Calculating Crock Pot Recipes?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am making chicken in the crock pot...the recipe calls to add 1 cup pineapple juice, 1/3 cup soy sauce, and 1/2 cup brown sugar. How should I calculate those calories? Obviously, not all the juice will soak in nor will I drink it....

Replies

• AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'd just count it anyway, it's better to over estimate than to under estimate.
  • Katey911
    Katey911 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'd just count it anyway, it's better to over estimate than to under estimate.

Yep. That's what I do.
  • JTick
    Options
    Yeah, but it's like an extra 200-300 calories...That's a lot of over estimating.
  • JTick
    Options
    Just checked the database...it would be an extra 586 calories...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Why don't you cut those portions in half? You won't need that much pineapple, soy and brown sugar anyway. It will be yummy with less. Add some garlic and pepper to make it more flavorful.
  • JTick
    Options
    I ended up cutting the soy down to less than 1/4 cup since it's not my favorite taste, and mixed the pineapple juice about 1/2 and 1/2 with water. I should've cut the sugar down some too, but I dumped it in and then realized how much it was.
  • sheyennelilly
    sheyennelilly Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted a thread about counting calories in a marinade. I think you could probably apply the same rule for a decent estimation. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/669467-how-to-calculate-calories-in-a-marinade-finally
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Well.....how was it? I'm hungry.
  • JTick
    Options
    Lol I was actually pretty disappointed. A little to sweet for my taste...I'm not the biggest fan of pineapple juice in recipes and the soy sauce didn't cut the sweetness enough for me. Oh well, I tried something new!
  • JTick
    Options
    It probably would have been good on ham though!
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of cutting the portions you add to begin with, and/or cutting with water as you did. But I would count the full amount for what you add -- after you divide the meal into servings, it's not as much extra per serving, but you're still playing on the safe side.