Trainer working me too hard?

Options
Tykk
Tykk Posts: 153 Member
Morning all!

I signed up with a personal trainer to get a kick-start to my exercise program. I'm seeing him once a week, and doing another session on my own.

I'm frankly feeling like I've been taken through the wringer each session, and am not enjoying them at all. I'm wondering whether he's pushing too hard. For example, in the cardio part of the workout, he's got me at > 160 bpm heart rate, spiking as high as 175 bpm. I'm thinking for a 48 year old man weighing 270 lbs, this is ludicrous.

Am I correct, or just a wuss?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Are you still breathing? Then I'd say the answer is "no". Sounds like you're getting your money's worth.
  • danlarson
    Options
    I've had similar experiences. You pay them to push you past your comfort zone. You will get results this way.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Here's how I think of it: My trainer pushes me to do more than I thought I could, more than I knew I would on my own. That's why I pay her! And while sometimes I'm barely walking afterwards, and while sometimes I hate her for what she makes me do, there are times when I feel empowered and awesome and STRONG for what I accomplished with her.

Stick with it!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Faint, puke, die or keep going. I'd be pissed if I hired a trainer and didn't leave the gym feeling like I couldn't move one more step.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You are just going past what your body is used to. Sounds like a great service being given so far.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Faint, puke, die or keep going. I'd be pissed if I hired a trainer and didn't leave the gym feeling like I couldn't move one more step.

This!! You're still alive aren't you?
  • Novemayune
    Options
    How many sessions have you had thus far? How many are you planning on? When is your progress meeting?

Long story short? This is what you are paying this man for. Give him your trust and he WILL reshape your body. Guaranteed. This is his livelihood. Maybe it also means you need to push harder exercising on your own. If you wanted someone to hold your hand, you should find a workout buddy. A trainer is going to push you harder and farther than you would do on your own. And you will learn what your body is truly capable of. Have you never seen Biggest Loser?

You are for sure getting your money's worth. Thank him next time you see him.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I hopefully you went to the doctor before you started exercising and got a clean bill of health!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    when I meet with my trainer, I can barely lift my hands above my waist, every step I feel like I'm going to fall over and I'm so tired I go home and wanna nap. You're not paying them to make a new BFF, they're there to PUSH you!

And really, if you're only going to the gym twice a week then it'll be harder when you DO see him.

Keep it up, he's gonna help you get kickstarted for sure, LOL
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What is this 'too hard' of which you speak? :laugh:
  • andreajp
    andreajp Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer for a year and his words to me were always "If it HURTS stop. If you are just UNCOMFORTABLE quit whining."
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personal trainers are not gods...and there are good ones and bad ones. It would seem to me that he has you doing a lot of work in an anaerobic zone with your HR being that high. Is it that high throughout or just in spurts and then it comes down and then back up again (interval training)...what's the average? Generally speaking, it is ok to work in an anaerobic zone 1-3 times per week...whether you're truly over training comes down to how often this type of exercise is being performed and duration. If you're doing it once per week, I'd say no biggie....3x per week I would say ok, but make sure the other days you workout are truly in an aerobic zone or recovery zone. Just my $.02
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

Agreed-personal trainers aren't cheap-when I hand over my money I want something for it. I push myself at the gym but there's another type of pushing completly from the trainer. keep at it
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer for a year and his words to me were always "If it HURTS stop. If you are just UNCOMFORTABLE quit whining."
    That is very interesting because there definitely is a difference. A trainer wouldnt want to do damage so if there is a real pain and your body is protesting (not soreness or out of breath), speak up. Explain what youre feeling.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer once tell me that if I didn't hate him at some point during our session, then he wasn't doing his job.
    I agree. And I hated him for at least half our session time. hahaha He was definitely doing his job. :wink:
  • hifromjamers1984
    hifromjamers1984 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Amen to everyone who has already posted on this thread. I'm a 28 year old (for another week anyway) female and I have a trainer. He pushes me so hard that putting my coat on to leave the gym is painful. If you aren't hurting (at least a little bit anyway), sweating like you've never sweat before and rediculously tired after your session then your trainer isn't pushing you hard enough. I've been working with my trainer since the beginning of December and I've noticed a HUGE difference in my endurance/strength and body overall. Your trainer is there to push you past your comfort zone and get you results. Have you taken measurements? If you haven't have then done and then do them again in a month (that's what I do anyway). I saw HUGE results in the first month and that was strictly doing the routines that my trainer gave me. Keep the faith grasshopper. There will be a happy ending to this story for sure :)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    It's the best feeling to finish a workout and feel like you've been taken through the wringer.

Tough it out, buddy.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

It's like the difference between hurt and injured. I coach kids hockey, and of someone comes off the ice in distress, I always ask the question (after are you ok, what happened, etc) ... "Are you injured or just hurt?"

If you're injured, I'll get your parents over here and give them the key to the locker room. If you're just hurt, shake it off, your line's on next.

(Don't get me wrong, it's not that cold. Kids dont always know the answer to that question, so you have to help them figure it out)

but I digress. Sooner or later you're going to LOVE feeling like you've been run through the wringer and will look forward to "good pain"
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options

I LOVE this! And this is exactly what your trainer's attitude should be. If you could do it on your own, you wouldn't need him to make you work so hard.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I say see your doctor and ask him/her if it's too much. And I agree you hire a trainer to push you harder than you would push yourself. Mine sure does and I love him for it!