Painfu/chronic fatigue illnesses make exercise difficult

Options
I have Fibromyalgia and suffer from the associated pain and fatigue and also have painful cervical and lumbar spondylosis. This usually means I am unable to do any exercise that would be effective at burning calories. I use a wheelchair outside and on bad days I'm bedbound. So I have to depend on diet alone. I've had a significant loss of weight since I stopped eating bread and generally avoiding gluten and wheat but I'm still interested in any hints and tips that will help me further. I'm 61 so no spring chicken either lol!

Replies

• Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    man I am at a loss for suggestions - I am assuming you are taking medications already? like a tricyclic or something

I dunno maybe water based fitness? like water aerobics

wishing you the best
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I have Fibro, premature arthritis, and chronic fatigue as well. Although I have found a recumbent bike to be way easier on my back, hips, and knees.... that may not be your answer. The truth is...losing weight is about "calories in vs. calories out". Checks and balances. The less active you are, the less calories you should consume, and this also depends on our age. The older you are, the less calories you require. Your weightloss is going to depend on diet primarily, yes, but always keep an open mind. Move what you can, when you can. Even if it's just your arms or basic range of motion with your hands and/or feet. Any movement is better than no movement. But if you can't, that's okay too. Focus on your diet. Increase your protein and fiber consumption. It will keep you fuller, longer. That should help stave off hunger with the lower daily caloric intake.
  • LupieAyah
    Options
    I can certainly relate. I have Fibro, lupus, a genetic blood disease that has caused liver disease, Hashimotos, and severe skeletal problems. I'm not qualified to give advice by any means but this is what I do. For the abs I lay in bed and gently pull my stomach in and down towards the bed, I do as many as I feel comfortable with. Butt, gently squeeze butt muscles together if you can slightly lift them. But again very slow and gentle. I also have heart problems so no cardio its all gentle stretching and muscle tightening. A pillow between my legs and I squeeze my legs together. I even do facial exercise to help tighten my waddle :)
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Those are awesome suggestions, Lupie! Sounds like you are doing some excellent things within your ability. Every bit counts :)
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have diabetic peripheral neuropathy, which shows up as numbness, tingling and burning pain in my hands and feet. It affects walking, most types of exercise and many day to day tasks. I'm doing all I can to be active, but some days are better than others.
    You may be interested in joining this group to find others in your situation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/940-chronic-pain-weight-loss
  • LupieAyah
    Options
    Thank you Willowana and Panda That sounds like a great group. I guess I need to weigh in to have my weight loss on my thing. I haven't weighed since I started back cause my scale is off. Don't know how much I've lost
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    One of MFP Friends is doing water aerobics, which greatly reduces stress on joints.

Exhaustion was something I experienced more than dozen years ago. I was laid low (literally on my hands and knees) for months, after an hour or so of normal household activity. I had 2 toddlers and nursing baby at the time, my husband thought it was all in my head. I invented many on the rug games and read heaps of story books, because even holding up my head was exhausting. I had never felt as sorry for myself as I did then. When the worst passed, I went to a doctor (MD & homeopath) because I still only about 70% of my normally energetic self. The doctor ordered bloodwork. Two things were flagged: I tested astromically high for Epstein-Barr antibodies (signally that I had this) and very low levels of progesterone (equivalent for someone 20-25y older).

I am now at about 80-85% and hope with my renewed weightloss campaign I will restore the rest. I have not been laid that low since, but I do get noticeable to severe dips in energy whenever RA kicks me. I am learning more and more how to prevent RA episodes, which may have some clues to taming your immune disease. Absolutely limit/restrain/curb all forms sugars (read Sugar Blues or similar books). Drink 8-12 glasses of filtered water (read about the value of pH). Eat more good fats (read about the role fat soluble vitamins, fat in digestion & insulin regulation). Find your clean mostly whole organic food diet.

Then when all of this looks solid, there is one more aid that could be helpful: digestive enzymes supplements, in enteric (hard) tablet form, taken daily on an empty stomach (I plan on reading The Healing Power of Enzymes by DiQuie Fuller, PhD next to learn more why this is working for me).
  • nananeenaw
    Options
    I think I posted in the wrong place so this is my 2nd go :)
    I'm on paracetamol, tramadol and gabapentin but am having to wean myself off the latter as my stomach is suffering. I used to take Omeprazole but now take Lansoprazole [30mg] my GP tried me on double dose but it didn't work, hence the reduction of Gabapentin. Next step would be to look at other pain relief that won't upset my digestive system [codeine bases meds are a no-no]. I also take Thyroxine for my hypothyroidism and Duloxetine for depression. In a couple of months I am due to start CBT :) I've been going to a pain clinic where I've had physio and hydrotherapy but the hospital is quite a long journey and so they've tried to find me a nearer hospital with any of the facilities from which I would benefit but no luck. However we are hoping to be moving soon to a different area, so who knows? I do my physio when I can and try to eat regularly and healthily but it's not always possible with my digestive problems [apart from the indigestion in my stomach I also have IBS] Anyway thanks for all your replies, that is really appreciated :) I'll keep reading :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My local gym offers aqua exercise sessions and chair yoga for people with similar issues, is there anything locally you could join? I don't have anything like as bad problems, but I do have some sort of auto immune problem very like CFS (joint pains, exhaustion, sleep disturbance etc), and I've had fairly severe depression. Isolation makes things worse, and it might help your mood if you could link up with others. Other than that the key seems to be knowing when to push yourself (builds stamina) and when to rest (to avoid relapse) - I confess I've still not always got this right!. I take amytriptyline and it helps with both mood and the pain

I think it's amazing that you're motivated to lose weight in the face of so many difficulties. My hat off to you, and wish you the best of luck.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyaglia also. So I know where you are coming from. I know that fibro can be different for everyone and it comes and goes like crazy. Last year I could barely walk up the stairs without crying. This year I can do a whole workout tape and be fine. The weight lost helped me A LOT. I no longer lay awake with hip pain wishing to fall asleep.

Whatever people may think about this I don't care because this worked for me. I started off my weight lost journey with the HCG diet. I took off about 20 ish pounds. Then started doing yoga/Pilates and riding my bike. Don't worry about burning calories with intense cardio just yet. Just get moving. Once you start moving you will feel better.

I was considering getting this workout for myself. http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/tai-cheng-workout.do

Please feel free to add me as a friend. I hope I helped some.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I am 49, and 12 yrs ago was diagnosed with Adhesive Arachnoiditis with resulting Cauda Equina Syndrome. A chronic inflammation of the arachnoid layer of the meninges, which results in the spinal nerves breaking down and sticking together, scarring over. I was in a wheelchair like you, for outside of the house, for a few years. I also have psoriatic arthritis, and severe osteo in my knees, back, and neck.

I was told that this was a progressive disease, without any cure, just only pain management. I had 3 children at home- 12, 12, and 6 months old. It took several years, but somehow the inflammation calmed down and I learned how to manage the flares, fatigue and constant pain, and slowly began to become more mobile. SO don't give up hope for improvement.

Medicine wise, Gabapentin helped with the severe leg pain and weakness. I ended up with ulcers from the NSAIDS, and Prevacid helped with that, and I also went on Celebrex. Some people have had some issues with it, but for me it has been wonderful. Helps with the inflammation and doesn't bother my stomach at all. At one point we did increase to 2 a day, and I started having a little heart rhythm probs so we took it back to once a day and I have had no issues since.

The biggest help diet-wise was when I went low-carb, sugar free. Cutting out all processed sugars and flours and adding lots of healthy fats like nuts and avocados, has made such a difference in my pain levels. 12 yrs later, I am walking without even my cane around the house and only need a cane for longer trips outside the house. I can make it around the grocery store with just leaning on the cart, no more scooter. And I am riding a recumbent bike. I still can't sit upright for very long, but I carry a cushion with me everywhere and find ways to sit as reclined as I can.

Now I am working on losing the weight I gained thru the time I was disabled. Chronic pain really takes a toll on your body, mind, and spirit. Find things you enjoy and surround yourself with positive, supportive people. And don't give up hope for improvement.

I don't follow a set diet, but I have found I have evolved into a eating plan similar to the Paleo/Primal plan, but with some personal tweaks. You might check into it. Many people with chronic conditions have found a lot of relief with that plan. And 35 pounds of extra weight gone since August has made a huge difference.

Feel free to add me to your friend list if you like.