Is there a need for exercise?

Options

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Nope, no need at all. That is, if you don't mind being skinny and unhealthy instead of fat and unhealthy.

Don't we get enough snark and judgment other places without getting it here too?
    Didn't anyone tell you jimmie65 is the be all and end of judge of us all. He has all the answers and is really worth listening too. Shame on you for questioning his wise judgement. SHAME!

LOL. My mistake!

My apologies for offending you. Feel free to let the OP know they can lose weight without exercising. Make sure you leave out any mention of any negative effects of doing so. I defer to your greater judgment.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I believe your question is what is exercise doing for you in terms of weight loss? IMHO... it's creating a calorie deficit that wouldn't otherwise be there.

Bzzzt. If you are using MFP as designed, you will show the same calorie deficit with or without exercise. When you add in your exercise, MFP will add those calories into your daily allowance.

FOOD - EXERCISE = NET (eat until net ~ goal)

In other words: GOAL - FOOD + EXERCISE = REMAINING (eat until remaining ~ zero)

You are only creating an additional deficit in so far as you are slowing down muscle loss.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to look like once the weight is lost: option A) healthy, strong and hot B) deflated with loose skin.

I like option A, so I started lifting weights (New Rules of Lifting For Women) which seems to make the inches come off pretty quickly.

ETA: also, with exercising I can eat more, which makes me a much more pleasant person to be around.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    You will lose muscle mass (I'm not talking bulk) and will therefore not burn as many calories while being sedentary.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Well it's necessary if you want to look nice once you get to your goal weight. Otherwise you'll be flabby and un-toned. Lightweight BUT flabby.

^This
  • tinactin
    Options
    If your goal is to lose pounds, then you only need to eat at a caloric deficit. If your goal caloric limit is 1200 calories a day, then cardio exercise simply increases the amount of food you can eat while staying under your caloric limit. If you are not eating back the calories burned from cardio, then you're just increasing your caloric deficit, which will increase the rate that you lose pounds at.

If you lose pounds rapidly without lifting weights (or some other resistance training), your body will have no reason to maintain skeletal muscle, so your muscles will be broken down for fuel along with body fat.

If your goal is to lose fat, then you need to do squats (and, ideally, eat oats). By intensely engaging your muscles, you will encourage your body to maintain them instead of digest them.

So it depends on what you want. If you're only worried about the number on the scale and don't care how you look or feel, then it's perfectly alright to eat at a significant caloric deficit without any exercise. If you want to maintain some muscle to look good and feel strong, then you should do squats. If you're like me and want to earn a cupcake every couple of days, then you can do some cardio, too.
  • lazy8ee
    lazy8ee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @jimmie65: I get you & wasn't offended by your comment. But let's all get along ... in the end we're all here helping each other.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I get you & wasn't offended to your comment. But let's all get along ... in the end we're all here helping each other.

:smile: I'm glad you weren't offended. I wasn't trying to offend, just make a point.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I believe your question is what is exercise doing for you in terms of weight loss? IMHO... it's creating a calorie deficit that wouldn't otherwise be there. Also, a body composition that is higher in lean muscle, will burn more calories. All of this contributes to your weight loss effort. Can you lose weight without exercise? Sure but there is no argument in favor of a program lacking exercise versus one that includes it.

If one is using the MFP method, there is already a very substantial calorie deficit in the calorie goal...especially with the 1,200 calorie goal. With the MFP method, you do not need exercise to create a deficit.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the only thing we have to do is pay taxes and die.

however if you want to live a happy and healthy life with few to no health problems and with strong bones, you will exercise
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try taking some time off of exercise and see how you feel and what the results are. Personally, when I am on an exercise schedule I tend to eat better, and feel better but no it is not necessary. Find out what is best for you right now. If you are asking this because exercise is a chore and not a joy try out a class or something new, oftentimes variety helps make your activity more enjoyable.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs in a month not exercising at all on WW. If youre eating really low calorie, exercise can backfire. I used to eat my exercise calories back on MFP and didnt lose a whole lot of weight. Its not exactly as simple as calories in, calories out. You cant really "burn off" food like you can not overeat. However, i notice when people lose weight that dont exercise they look a lot flabbier and the weight doesnt distribute as gracefully as those who do. So if you're goal is just to lose weight, exercise wont really help the scale budge. Its 80% food, 10% exercise, 10% genetics.
  • that_Va_chick
    Options
    Im 5'4 and start weight 30 days ago was 265. Im now down to 255. I currently only go to the gym and do cardio for 45 min. So even though you dont need a lot of exercise to lose what you do want to do it to again like everyone else have said..do it to tone and not have flabby skin
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight 1,000 times without exercise( that kinda says it all right there).It wasn't until I incorporated exercise three years ago that I KEPT it off.I've done some irreparable damage just dieting and not exercising over the last 30 years or so.

Highly Recommend exercise
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    2m82kbt.jpg
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    ^^this^^
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight with very minimal exercise, but despite being close to my goal, I now have a huge hurdle of getting fit and toning up. I have a friend who weighs 30 lbs more than me, but she has been losing weight and working out a lot during the process. She looks incredibly toned, strong, and fit. When she gets to her goal, there will definitely be a gigantic difference in how we both look. I wish I had worked out throughout the process, because I would be happier with my results now if I had.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    For overall health, Yes. Your body NEEDS muscle mass.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    also, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn just sitting there doing nothing.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I exercise because I want to be strong and healthy. When I first started last March I did some research and decided the working out was the way for me because:
    #1 I get to eat more when I exercise. I feel less deprived and don't fall so easily into a binge.
    #2 As you lose weight you will lose fat, water and lean body mass. I wanted to keep as much of my lean body mass as possible so my metabolism stays revved. The more muscle I have, the more my body needs to fuel it, and going back to #1 the more I get to eat.:smile: