Logging on Valentines Day

Options
So are those of you who are eating whatever you want today logging everything or just adding some made up number?

I think it is important to know how many calories you consume on a day where you eat anything and everything. It gives you some perspective on your past habits that lead to weight gain in the first place.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Why would Valentine's Day be a day to eat anything and everything? Actually why would any day?
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking to my regular meal plan today, but I noticed one of my friends put in a fake number and said they weren't going to track today because they planned on eating a lot of bad food.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    So are those of you who are eating whatever you want today logging everything or just adding some made up number?

I think it is important to know how many calories you consume on a day where you eat anything and everything. It gives you some perspective on your past habits that lead to weight gain in the first place.

I eat what I want every day, and I log it every day. I did do quick-add calories for some store-bought stuff that were brought into work, just because I'm at work.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have logged everything as usual up until now. However, hubby and I are going out for dinner and they don;t have a nutritional guide on their menu so it will be very hard to know exactly what goes into their foods. I will try to stick to healthier options but at the same time I mostly want to focus on having a nice meal with my husband. Might even split a dessert!?!

Happy Valentine's Day!
  • lawandfitness
    lawandfitness Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    Me and the hubs are going out to dinner, I have already chosen my meal and entered the nutrition facts as per the restaurants website.

I find today no different than any other day. Last night we had pizza, and I owned it and logged anyways.....
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I tracked exactly what I did over the Christmas holiday season and plan to always track everything... See you guys for the next 56 years...
  • jennifer907
    jennifer907 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I agree you should log even if you're going over. Sometimes if I go to a restaurant and there's no nutritional info, I don't log dinner, but I also don't make up anything. There's no much I can do in that instance.

Today however, I am going to eat the same but have a slightly lighter dinner, some wine, and strawberries with dip. I logged it and it helped me to determine just how much of the dip I can have. Surprisingly I'm going to be fine because if I work out today, I'll be right at my goal. :)
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are going to a beer and wine tasting with appetizers. I knew this so I planned ahead - I've been within 75 calories of my goal every day this week, and this is my day to go over. So while I'm not worrying about my total number of calories, I am still entering them.

For Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. I do try to track everything I eat instead of just entering a cheat day or random number of calories. For me the single biggest factor in my weight loss has been the food diary on MFP, I don't want to get off-track.
  • JonathanBB
    JonathanBB Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    If you are going to lie to yourself, what's the point? Part of the purpose of the food diary is awareness and part is accountability to your MyFitnessPal friends and to YOURSELF.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Calories don't count as long as you have a true love. :flowerforyou:
  • jendraka
    jendraka Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I log no matter what. I plan ahead as much as I can though. I know I going to splurge on dinner tonight so I I'm keeping my breakfast and lunch small to afford the calories of dinner. Now, I know with what I'm going to eat my fat and carbs aren't going to look pretty at all, but oh well, that's the splurge. :wink:
  • pink_ribbon_1
    pink_ribbon_1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point in lying to myself....and for me that is what the food diary is for, so if I eat it...I log it.

^this!
  • Fiesty1006
    Fiesty1006 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my caloric plan is already blown for the day....

MH made me breakfast in bed.... cinnamon rolls and chocolate milk. I couldn't turn them down... He'd be hurt. But, could I have eaten less of them? Yep.

Either way, I'm still tracking.... I'm going to be over... but I'm going to try to work more protein in for dinner.... Maybe get the 40-30-30 closer... ::shrug::
  • cdwilson2003
    Options
    Nothing special about today, except maybe an extra piece of chocolate, but I'll log everything just like every other day. I do whether I blow it big time, stay under or I'm right on point. Happy Valentine's Day :happy:
  • laxbballmom
    laxbballmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wouldn't track it. Like others have said, if I ate it, then I need to track it and own up to it. The tracking is for me and not a competition with anyone else to see what I did or didn't eat. For me, tracking helps me to see where I went wrong and then using some cognitive behaviour therapy techniques to understand why I did it and come up with a plan to mitigate or change my behaviour as necessary.

Maybe next time I will eat less before going so I have room for the anticipated high calorie food (ie the wine tasting) or eat more healthy stuff before so I am not tempted to continually graze. Perhaps I will say, I can't be perfect every single time and accept it. Or exercise more....or whatever solution. But, if I haven't tracked it, then how do I know what the problem is? And since most people come on this site and ask for help, if you haven't tracked it, how can I give you advice when you haven't given me the full picture?
  • JennKie1
    JennKie1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I try to log everything, even when I've had a bad day. Seeing the big ugly red number helps to push me back in the right direction.

There are always occasions where the opportunity to over-do it arises. This weekend we're going out to a really nice restaurant. I plan on eating (and logging) whatever I want. I will try to make good choices in the morning and the afternoon, but when I go to dinner, I am going to order what I want, not what I "should". As long as we don't do that every day, it's no big deal to do it on a special occasion.
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Right on Jenn!!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I am "off track" today and tomorrow. Gonna enjoy and get back on it after that.