Sugar intake

Options
Hello - I was just wondering how people stay at or under their alloted daily sugar suggested by MFP. Most of mine come from fruit, is this bad or nothing to worry about?

Replies

• roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I almost always go over the recommended sugar intake. They say this turns to fat, so should be regulated. I'd be interested in other people's info and help. BUMP!
  • Dennish68
    Dennish68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i am over every single day! it is hard not to be becasue the allotment is so low it seems. I had dried blueberries in my oatmeal and it was 29g sugar! it is in so many things so i try not to worry about it too much and make sure most of the sugar is naturally occuring.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I don't look at macros. Especially sugar because I always go over the limit set by MFP. Just by eating 2 toast in the morning i'm busting my sugar intake.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Sugar is the one thing I really watch.

Diagnosed as diabetic, 5 days before christmas, I decided enough was enough.

If my sugar is ok, my carbs will be too
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I ignore sugar and track carbs as a whole instead. Unless you're pre-diabetic or already diabetic there's no need really.
  • ivyana25
    Options
    I am always over on sugar also... because of the fruit... Im no expert or anything but i think that the processed sugars are the ones that turn into fat. i once read in a book i dont remember what it was called but it said that our body needs sugar to make antibodies... So i dont stress on going over on sugar as long as i know its coming from a natural source "fruit".
  • sagsy
    sagsy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi,

If you want to lose weight quickly you need to limit yourself to small amounts of fruit and if you like fruit and cant live without it then you should try eating strawberries which has less sugar then most other fruit.
  • Vmax1992
    Vmax1992 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go over it from time to time. I love fruit, but it doesn't seem to take much to push me over. I use unsalted nuts for a snack, .25 cup at any time. Salt is the biggie I need to watch, high BP. I personally have not had an issue with going over the sugar from time to time. I know it is mostly fruit, FF yogurt, etc. for me. So I don't worry to much as long as the rest of my numbers look good
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a condition treat a carb as a carb. However I will tell you when I bulk I will eat a lot of simple carbs so I will be hungry again faster. When I cut I typically only have simple carbs post workout and complex the rest of the day.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm with most of the others. I don't worry about going over but watch my "added" sugar intake. I'm not too worried about the sugar that comes from fruit and other whole foods. Someone once told me that you don't get fat from eating too many apples :) Now while, that's not completely true...that's how I try to look at it.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me, if I have a good breakfast with super high protein (30g is the goal for breakfast) and less than 5g net carbs (total carbs minus fiber), I don't have any trouble keeping the sugars in check for the rest of the day. The problem with sugar is less that is turns to fat and more that it messes with your cravings for more sugar, starchy carbs, etc. . If you can keep your blood sugar level, with no more than 25 net carbs at any one meal or snack and 75 or less for the whole day, you'll notice that you crave (and eat) less sugar. I've lost 38lbs over the last 4 months with this method. I hope this helps!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It was recommended to me by a fellow MFPer that I watch my sugar, but it was freaking me out to see my value going into the red every day from fruit. So I don't watch sugar any more. I'm not diabetic and believe that eating fruit is a good thing.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I still am a bit edgy with sugar intake, but mine is from fruits and natural sources. I am always over by a bit too. As long as I reach my calorie goal and macros everyday, I'm fine.