No fuss lunches?

Options
So... My lunch plans for the next few weeks won't work out the way I would have liked (long story short, something I thought would be really good for me isn't as good as I thought it was). So now I need some ideas for easy lunches I can pack in a lunchbox.

Restrictions:
I have no method to heat my lunch
I have no fridge to store my food (just a zipper lunch pack with an icepack stashed in there) Also, I'm in FL and it is usually in the upper 80s or lower 90s when I'm out so an ice pack doesn't keep as cold as it would in some other environments.
Needs to last for 3 or more hours under these conditions

I don't mind sandwiches, but I don't want to get bored eating the same thing every day for the next month.
I also don't mind eating leftovers for lunch, but most of the dinner foods I make would need to be reheated, so I'm kind of at a loss.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions!

Replies

• calicowgirl0582
    Options
    that's a tough one . . Sorry, I don't have anything, but I'm interested in the replies
  • Joscelle
    Joscelle Posts: 93
    Options
    I have been eating the individual pack tuna and salmon cups from Chicken of the Sea - 80 cals for tuna, 90 for salmon. No refrigeration needed but a bit expensive. I eat it with a cup and a half of frozen peas and carrots with a tsp. or so lemon juice/soy sauce. You could put some in a container and by lunch time, they should be melted... Super filling. Good luck!
  • super007
    super007 Posts: 23
    Options
    Here are my recommendations.

1) Just because you don't have a heating or freezing method - don't just eat lunch. In order to stay healthy you need to snack every 2-3 hrs as well. Try triscuits (they come in different flavors - no heating or freezing required) with hummus or salsa.

2) you can make homemade vegetable cheese quesadillas (healthier than having cold pizza). I'd not recommend adding meat as any sort of meat will not be 'safe' when you've got temperature variation issues. I would not risk health...if I were you. Bad meat = food poisoning.

3) Homemade vegetable stir-fry rice w/ plain yogurt really tastes good and can be eaten cold or at room temp. You may want to try it.

4) Have you ever thought of investing in a juicer? Homemade fresh juices can really make up for time you put at work. They are refreshing - can stay in icebox. no sugar! :) OR homemade lemonade - freeze it overnight - take it to work - it'll last long and you'll know what went into that drink since you made it yourself! :) (Instead of burning money on starbucks, try making coffee at home - freezing it over night (if you drink coffee - or tea) and you can use the same method to take it to work).

5) Gazpacho soup...cold cooked shrimp w/ shrimp sauce also goes well.

6) Homemade guacamole with pita chips goes well for snacking too! :)

7) Cold stir fry vegetable noodles - Chinese generally tastes very good. Does not require reheats - keep it vegetarian. You can make it at home or buy it - whatever works for you.

8) Take nuts and raisins - its healthy and a wonderful hearty wholesome snack.

Sandwich, noodles, pita, cold pasta salad - as meals are some suggestions. But at the end of the day, if you keep changing your snacks and drinks - it'll make your day interesting and you'll be able to last longer. :)

Hope this helps.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    i have the perfect lunch for you! but i doubt you will like it...crackers, and sardines( in hot sauce)- will last in any conditions forever basically, costs a little over a dollar,full of omegas,calcium,protien- and depending on wich crackers-fiber and whole grians. i find it super duper yummy and sardines come in lots of flavors
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'd think more "snacks" than lunch -- fruit, veggies (tomatoes, carrots, cucumber), peanut butter to go on crackers/celery/apples, wraps or tortilla with lunch meat (or even PBJ!), nuts, salad? (not sure on most dressings but you can pack oil/vinegar at room temperature). Maybe throw in some things that do require refrigeration (yogurt, string cheese) to snack on earlier so you won't be quite as hungry at lunchtime?
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'm not a mini-meal eater. I do just fine eating my three meals and afternoon snack. If I don't eat meals I don't get full and just eat the entire day.

Also, I can't just bring some snacks to make do until I get home, because after I eat lunch I'm still at school for 3 hours.
  • kenya84
    kenya84 Posts: 41
    Options
    I face the same challenge when I travel for my job. I am driving during lunch time and not able to ahve a sit down lunch. I take an lunch box and have several of the ice packs. So here is my run down:

Deli Flat multi-grain Sandwich roll
    1 serving of honey turkey lunch meat (from the Deli)
    1 Slice of Sargento reduced fat cheese
    1 cup of baby spinch
    Mustard packet
    Apple

A salad is another option. Curves sells this really awesome Salad Bowl that has an ice pack inside the lid to keep your foood cold and an area to store your salad dressing. The bowl is pretty big so you can stack up on the veggies.

I have also seen containers that keep your food warm. If you want to have left overs I am sure if you warm it up before you leave the house the containers will keep it warm until when you are ready to have lunch.

Good Luck.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I'm a solid 3 meal eater, too...gotta have a nice filling lunch and I'm faced with this situation on summer weekends where we're biking or camping, traveling, or etc.

Gazpacho or a full-up nutrition smoothie packed in an original vacuum seal Thermos. I know that's a purchase required, but those things can keep full ice cubes in them for 5 hours in hot sun (or on the converse, keep my soup or coffee really hot for 4-6 hours).

The salad packs with ice in the lid are great, too. Place these in an insulated lunch box and you're golden. Same for ice-pack lid sandwich containers. Some even store your dressing in a separate part of the lid.

Like sexygenius posted, sardines or tuna with crackers, nuts, etc.. are also a nice nutrient dense lunch.

Other additions like nuts, jerky, crackers, fruit, PB are all good to accompany lunchbox lunches.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I'll have to look into that ice-pack salad and sandwich containers. I've never even heard of something like that before now. And I don't know why I never thought of a thermos. I feel like anything to help keep things cold will be appreciated this summer (already in the 90s down here :cry:).
    Thanks for the suggestions. :happy:
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    My favorite lunch of all time is a PB&J sandwich with strawberries and sometimes chips. Some other options could be the chicken of the sea lunch cups. You could throw some almonds or other nuts along with sandwiches. The mandarin orange cups are pretty good too and don't require refrideration. I'm just nameing off random things I would take for lunch when I had no icepacks and it'd be sitting for a couple of hours. :)
  • TheSpicyMermaid
    TheSpicyMermaid Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i have the perfect lunch for you! but i doubt you will like it...crackers, and sardines( in hot sauce)- will last in any conditions forever basically, costs a little over a dollar,full of omegas,calcium,protien- and depending on wich crackers-fiber and whole grians. i find it super duper yummy and sardines come in lots of flavors

Good grief, girl!!