I am extremely disappointed!

Options
Got a Polar HRM watch and was so excited to set it all up and begin using it, as I just added weights into my weekly routine . . .
Took it out, read the book from cover to cover, set the date, time, maximum value, blah blah blah - And it doesn't calculate calories burned! I am super bummed!
I know its my fault, as I obviouslt didn't pay close enough attention to the HRM description, but honestly, I just assumed that they all calculated calories burned! And I have never owned or used an HRM before.
Got the extra gadget to upload everything to the computer and all - Geeesh . . . . This sucks!!!!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there are formulas you can use to calculate your calories burned if you know your HR. Just be aware, HRM aren't set up for strength training. While you're heart rate gets up, it's different than cardio. Sorry yours doesn't automatically calculate for you, though. Hopefully you can figure out a way to use the info.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Which model do you have? I wasn't aware Polar made one that didn't do the calculation.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    shapesense.com has a great heart rate to calories burned calculator which takes seconds to complete. If you visit that site also check out VO2 max calculator and VO2 Max tests - all helps with accurate calorie counting from exercise.

And like the other poster said, anaerobic strength training is difficult to calculate a calorie burn, unless your HRM was averaging at least 118 bpm for 40 minutes or more and due to resting times in strength training that is unlikely - I have done it but then you are not concentrating on the lift but on the burn which is counterproductive.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Which model do you have? I wasn't aware Polar made one that didn't do the calculation.

curious as well.

Also...ditto on the other post that said not for weight training...
  • notthatthis
    Options

I have an FT1 that does not and I suspect the FT2 also does not calculate. But I am not the OP.
  • cathyfowler662
    cathyfowler662 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Can you return it and get one that does everything that you want it to do?? That may be your best option if it's possible.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    That's weird, I didn't know any didn't either. That's like getting a fancy dive watch that does everything except tell the time.

With the "upload it to the computer" gadget, is there some software on the other end that will do the calculation for you? If not, there are online calculators but what a pain to have to go through the extra step. I'd be disappointed too.

(Also, yes, the HRM is not going to calculate your calories burned during weightlifting anyway. Just use the MFP estimate for that, it's usually close enough.)
  • DebbieMc3
    DebbieMc3 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Which model? I was pretty sure they all did now. Did you buy a very old model somehow?
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Got a Polar HRM watch and was so excited to set it all up and begin using it, as I just added weights into my weekly routine . . .
    Took it out, read the book from cover to cover, set the date, time, maximum value, blah blah blah - And it doesn't calculate calories burned! I am super bummed!
    I know its my fault, as I obviouslt didn't pay close enough attention to the HRM description, but honestly, I just assumed that they all calculated calories burned! And I have never owned or used an HRM before.
    Got the extra gadget to upload everything to the computer and all - Geeesh . . . . This sucks!!!!

You need to go to: https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/ and input your #'s and it will calculate for you. I assume you didn't get the chest strap version? If you did, it would calculate calories burned. Good Luck!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft7 and mine calculates maybe you should see if you can trade it in for a different model.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I was sure all Polars' calculated calories. I have a Garmin, they're live customer support is great. I would see if Polar has the same thing.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I have an FT7 also. It is working great. A friend of mine is getting the FT60. It has a built in fitness test and GPS in it, but its kinda pricey.
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I have the FT40 and it calculates calories burned just fine.
  • fdlafon
    fdlafon Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It is the E600

It has the watch, a chest strap, and then the extra computer gadget.

I feel silly, and know it's my own fault, but I am still bummed.

Do they take things like this back once everything has been opened and actually started? I mean, I entered my max heart rate value, and minimum heart rate value already. I suspect not. It's not defective. I'm just an idiot and didn't pay attention that it wouldn't count calories burned. Besides, I bought it online - My best bet may just be to try and sale it and start all over again.
    From the sounds of it, the model I should be looking for is FT something . . . . :)

In my new work outs, I'm combining weights and cardio 3 times a week, and only cardio 2 times a week, so I was hoping to have some results given for calories.

I will check out the sites you all mentioned, thanks
  • nashsheri33
    nashsheri33 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i have an older sportline that counts calorie burn, but i lost the manual. i found an online manual, but i still can't figure it out. i'm going to get a fitbit flex when they become available.
  • fdlafon
    Options
    That's weird, I didn't know any didn't either. That's like getting a fancy dive watch that does everything except tell the time.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought!
  • fdlafon
    Options
    shapesense.com has a great heart rate to calories burned calculator which takes seconds to complete. If you visit that site also check out VO2 max calculator and VO2 Max tests - all helps with accurate calorie counting from exercise.

Thanks!