People sure love to give advice.

Options
So I'm sitting there in my meeting telling one of my coworkers how it sucked that I just opened my Pepsi Max and the damn thing was already flat!

My boss looks over and says well you shouldnt drink it the aspartame and caffiene is bad for you. I havent drank that in over 20years! Mind you she is heavy. Not as heavy as me, but I bet she could stand to lose at least 50lbs.

I of course play stupid and tell her how impressed I am after taking a swig of my poision.

All I could think is so whats worse my 20oz calorie free soda or your going outside 4-5times a day to smoke?

I guess the ultimate test will be who is healthier in 10years. Just my little rant.

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Good job.

Since she was giving advice, I think I'd have asked her which one was worse - Diet Coke or cigarettes? :laugh:
  • losingweightfindingme
    Options
    I used to suffer from a serious Mountain Dew habit...and it always amazed me when I cracked open my Dew each night at work how many people would say to me "that is so unhealthy for you" or "mountain dew is the unhealthiest of sodas" or "if you quit drinking soda you would lose weight". My thought was "well no *kitten* Sherlock...I'm not drinking it because it's healthy for me...I'm not that daft. I'm drinking it because I'm hyperglycemic and I need a caffeine boost.". People love the sound of their own voices giving out advice.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Good for you while the Diet Coke or Pepsi isn't great for you it isn't crack, nicotine or some other carcinogenic nightmare. Keep going doing your best and making the changes you are prepared to make.
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    :grumble: I don't have a really effective mouth filter, so I likely would have brought up her healthy smoking habit.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Why do you drink it?

Or a better question is, do you see food as fuel for the body, or something that one should eat based on taste, availability, and desire?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So I'm sitting there in my meeting telling one of my coworkers how it sucked that I just opened my Pepsi Max and the damn thing was already flat!

My boss looks over and says well you shouldnt drink it the aspartame and caffiene is bad for you. I havent drank that in over 20years! Mind you she is heavy. Not as heavy as me, but I bet she could stand to lose at least 50lbs.

I of course play stupid and tell her how impressed I am after taking a swig of my poision.

All I could think is so whats worse my 20oz calorie free soda or your going outside 4-5times a day to smoke?

I guess the ultimate test will be who is healthier in 10years. Just my little rant.

Love this! In fact, when people try to give me crap about what I eat/drink, I will always say, "If I were worried about my health, I'd quit smoking tobacco.":laugh:
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    LOL!!!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    You should have just gone off in a huge tantrum and junk-punched her!

(Not really, but I just had to give you some advice!)
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i completely agree i had a stranger who was (for lack of a better term) fat and she had the nerve to tell me that it wasnt healthy to drink sparkling ice and eat a bunch of almonds because aspartame is bad for you and almonds are full of fat i buster out laughing couldnt hold it in lol

about a month later she also tried to lecture me about how protein powder was unnatural and i shouldnt "take the easy way out" as she was eating burger king
  • Summerberry1012
    Summerberry1012 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    people don't see the big picture and that we eat 90% healthy, etc... so when they see us with that one "naughty" treat they make all these assumptions... and we know how that saying goes :laugh:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    In your most polite voice say "I don't recall asking for your opinion."
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    i completely agree i had a stranger who was (for lack of a better term) fat and she had the nerve to tell me that it wasnt healthy to drink sparkling ice and eat a bunch of almonds because aspartame is bad for you and almonds are full of fat i buster out laughing couldnt hold it in lol

The almond comment gets thrown around on here a lot as well sometimes :-)
  • cathdrew2
    cathdrew2 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In your most polite voice say "I don't recall asking for your opinion."
    THIS
  • wnbrice
    wnbrice Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt say anything, but at some point in the next week I would bring up actions speak louder than words in a meeting, wait long enough so that the events are not linked
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options

The almond comment gets thrown around on here a lot as well sometimes :-)

Oh good grief.
    If God made it, how bad can it be?
    Now you may be legit on your soapbox with transfats and processed foods.
    Just sayin'
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I wouldnt say anything, but at some point in the next week I would bring up actions speak louder than words in a meeting, wait long enough so that the events are not linked

Subtle...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Why do you drink it?

Or a better question is, do you see food as fuel for the body, or something that one should eat based on taste, availability, and desire?

Food is both and should be treated as such.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Silence is the best answer to the food police. They are commenting on something that is none of their business. And if you mention smoking to her, then you are doing the same thing. Be the better person. Sorry your drink was flat....I hate when that happens.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Well, what else are we supposed to know if we know everything and stuff?
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    This might be why I tend not to get along with certain people, but I'd have a hard time not opening my mouth and quipping something along the lines of "Oh, I'm pretty sure they didn't have Pepsi Maxx 20 years ago!" *sip and smile* "Well, at least I don't smoke."