Activity level is stressing me out!

Options
I'm getting a little stressed out over this whole activity level thing. Some websites encourage different to others and in my case it makes quite a bit difference in the calories needed. I'm trying to gain half a pound a week as I'm underweight, I do not want to put on too much weight too quickly and I don't want to get used to a really high calorie intake as when it's time to maintain it will be too difficult. I work an office job where I'm at my desk most of the day but do walk around a bit to the printer and do the odd mail out etc. after work I cook every night and do about 5-6hours housework through out the week. I do sit and watch tv at night but have pets so up and down seeing to them! Is sedentary for me or lightly active? Sedentary implies sitting basically all day and night? I do usually do an exercise (toning abs) class weekly too and weekends I usually on my feet all day at least Saturday or Sunday shopping or tidying etc.

Replies

• robinsnest02
    robinsnest02 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would put sedentary and then add in any activity.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd count that as sedentary, personally. On days when you feel you're more active you can always add in a few hundred calories. You can also always up your calories if you're not gaining or lower them if you're gaining too quickly. I'd definitely encourage you to lift heavy weights while trying to gain so that you gain (hopefully) more muscle than fat and have a good, strong body.
  • kaylieland
    kaylieland Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I think I will just add 100 calories a day to my sedentary bmr if its ok I should gain half a pound every 2.5 weeks and if its too low il be maintaining the lightly active option!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM and track your daily calories for three days - average them. This will show you what you burn every day. If you want to gain or lose, do a little math and ta-da! You've got it.
  • chuckles9189
    chuckles9189 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    if you want to track calories all day I would advise against a HRM because they are only "accurate" during exertion. Instead look into a bodymedia or a fitbit.

I have a fitbit and it's been super accurate with my TDEE and weight loss.
  • kaylieland
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys I think I have a plan!
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Another option would be to faithfully measure and log every single calorie containing food and beverage you eat for a period of time (I'd say a month, but you could try just 2 weeks). At the end of that time, calculate how many gross calories per day you ate and compare that to whether you gained, lost, or maintained.

This will give you a starting number. If you maintained, then add 250 calories per day to your average. If you lost, add more. If you gained, keep doing what you were doing.

If you faithfully log all calories consumed and are fairly accurate, you should be able to revisit these numbers over time and see what you need to do to maintain or gain or lose.
  • kaylieland
    Options
    I just found this information on a website...

1) Under 5000 steps/day may be used as a "sedentary lifestyle index"
    2) 5,000-7,499 steps/day is typical of daily activity excluding sports/exercise and might be considered "low active."
    3) 7,500-9,999 likely includes some exercise or walking (and/or a job that requires more walking) and might be considered "somewhat active."
    4) 10,000 steps/day indicates the point that should be used to classify individuals as "active".
    5) Individuals who take more than 12,500 steps/day are likely to be classified as "highly active".

thought i would post it as a little update to this thread :-)