna solve that. Drinking water needs to be a habit, as in, choosing it over anything else. I can tell a huge difference now anytime I drink a soda (I've had 3 since I've made these changes). Basically the day after I drink soda I feel bloated, my back aches and I can't get to sleep after drinking soda. But days when I drink water only are the days I feel the best, get the most done in my workouts, and wake up the following morning with my tummy looking slimmer.
  • kloco
    Options
    I gave up soda and sweet drinks for Lent like in 5th grade and never went back. Only water since, but maybe not enough water.
    I'm constantly drinking water now, but I hear people worried about retaining water and taking pills for it.
  • mrsjones81
    mrsjones81 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of water retention comes from too much sodium. If you drink plenty of water and watch your sodium intake your water retention will be lower.
  • iamlaprell
    iamlaprell Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of water retention comes from too much sodium. If you drink plenty of water and watch your sodium intake your water retention will be lower.

Definitely this ^

I do not eat added salt on anything and use very little when I cook. I also don't eat alot of packaged foods where I can help it. So maybe this is why I see such a difference in my waist in one day of drinking a gallon of water.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Dry skin is usually a lack of oils in your skin not water. Water retention is usually eating too much salt or having muscles trying to repair.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I've heard that you actually CAN drink too much water and it can put strain on your kidneys. HOWEVER... aim for the 8 cups (250 ml) a day!!! Organs function better, skin is hydrated, you feel better, you feel fuller, why not drink water? YAY WATER
  • kloco
    Options
    I've heard that you actually CAN drink too much water and it can put strain on your kidneys. HOWEVER... aim for the 8 cups (250 ml) a day!!! Organs function better, skin is hydrated, you feel better, you feel fuller, why not drink water? YAY WATER

That can't be right. 250 mL is like nothing.
  • misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    8 cups at 250 ml a day i think is what this person was saying....
  • kloco
    Options
    HA! ok
    Well at least I know I'm drinking enough water.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've found that drinking extra water actually flushes water out. I was only drinking 4 cups a day for a few days and when I weighed in I'd only lost 1/2 pound when my calorie deficit said it should've been 2. I drank 10 cups of water that day (luckily I was home because I was running to the bathroom every 10 minutes lol) and when I weighed the next morning, BAM 1.5 pounds gone.

It never made sense to me that putting more water in your body would give you less water in your body, but I'm a believer now! I aim for 7-9 cups now (I don't do more because I've heard too much can flush vitamins out of your system. Not sure if that's true though.) which means I don't really have room to drink anything but water. Fine by me, saves calories ;)