Low Calorie Salad dressing

Options
Hello All:

I don't know about anyone else, but when I have a big salad in front of me, I need something on top so it's not just a veggie plate (which is great when I am in the mood for veggie plate but not when I want a salad, however I digress..

So there are two things that I have been doing lately to add liquid to my salad, that I thought I may share. I hope it helps someone out there.

Option one - Grate up an apple - Put it all on your salad and the apple adds a sweetness, while the juice is my "dressing".

Option two - I take 1 tb of Low calorie/Low fat Italian dressing and add 2 Tb of Salsa to it. I find that adding the 10 calories of salsa adds a nice kick to my salad...

Just wanted to share for anyone who needed a change from the norm...

*hug* have a great day!

Replies

• Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... The salsa addition to a salad doesnt really mix with my tastebuds. The apple idea sounds interesting but also too dry.

I like all the creative ways people try to better their meals.

If i'm trying to save calories with my salad dressing I just do one serving spict brown mustard, a splash of white vinegar, and a packet of equal. It is sweet and tart at the same time and only 10 calories.
  • IronGirlShae
    IronGirlShae Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One of my faves is 1/4 of an avocado, 2-3 Tbs of my favorite salsa (homemade when I have it) and the juice of one lemon. You can mash it all up with a fork, or blend it.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My new favorite salad is baby spinach with pico de gallo, chopped avocado, and some reheated black bean pulled chicken (chicken, black beans, and salsa cooked in the crock pot). I put it all in a big covered bowl and toss it to mix through, so everything gets coated with a little bit of salsa, some pico, some ripe avocado, some chicken. It's a pretty awesome and filling lunch!

I've also mixed together a bit of low-fat ranch dressing with salsa on salads, which is also pretty tasty.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp chobani fat free Greek yoghurt
    Tsp honey
    Tbsp mild mustard
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use honey mustard if there is no fruit on my salad.
  • nj303
    nj303 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I buy LITEHOUSE brand Organic Raspberry-Lime Vinaigrette. In refrigerated produce section at the grocery store. 40 calories.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I like pico de gallo on my salads, as well as no dressing and some mrs. Dash or some salt and pepper. Bolt House Farms also makes some fabulous yogurt based dressings. 45 calories for 2T of Ranch or Bleu Cheese? Yes, please!
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    I use red wine vinegar and sometimes add avocado, mash it up for a creamy texture...yum
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Vegetables require fat for nutrient absorbtion, so I use oil and vinegar unless I already have fats in my salad (avocado, nuts, full fat cheese) and then it's just vinegar.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I've been just squeezing fresh lemon juice on my salads. I love how tangy and fresh it is!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I actually just use ranch. Full fat. If I mix it up with the salad evenly, there's a lot of flavor and I only need one tablespoon.
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Someone once taught me to keep the dressing on the side and dip my fork in it before spearing the salad. You get the flaovr of the dressing in each bite, but end up using a lot less of it.
  • castell5
    castell5 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont "Sugar Free" dressings. (Red Shrink Wrap) on the cap. They are good, and super low in calorie. 5 calories per 2 tsp or it might be table spoon, but it makes no difference, it's the lowest cal dressing I have ever found and it is actually really good.
  • meganharris14
    meganharris14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started using Bolthouse brand ranch, its delicious! only 45 calories a serving and feeds my ranch addiction!! lol
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How about this? I've tried the Creamy Italian and it tastes pretty good.

Walden Farms Calorie Free Salad Dressings.
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Hummus, mixed with water to thin it out. Makes an amazing dressing!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Vegetables require fat for nutrient absorbtion, so I use oil and vinegar unless I already have fats in my salad (avocado, nuts, full fat cheese) and then it's just vinegar.

I do the same thing. I like white balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. It's more satisfying with a little fat too. I've tried so many low-cal salad dressings and I don't like any of them and am still starving 10 min later.
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons light sour cream
    1/4 teaspoon hidden valley ranch dry mix
    50 calories and none of the sweetness I always find in "lite" dressings.
  • supergirljen
    Options
    Yup Bolthouse!
  • meganharris14
    meganharris14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am looking forward to trying their other options! :)