How to avoid hating myself?

Options
I had an eye opening moment a couple of weeks ago when i finally gathered the courage to step on my scale and see my weight, I had gained almost 40 lbs from the last time I had weighed myself which was about 5 months ago. I'm probably still in shock, I started changing my habits as of 2 weeks ago, I followed the Atkins diet for the first week and lost 5.5 lbs but I was advised to follow a more healthy diet plan and then I remembered I had signed up to this website months ago although I never really followed it.

The 2nd week I lost 2.2 lbs, I know I should've been happy but I was actually somewhat disappointed since I wanted to lose more. I have been walking 5x per week and have lowered my caloric intake to 1200 per day (opposed to my almost 3000 a day) but I can't avoid hating myself for allowing me to get this far.

How do you find ur motivation?

Replies

• jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    You can't convince yourself to stop hating yourself. You're not on trial. You're not guilty. You're just human. Today is a new day, and you can make a difference choice, including the choice to love and forgive yourself.
  • nnelson33
    Options
    For me weight loss definitely ebbs and flows. I became very emotional when I had been on a plateau for a month and a half, so I decided to switch things up and got a personal trainer to work on strength training with me.

I suffer from PCOS so it takes even longer to lose the weight, so sometimes when reading other's stories I would get frustrated hearing how other people would lose over 100 lbs in 8 months, where it took me 6 months to lose 30.

One of the best suggestions that I can give you is that as you lose weight begin to use weights that are representative of how much you've lost. My trainer made me wear a weighted vest that was 25 lbs and I had to run stairs with it on. It felt awful and I felt like I was just drowning in extra weight. That day totally reminded me why I've embarked on this journey, and know that it will take a long time but so much more worth it in the end.

I've hated myself, the way I've looked, and always felt uncomfortable in my body for way too long. I'm certainly not a size 0, and only a bit over half way to my goal weight, but I really am so much happier and content with myself.

Stick in there and take each day as it comes. It's great to plan ahead but if the plan fails, know that YOU have control over the decisions that you make that day. It makes this whole process much more manageable & less stressful!

Best of luck, and know that you can do it!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    This is what I say only two events will happen in your life. You will get old and you will die not to mention taxes. If you do not die permaturely you are going to get old. End of story cant stop it you are going to get old. So how do you want to be old? Do you want to be a frail invalid who cant change their own diaper or do you want to be strong and independent? You make the choice its about the only choice you have in life. Your desiscion to keep moving should be where do you want to be in 6 months, a year, 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 30 years, 50 years...

Oh and guess what you get to do this every day for the rest of your life so each day hour and minute is a chance to do better. It's up to you and what you care about.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories, lose gradually, you'll feel better. It will be easier to keep it off and you'll feel better about yourself long term. Best wishes.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I had an eye opening moment a couple of weeks ago when i finally gathered the courage to step on my scale and see my weight, I had gained almost 40 lbs from the last time I had weighed myself which was about 5 months ago. I'm probably still in shock, I started changing my habits as of 2 weeks ago, I followed the Atkins diet for the first week and lost 5.5 lbs but I was advised to follow a more healthy diet plan and then I remembered I had signed up to this website months ago although I never really followed it.

The 2nd week I lost 2.2 lbs, I know I should've been happy but I was actually somewhat disappointed since I wanted to lose more. I have been walking 5x per week and have lowered my caloric intake to 1200 per day (opposed to my almost 3000 a day) but I can't avoid hating myself for allowing me to get this far.

How do you find ur motivation?
    You'll stop hating yourself when you start liking yourself unconditionally. And you'll be amazed at how much more effectively you lose.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can't change your past, you can only change your future. Channel your feelings into doing something about it. If you need to, think, "I'm really ticked off the old me let this happen! Well I'm going to show the old me I'm better than that! I'm going to have big salad for lunch! I'm going to work out this afternoon, that will prove I'm better than the way things used to be!"
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I have a plan in place and try to stick to it. When I fall off the wagon, I tend to have a rant at a forum or a friend who understands (and sometimes a friend who doesn't!). The point I am making is that I get it out of my system - some people use the gym and others visit the fridge and other people do other things. At the end of the day I don't think it matters which you choose as long as it is socially acceptable and works for you. I used to visit the fridge and then I would feel guilty and even more low so I learnt to redirect my frustration and anger at something else. You are in the right place which is a good start. Lastly, never, ever, give up!! If you want someone who understands a good rant, then add me as a friend!!
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 8 pound weight loss in only two weeks. You may have your expectations a bit too high if you are not happy with a 2 pound weight loss in one week. What motivates me is seeing the scale weight go down and being able to fit in smaller clothes and looking better than I did when I first started. You have to find for yourself what works for you. I can tell you all day long how you shouldn't hate yourself but that is a choice you have to make. You are doing a great job, just keep doing what you are doing for a long time and be patient. You can do this.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    I cannot stress this enough: START LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS.

I've been quite thin and strong and I promise it has nothing to do with loving your body. I really started loving my body when I started to appreciate it for what it can DO, not for what it LOOKS like.

You need to gain an appreciation for your body that goes beyond what it looks like, and that is what weights do for you. Trust me on this one. When you see yourself getting stronger, you will slowly learn to love yourself.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Trying not to hate myself is something I've struggled with my whole life. I've been convinced that I'm an overweight loser who can't do anything right for a good portion of my tween, teen and now adult years.

Then I realized something - no one else was telling me this anymore - *I* was. And I sat and thought for a bit and I realized that I am a great person. I bend over backwards for other people, I give and give and never ask for anything in return. Yes, I can get passive-aggressive, yes I'm a very sensitive person - but I have a lot more strengths than I do weaknesses. Taking control of my weight was something I decided to do to prove to myself that I can do it without the surgeries my family members have had. It was time to do something for me, instead of for anyone else.

Two pounds a week is a great number. 1200 calories a day is likely not nearly enough for you right now. I would try to look into that and make sure you're eating what is going to fuel your body and not some number that you think is going to be a quick fix. Good luck!!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

I've been quite thin and strong and I promise it has nothing to do with loving your body. I really started loving my body when I started to appreciate it for what it can DO, not for what it LOOKS like.

You need to gain an appreciation for your body that goes beyond what it looks like, and that is what weights do for you. Trust me on this one. When you see yourself getting stronger, you will slowly learn to love yourself.
    This, I am amazed at what I am capable of.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'd like to gently challenge your thinking.

Hate is such a strong work and ascribes such emotion and (forgive the pun) weight to actions. These actions in your past that have contributed to gaining weight DO NOT, in any way, reflect on who you are as a person or the QUALITY of your composition. We all do things that, in retrospect, we might do differently. All of those things weave together a beautiful tapestry of your life experiences and make you... YOU. That's not good, bad, evil, or heavenly. It just... IS.

Learn from your past choices. Reflect on what's worked for you, what hasn't, what you'd like to change, and where you want to be in a week, a month, a year, and in 5 years.

Think of advice you'd give your very best friend if she was telling you this. What would you say to her? Would you belittle, berate, or think less of her? Probably not. Be at least that gentle with yourself.

So, now is the time for change. TODAY is the day - the MINUTE - you can reassert control and work toward whatever vision you have for yourself. Those past choices, everything that has brought you to this moment, is a learning experience. Realize you DESERVE to be happy and healthy, and you have the power to go after it.

You can do this. You're worth it.

As for the pace you are losing, it sounds very reasonable. Remember this gain didn't occur in a week, and the weight isn't going to fall off in a week. And in fact, if it does, you may be setting yourself up for future failure. That kind of thinking suggests you may see lifestyle change as something temporary... one of those things that "I'll just follow this diet until I reach 'x' goal." While some people can have temporary weight loss success with that kind of goal, my personal belief is for long term success... you have to work to embrace this as your new way of life. With that in mind, you may want to look at your calorie goals again and make sure they make sense for sustained weight loss, that it's enough to give you the fuel you need and not make you feel deprived.

I appreciate your post and your honesty. I encourage you to try to objectively look at yourself and see everything you're doing RIGHT NOW that's RIGHT. Identify what you want to change, make a plan to achieve it... work that plan. When you stumble (which you will - we all do - know it, plan for it), don't let that derail you. Refocus and know it's all part of this journey.

My very best to you.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm going to throw another comment to the affirmative here. I have diagnosed body dysmorphia, I've struggled with anorexia for half my life...

Taking up weight lifting has changed my life, my perception, everything.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think viewing this as a diet is a fundamental error many of us make. The word diet suggests and start and finish. You need to think of this as a lifestyle change. It is important to find foods and exercise fits your lifestyle and you enjoy. It will truly make the process a much smoother process. There are a number of good books that can help you fight off this problem too. Being happy and content is something you need to practice daily. It does make things better. I am not some self loving whackado either. I have a coach that has helped immensely with changing my mindset from a whiner complainer to someone that a very content happy guy that keeps marching forward every day.

Good luck
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

So much this!!! Probably the best advice I have heard about this (sadly common) problem since I've been on MFP.
  • alednnz
    Options
    thank you all, you helped me put things into perspective