Crossfit or Bootcamp

Options

Replies

• alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    stop bashing something you won't even try and know nothing about. You probably just can't handle a real workout like Crossfit. Enjoy the elliptical and walking on the treadmill for hours at a time. I'll take my 20 minute WOD any day! This if for Health_Gal but I am sure you figured that out.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 years old, weigh 230 lbs (having lost 100), and started lifting in October. I deadlift 285. (It's actually kinda low, since I squat 330).

I'm really sorry you have decided to sell yourself short. But convincing others to also sell themselves short won't change that.

You know what? I feel absolutely NO need to risk injury or prove anything by trying to lift heavy. There are SO many exercise programs and classes available that are much more enjoyable and far less dangerous -- AND less expensive -- than Crossfit.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You know what? I feel absolutely NO need to risk injury or prove anything by trying to lift heavy. There are SO many exercise programs and classes available that are much more enjoyable and far less dangerous -- AND less expensive -- than Crossfit.

Good for you. Go do them,and stop bashing something you have no experience with.
  • alissadough84
    alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 years old, weigh 230 lbs (having lost 100), and started lifting in October. I deadlift 285. (It's actually kinda low, since I squat 330).

I'm really sorry you have decided to sell yourself short. But convincing others to also sell themselves short won't change that.

I am by no means an "elite" athlete. I weigh 157 pounds and can deadlift 170 and back squat 130.... it's called building muscles in your core. Stop bashing something that you aren't brave enough to try and offering advice for those that do. Just because it isn't your preferred workout doesn't mean it's not for someone else. All the trainers are certified and it's actually their goal to keep you from getting hurt. I don't feel like I have to prove anything to anyone being able to "lift heavy". I just have ambition, Crossfit is extremely enjoyable. There is quite a sense of accomplishment when you do something you didn't think you could.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Crossfit trainer certification is a JOKE! If people pay Crossfit money and answer some questions the way they want, they certify them.

http://convictionwp.weebly.com/1/post/2012/09/5-reasons-why-crossfit-sucks-and-drives-me-nuts.html

I wish people would quit forking out so much money to that franchise and instead support their YMCAs and other local gyms.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Some boot camp classes can be to extreme. I attended one once that was. I never went back Crossfit is kind of known for being extreme. They aren't all bad.
  • KikuLogan
    KikuLogan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My local YMCA is more expensive than Crossfit and you definitely do not get the 1 on 1 attention. They scale the workouts. It's not for everyone but my husband is a chiropractor, I have excellent trainers, I'm very mindful of my movements and I'm seeing results that you absolutely WILL NOT EVER SEE without lifting. Like everyone else said, don't knock it til' you try it but it's not looking like you are interested in challenging yourself to achieve a higher level of fitness. Crossfit gives you something you'll never see from walking/running on your treadmill and/or doing a few movements with small hand weights.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Circuit training, high effort calisthenics, high impact aerobics.

All work, all have relatively similar calorie burns. Harcore Crossfit/Bootcamp workout should be a little higher though.

Your running pace is the sniff test IMHO. If you know your max running pace over that unit of time, you should be able to evaluate whether your are working harder/easier than you would running over that time frame. And the calorie burns for running are pretty well known/accurate. Most things wouldn't be a higher burn than running, but some Crossfit WOD's would (I feel a 1/2/3 pullup/pushup/squat for time/amrap workout is the highest calorie burn physically possible in a unit of time).
  • jen6224
    Options
    I have been doing crossfit for two weeks now. At first, I have to tell you I was scared. I am definitely out of shape, definitely overweight -I need to lose 80 pounds. All I have to say is that the gym I have been using is great! They have to scale quite a bit for me, partially because I am new, but mostly because I am out of shape and overweight. I have noticed in my two weeks that things are getting easier, I am not so sore that I cannot move anymore, but I am noticing that I am sore each day. The workouts are different, and there are people that are pushing you. I love that. I wouldn't be doing what I was doing going to the gym by myself and not having that support. I wouldn't push myself or come up with these workouts as I would feel they are too hard and without that motivation, it is hard to do.Quite frankly it is hard to do even with the motivation. The one thing I love the best is being able to get weights and cardio in in the one hour. It is awesome. Plus, the way that I feel afterwards is great. It is not only great because of all the endorphins, but it is good because I know what I accomplished. For those of you that are scared, I was worried about what the others would think. It is interesting because everyone is so preoccupied trying to do their workout to their max ability that noone really pays attention to how many reps I do, they are worried about their own. I have learned more about proper stretching, form, etc. in the last two weeks than I have ever learned in my 6 years of belonging to a big box gym.
  • roseyrose2000
    roseyrose2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the input!!. Their are alot of opiniums about crossfit. Its great for some and not for others. Whatever works for you , you stick with. I do crossift 3 days and regular gym 3 other days. I will say one thing. My core since joining crossfit has really strenghthened to the point that i have no more knee pain or back pain. I was having lower back issues pressing on my nerves shooting down my long for like a little over a year. I started crossfit mid November and I cant beleive that i have no pain AT ALL. I can only relate it to the core work and back extensions that we do. So although there could be more risk for injury,(which you could get from just lifting weights) i personlly beleive it was more like my physcal therapy in strengthening my core and back..

SO i will log it under circuit training .

Happy Valentines day!!!
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    Wow. Shocked to hear so many negative things about CROSSFIT. I am a crossfitter and wouldn't change it for the world. I can't do all the heavy lifting that's involved in the Olympic weightlifting part of Crossfit, but I do scale down when I need to as well as modifying a workout when needed... which is a majority of the time. Having been a member of a regular gym for years then going to a Crossfit gym has totally changed my life. I was scared to begin to be honest. But once you get started...it's addicting. The instructors are amazing and no matter the size of the class, I always feel like I am getting a one on one experience. When I think I can't finish a workout of the day, WOD, not only do the instructors root me on but also the others in the class. We have men and women of all ages, shapes, and sizes and they do what works for them. They ensure that I have to correct form in no matter what exercise I am doing. Being a police officer Crossfit has helped me tremendously in the physical aspect as well as given me a greater level of confidence. Please, do not knock on something and bash this "brand" until you have tried it. My warm ups are your workouts. I am sooooo proud to be a Crossfitter!
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    Ever see the shirt with the person on the elliptical and it says "Fail" on the front and on the back has a pic of a person with the bar and says "Win"? Lol. That's for health_gal. Hahahaha.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    You don't have to do heavy lifting. And if you can't do the rx, which I'm guessing you couldn't, you scale to do what you are capable of doing. Use common sense. The instructors help you, that's what they're there for. Proper form is the key.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    I have to ask Ms. Health_Gal......have YOU tried Crossfit at all?
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Crossfit. I checked it out once, expecting some kind of obstacle course (for some reason), and was surprised to see them doing high reps with Olympic lifts and truly horrible form. Olympic lifts are fantastic for building strength, but they're not meant to be done with high reps, and good form is a must. I had to wonder how many injuries they had in that place each month.

To each his own, but I would not recommend Crossfit to anyone.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    The fact that the Crossfit organization feels the need to create T-shirts that put down other people's workouts is another good reason to avoid dealing with that franchise.

The gym I go to in addition to the YMCA is locally owned (not a big box gym or franchise) and offers a reasonable boot camp class, personal training, and other services that help people to lose weight, gain strength, and get healthy without the high pressure "do it or die trying" attitude that is so common in Crossfit boxes.
  • kschlitz
    Options
    I have to chime in on this. Crossfit can be a major cause of Vertebral Artery Dissection in this NEW fad exercise. This leads to the main cause of stroke in young people. Not worth it. Not well known, until you are the one with the stroke, if you survive it. Ask any neurologist or stroke team. Life changing.

It can also be a major cause of erectile dysfunction, kidney failure, and cooties. Just take my word for it.
  • kschlitz
    Options
    Just in case a crossfitter wants to know the actual risks and symptoms of Vertebral Arterial Dissection,follow the link attached. Immediate medical attention is the key.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/761451-overview
  • KikuLogan
    KikuLogan Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking she's afraid to try it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    It is GOOD to be "afraid" to start an exercise program that is so extreme that it can cause unnecessary injury.

That is called COMMON SENSE.

RE: "I am not so sore that I cannot move anymore,"

A responsible coach would have seen to it that you were NEVER so sore that it was that hard to move after a workout. He should have started you out at a more scaled level and not been so pushy -- especially when you were new to many of the exercises and not used to working out that hard.

These days, there are plenty of exercise programs available that offer circuit training or boot camp style training where you can get the benefits people often associate with the variety of exercises in Crossfit workouts without having to deal with the extreme "do it or die trying" attitude that is so often associated with that organization.

Boot camp classes can be good or bad, but like anything else, it's good to watch a few classes before you get involved to find out if the coaching style works for you and if the level of exercise is more extreme than you need.