Trainer working me too hard?

Options

Replies

• Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer for a year and his words to me were always "If it HURTS stop. If you are just UNCOMFORTABLE quit whining."

Love this. I have a lot of uncertainty about what my body can do and a touch of body dysmorphia - my trainer told me that if I tell her I "can't" do something, I have to give her 10 burpees. That's been motivation to keep my mouth shut!
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    As I was told as a kid during 3 mile runs, "Puke to the left, run to the right." Get your money's worth with the trainer, you'll get used to it and be able to push yourself more if you keep at it!
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I signed up with a personal trainer to get a kick-start to my exercise program. I'm seeing him once a week, and doing another session on my own.

I'm frankly feeling like I've been taken through the wringer each session, and am not enjoying them at all. I'm wondering whether he's pushing too hard. For example, in the cardio part of the workout, he's got me at > 160 bpm heart rate, spiking as high as 175 bpm. I'm thinking for a 48 year old man weighing 270 lbs, this is ludicrous.

If you've got medical clearance, I don't see a problem with it.

Usually the question of "too hard" is defined in relation to your following workout. If one day's workout is so demanding that you cannot complete your next workout day as scheduled, then you are pushing too hard.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I started when I was 300lbs and I would see heart rates in the 197-198 range often, probably averaging 170+. I'm still alive (and 80lbs lighter) now so I think you will be just fine :) I generally feel that if you're comfortable when you're training, you're just mailing it in. It should be hard, or you're wasting your time (and in this case, your money).

Edit: I wanted to mention as well, I wouldn't sweat the heart rate too much. If a doctor has cleared you for exercise and you don't have heart-related medical problems it really doesn't matter. If you exert yourself too much your body just won't let you. You'll be forced to slow down, you'll get light-headed, you might even puke (never happened to me), but you won't just keel over and die.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Suck it up. Quit whinning. Keep at it.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Have they figured your max heart rate and target zones based on your height, weight, and age? That should be your limit-point.
    I wear an HRM and my trainer wants me to hit Zone 5 (the max) for a minute or two, but then let it drop back down to Zone 2 before we hit the next circuit.... back up to Z 5 briefly, and so on.
  • partmaps
    Options
    Ask your doctor about this. For me... that is too high a heart-rate. But I'm quite a bit older. For you it might be spot-on. Better to be cautious and check with your doc.

Some random thoughts...

What are your goals? Maybe you and your trainer are out of sync with this.

What are your trainers qualifications?

What is your resting heart rate?

A couple of year back I told my doctor what my h/r was during an aerobic workout and he said... "Oh-no... you can work harder than that"

How long does it take your hr to return too normal?

I occasionally feel a bit nauseous after a tough work out. But if I don't feel pumped and up, then I know I need to cut back.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has a small group session training.... 1 trainer, 4 -5 people per group. The first couple of times I went it was OMG, and I could hardly walk for 2 days after, fast-forward 5 or 6 sessions, and we were doing similar exercises, and we were all lifting heavier kettlebells, going faster on the treadmill/bike... showing major improvements!

Yes there are some exercises I cannot do, because of injury, but he always supplies an alternative when he knows someone cant do the set exercise... you just have to let them know what you cant do.

Being pushed like this was a major eye opener for me as I thought I was working as hard as I could, but obviously I had that little bit more to give.
  • jeffmineo
    Options
    Thats way too MUCH! Forget all the whinning comments. Thats just wrong. At that rate your not burning fat your burning sugars that already have been processed. Its not the zon you should be in for weight loss. I am 5'8" who was 265 last year. I am down 75lbs. It wont take you long to get up to that but start is just wrong by the trainer. Just look up info for yourself and you will see for fat burning your HR should be alot less at your size and age. I hate cardio but its a evil needed to a point. Its not how fast or hard you go its where your HR should be.
  • Katie_Norton
    Katie_Norton Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    best cardio test for me is ...

can I hold a convo? --- not trying hard enough
    can I speak a sentence? --- decent pace
    can I speak a few words? --- I'm pushing myself
    am I grunting? --- working towards a PR

Trainers are there to push you, otherwise you might stay in your comfort zone. I had a trainer a few years back and when my sessions were up, he told me the lines above and I still ask myself them when I am working out.

Good luck
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Aside from 1 response where the poster said he was older than the op, how many of you are over 48? It looks like, by avatars, that most are younger, and a 175 HR is ok. Personally, as a 50 year old, I wouldn't want my HR at 160 for any extended period and definitely wouldn't want to see 175. If the forumula of 220 minus your age is correct, then a 48 year old's max rate is 172. Your target heart rate for cardio is somewhere around 80% of that, so around 135-140.

For someone who just started working out, is older, and is 270lbs, I wouldn't go anywhere near the HR that trainer has him doing on a workout.

I agree a trainer should push you, but pushing you beyond what are acceptable safe HR levels isn't smart or responsible.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I signed up with a personal trainer to get a kick-start to my exercise program. I'm seeing him once a week, and doing another session on my own.

I'm frankly feeling like I've been taken through the wringer each session, and am not enjoying them at all. I'm wondering whether he's pushing too hard. For example, in the cardio part of the workout, he's got me at > 160 bpm heart rate, spiking as high as 175 bpm. I'm thinking for a 48 year old man weighing 270 lbs, this is ludicrous.

If you've got medical clearance, I don't see a problem with it.

Usually the question of "too hard" is defined in relation to your following workout. If one day's workout is so demanding that you cannot complete your next workout day as scheduled, then you are pushing too hard.

Agreed, leaving the gym a sopping mess on legs too wobbly to go down the steps without the hand rail is great as long as you are able to come back and do what you have planned (probably less intense) the next day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Morning all!

Am I correct, or just a wuss?

Have you thrown up? Regularly?

But for your age that HR does seem a little too high IMHO. I would talk to the trainer. I work around there but I am 33.
  • Charbonie1
    Options
    Sounds about right to me. I can't walk down stairs without serious shakes or put on my lipstick when I'm done. Over 165 for the entire session would be a little much however, but I am pretty sure you'd faint or vomit if it was for that long.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Aside from 1 response where the poster said he was older than the op, how many of you are over 48? It looks like, by avatars, that most are younger, and a 175 HR is ok. Personally, as a 50 year old, I wouldn't want my HR at 160 for any extended period and definitely wouldn't want to see 175. If the forumula of 220 minus your age is correct, then a 48 year old's max rate is 172. Your target heart rate for cardio is somewhere around 80% of that, so around 135-140.

For someone who just started working out, is older, and is 270lbs, I wouldn't go anywhere near the HR that trainer has him doing on a workout.

I agree a trainer should push you, but pushing you beyond what are acceptable safe HR levels isn't smart or responsible.

I'm a whole year younger and started out weighing 330 lbs.
  • Charbonie1
    Options
    I'm 48.
  • chabeli_00115
    Options
    I think that living a healthy life is something you HAVE enjoy a lot so you can make it a habit and a way of life.

Some people enjoy to PUSH themselves too hard and some people dont.

Of you ask me, I like to push myself but in a moderate way, and I started to enjoy my workouts.

If you dont like it, DONT PUSH yourself... go at your own pace and talk to your trainner. If he keeps pushing you he is going to make you to quit and you are doing sooo well.

KEEP it up! Life is about enjoying the things we do! So dont do anything you dont like.

After all you only need 3-4 times of cardio a week to loose weight :)
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You hired a personal trainer because your mind was too weak to do it on your own. This isn't a bad thing. Some people just need a kick in the pants. The mind will quit LONG before your muscles do. I commend this PT...he is kicking your butt and that's what you need. You will not see results by staying in your comfort zone. If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You're getting your money's work!! Results aren't accomplished within your comfort zone! People don't push themselves because they don't think they can do it; trainers are there to prove you wrong. But, if you're concerned about your heart rate, that is something you need to mention to your trainer.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I'm a whole year younger and started out weighing 330 lbs.

Were you pushing a 175 HR your 1st 2 workouts? If so, more power to ya!