Trainer working me too hard?

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Thats way too MUCH! Forget all the whinning comments. Thats just wrong. At that rate your not burning fat your burning sugars that already have been processed. Its not the zon you should be in for weight loss. I am 5'8" who was 265 last year. I am down 75lbs. It wont take you long to get up to that but start is just wrong by the trainer. Just look up info for yourself and you will see for fat burning your HR should be alot less at your size and age. I hate cardio but its a evil needed to a point. Its not how fast or hard you go its where your HR should be.

I'm sorry, but this is all incorrect. Whether you're burning fat or burning sugars, it's still calories. If your body is burning sugar then it has to replace those stores. Where does it get those calories from? Your fat and the food you eat later (or before). Either way the net effect is the same.

Even if you want to make the argument that you burn a higher percentage of fat at a slower pace, it still doesn't matter. You might burn 15% of your calories from fat at a slow pace versus 10% at a fast past. But if you burned twice as many calories overall, you not only burned more calories, you also burned more fat.

For example:
    300 calories burned at a slow pace @ 15% fat burn == 45 fat calories burned
    600 calories burned at a fast pace @ 10% fat burn == 60 fat calories burned

Not to mention, the extra conditioning and cardio gains when pushing yourself at a harder pace versus just mailing in your workout.

In other words, go hard and go home (barring medical conditions or injuries or other extenuating circumstances).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    This is why, when I see the PTs at my gym running their clients thru an obviously BS workout, I don't judge them too harshly. If you push a client, they whine about it. If you don't do enough, they complain about the lack of results. If you're medically cleared to work out, and you're paying for a PT, I'd suggest you listen to him. HRMs are not medical devices.
  • teresa_c
    Options
    from what you've said, he's keeping you at 160 during the whole cardio portion? that is too high in my opinion. intervals, sure, but sustained...that is putting undue pressure on your heart and blood vessels and arteries. I am 44 and 160lbs and, in addition to swimming and walking all week, I ski about once a week with a heart rate monitor on and when I really push myself down a run I get up in the 160's or higher, but that is when I stop and catch my breath and get my heart rate down before skiing on! as it is almost my entire ski day is ranked by the HRM as "fitness endurance" and only a small portion as "fat burning" (and that's probably when I'm sitting on the ski lift between runs!). Anyway, if it were me, I would go online and find a site that tells me how to calculate my max heart rate based on weight and age, etc. and go from there...In my opinion, from what you've said, you are an injury waiting to happen...we're just not in our twenties anymore...plus, heart aside, your joints have been bearing a pretty heavy load for longer than these youngun's, so again, watch out for injury...I've lost plenty of weight without killing myself in the exercise and eating department, and I'm pretty fit and muscle-y! just working on slowly and safely losing those last 20lbs so I can better see the definition that's there :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm 55, female, 115 lbs and I run 5K in 30 minutes with my HR in the 160's most of the time. Sprinting for the finish will put it into the 180's. Haven't died yet. I can hit 130 at a brisk walk. You can't judge one persons level by your own.
  • teresa_c
    Options
    one last comment...I've started and stopped exercising many times over the years and I have found that when I go big in the beginning, I tend to fizzle out (or get injured) pretty quick. So, now I'm a start slow and build over time proponent...to me, it is easier that way to build a healthy lifestyle that is sustainable for the long haul without every feeling resentful, or injured, or weak/lazy because you can't seem to "stick with anything" (that last one was a negative thought that tripped me up for a long time!)
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Suck it up buttercup! This is what you are paying for. I tell my PT that I f'ing hate him 10 minutes into the session and he responds with 'good, then I am doing my job' I also let him know if he is not pushing me hard enough.. to the point I want to vomit! This is what I want, this is what I pay for.. Work my butt off and don't let me give up or give in.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I'm 55, female, 115 lbs and I run 5K in 30 minutes with my HR in the 160's most of the time. Sprinting for the finish will put it into the 180's. Haven't died yet. I can hit 130 at a brisk walk. You can't judge one persons level by your own.

The key word being "yet" :)

Did your 1st 2 workouts pushing your HR that hard? Were you running 5k's in 30 minutes from day 1? I understand that once you are fit and have experience that you can push harder. Someone who has not exercised in years, or ever for that matter, is a different story.

I agree with Teresa- when you have never done something, you need to start slow. That doesn't mean you can't push yourself, but you have to be reasonable about it. I wouldn't take my wife down to the squat rack and load up a bunch of weight and have her squat to failure. She'd never come back. When you haven't done any physical activity for a long time, you need to build up a base level of fitness before you can max out your capability.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I want my trainer to try and kill me. I can be a wuss on my own.
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

The key word being "yet" :)

Did your 1st 2 workouts pushing your HR that hard? Were you running 5k's in 30 minutes from day 1? I understand that once you are fit and have experience that you can push harder. Someone who has not exercised in years, or ever for that matter, is a different story.

I agree with Teresa- when you have never done something, you need to start slow. That doesn't mean you can't push yourself, but you have to be reasonable about it. I wouldn't take my wife down to the squat rack and load up a bunch of weight and have her squat to failure. She'd never come back. When you haven't done any physical activity for a long time, you need to build up a base level of fitness before you can max out your capability.

I agree with this 100% I myself am 57. That's why I said originally see your doctor, see what he says. I started going to the gym last June and at the time was quite uncomfortable if my HR was in the high 140's. Now I easily work in the 150's and can go into the 160's for intervals without too much discomfort. Could not do that in June. I've been training with a trainer twice a week since June. In the beginning, he watched my heart rate like a hawk and made me take extended rests if he thought I was in a danger zone. Now he does not monitor it as closeley because he knows I'm more fit. A niece of mine who is a doctor told me that although I'm 57, physiologically I'm more than likely 10-20 years younger. But its all a matter of conditioning yourself over time. Your heart after all is a muscle. It needs to be conditioned just like your biceps, triceps, hamstrings etc.
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I whine between pants during my workout, and all I hear my trainer saying is, "C'mon, five more, you got it!" I can hardly wait to do it again. I'll show him who's boss!
  • jeffmineo
    Options
    Thats way too MUCH! Forget all the whinning comments. Thats just wrong. At that rate your not burning fat your burning sugars that already have been processed. Its not the zon you should be in for weight loss. I am 5'8" who was 265 last year. I am down 75lbs. It wont take you long to get up to that but start is just wrong by the trainer. Just look up info for yourself and you will see for fat burning your HR should be alot less at your size and age. I hate cardio but its a evil needed to a point. Its not how fast or hard you go its where your HR should be.

I'm sorry, but this is all incorrect. Whether you're burning fat or burning sugars, it's still calories. If your body is burning sugar then it has to replace those stores. Where does it get those calories from? Your fat and the food you eat later (or before). Either way the net effect is the same.

Even if you want to make the argument that you burn a higher percentage of fat at a slower pace, it still doesn't matter. You might burn 15% of your calories from fat at a slow pace versus 10% at a fast past. But if you burned twice as many calories overall, you not only burned more calories, you also burned more fat.

For example:
    300 calories burned at a slow pace @ 15% fat burn == 45 fat calories burned
    600 calories burned at a fast pace @ 10% fat burn == 60 fat calories burned

Not to mention, the extra conditioning and cardio gains when pushing yourself at a harder pace versus just mailing in your workout.

In other words, go hard and go home (barring medical conditions or injuries or other extenuating circumstances).

No the effect is not the same.... once you get your heart rate over your Anerobic thresh hold your working cardio more than fat burn... the old school thought of going as hard as you can for as long as you can is old and inaccurate. When you burn processed sugars you do not get the effect nor results

The lactate threshold (LT) (or lactate inflection point (LIP) or aerobic threshold (AeT)) is the exercise intensity at which lactate (more specifically, lactic acid) starts to accumulate in the blood stream. The reason for the acidification of the blood at high exercise intensities is two-fold: the high rates of ATP hydrolysis in the muscle release hydrogen ions, as they are co-transported out of the muscle into the blood via the MCT— monocarboxylate transporter, and also bicarbonate stores in the blood begin to be used up. This happens when lactate is produced faster than it can be removed (metabolized) in the muscle. When exercising at the LTS intensity any lactate produced by the muscles is removed by the body without it building up.

With a higher exercise intensity the lactate level in the blood reaches the 'anaerobic threshold (AT), or the onset of blood lactate accumulation (OBLA).

The lactate threshold is a useful measure for deciding exercise intensity for training and racing in endurance sports (e.g. long distance running, cycling, rowing, swimming and cross country skiing), but varies between individuals and can be increased with training. Interval training takes advantage of the body being able to temporarily exceed the lactate threshold, and then recover (reduce blood-lactate) while operating below the threshold and while still doing physical activity. Fartlek and interval training are similar, the main difference being the structure of the exercise. Interval training can take the form of many different types of exercise and should closely replicate the movements found in the sport.

Accurately measuring the lactate threshold involves taking blood samples (normally a pinprick to the finger, earlobe or thumb) during a ramp test where the exercise intensity is progressively increased. Measuring the threshold can also be performed non-invasively using gas-exchange (Respiratory quotient) methods, which requires a metabolic cart to measure air inspired and expired.

Although the lactate threshold is defined as the point when lactic acid starts to accumulate, some testers approximate this by using the point at which lactate reaches a concentration of 4 mM (at rest it is around 1 mM).

[edit] Aerobic Threshold

The aerobic threshold (AeT) is sometimes defined as the exercise intensity at which anaerobic energy pathways start to operate and where blood lactate reaches a concentration of 2 mmol/litre (at rest it is around 1). This tends to be at a heart rate of approximately 20-40 bpm less than the anaerobic threshold and correlates with about 65% of the maximum heart rate. As its name suggests, the anaerobic energy system does not utilize oxygen to create Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and uses glycogen/glucose. Lactic acid is a by-product of using anaerobic metabolism to create ATP for working muscles.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness level, goals, workout history, etc. if you are a rank beginner and the trainer is treating you like a more experienced, more fit individual, then pushing that hard might not be appropriate. Unfortunately there are a lot of trainers who have a limited toolbox and education so all they know how to do is pound away, following the latest fitness fad. They are training for their ego more than your fitness.

But it could just be a miscommunication. Best thing is to share your concerns with the trainer and get his/her reaction. The HR by itself is not necessarily too high-it's your overall feeling of being so wiped out that is more significant.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute. People are skiing with HRMs now?

I give up
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

I give up
    LOL! If I were to try and ski I'd blow out a knee for sure! Is it ok to wear a HRM sitting at my desk?
  • ronja2
    ronja2 Posts: 36
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer for a year and his words to me were always "If it HURTS stop. If you are just UNCOMFORTABLE quit whining."

Couldn't agree more.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options

I give up

Bahaha! Right! Oh and I workout 4x or more a week with a trainer for an hour. He always pushes me and I can't get enough! This is a good thing!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What's the logic of using a trainer to have you do cardio? You can do that on your own time and not have to pay for it. Take advantage of the trainer and learn good lifting form... if he is knowledgeable in that area.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Trainers don't like complainers. Just do it.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Stop with the excuses. The trainer isn't doing the work, you are.
  • marywanoKC
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking you've got a damn good trainer. I'm still over 300 lbs, and if my heart rate isn't in the 155 - 160+ range for the majority of my workout, I'm not working hard enough, and that's for an hour, not just fifteen minutes.

Sweating? It sucks.
    Hot? It sucks.
    Muscles aching? It sucks.
    Tired after? It sucks.

The first couple of times I went to work out (on my own) I couldn't even drive home with my hands on 10 & 2 on the wheel. If you want results, the BEST results you can get, push yourself every moment you're there. Never leave the gym feeling like you had another 12 reps in you, or ten minutes in you. At the end of the year last year I'd lost 50 lbs, and I was proud, but when I re-evaluated, I realized that I could have done MUCH more. While I don't regret my progress, I know that it might have been more substantial. Don't waste the time you have complaining about how hard it is. It isn't supposed to be easy.