Spinning class GIRLZ EYEZ ONLY

Options
LOL. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has figured out a magical way to where your girly parts don't feel like they're gonna fall off 15 mins into the class. Should I put a towel on the seat? The instructor adjusted my seat for me. Any ideas?

Replies

• Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    buy some cycling shorts - they have a built-in chamois that pads the area.

and keep going to the classes. if you ride consistently, after a short time that won't happen to you.

good luck!
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    Bike shorts! With the padding...unflattering but helpful.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Aw man padded shorts? Really? Crap.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    And I concur, keep going. An avid endurance cyclist told me that there are muscles in that area (and your bum too) that need conditioning because they usually aren't put into those positions haha.
  • jessmars
    jessmars Posts: 131
    Options
    GO TO WALMART OR TARGET AND GET A CUSHIONED SEAT COVER TO PUT ON TOP IT HELPS A LOT!!!!......
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I have an exercise bike at home .. it's a Gold's Gym one .. and it hurts to use it for the same reason!! I don't know if i'll fit into any bike shorts though .. :laugh:
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options
    jmarsden is correct. An inexpensive gel seat cover can offer a lot of relief for this issue. And, after a couple of classes, you won't notice it being a problem.

Mel
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Give it two or three more sessions. My girl parts got used to it!
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a spin class, but used to bike a TON and know just what you're talking about. One thing my husband used to always tell me from his years as a bike instructor is to get your butt off the seat. I don't mean that your butt should always be completely out of the seat, but just use it as a light balance rather than sitting heavy. Most of the support in biking should be resting on your arms and legs. Using your arms more - engage those triceps - and your legs will take the pressure off.

But be careful to really use your arms and not your wrists, or you'll have sore wrists next!
  • Always_lil_j
    Options
    I've never taken a spin class, but used to bike a TON and know just what you're talking about. One thing my husband used to always tell me from his years as a bike instructor is to get your butt off the seat. I don't mean that your butt should always be completely out of the seat, but just use it as a light balance rather than sitting heavy. Most of the support in biking should be resting on your arms and legs. Using your arms more - engage those triceps - and your legs will take the pressure off.

But be careful to really use your arms and not your wrists, or you'll have sore wrists next!

That is what I was going to say. Get your booty off the seat
  • budgetqueen79
    budgetqueen79 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I either ride standing up for a while, use a gel seat, or you can put on a overnight maxi pad that will help until you get used to it.
  • sea_dog
    sea_dog Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Of course since it said "GIRLZ EYEZ ONLY" I had to read it... very strange but it happens to men as well. Very strange and uncomfortable sensation I must admit. I don't spin, but ride a bike for exercise and I just stand up or take the weight off for a minute and it goes away for a few minutes. I think I will try the one recommendation to keep less weight in the seat though. Good luck.
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options

Getting your butt out of the seat is good, but be careful about how much weight you're resting on the arms. You don't want to risk slipping forward and having your upper body (or chin) crash down to the bar. The greatest effort should definitely be in your legs.

A close friend of mine teaches spinning and she used to lecture us about that all the time. Turns out it is a rather common risk, especially as you sweat and your hands get damp (i.e. slippery).
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Guys have to deal with it too, just in a little bit different way:laugh:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Give it two or three more sessions. My girl parts got used to it!

yup, I've been teaching spin for about a year and you kinda just get used to it. but I agree with the other ladies the bike shorts and seat pad also help!

happy spinning!! :flowerforyou: