Whey Protein enthusiasts, please help me! :)

Options
I've lost all but 11 lbs, now I would like to focus more on weight lifting for toning and definition. I have one major problem with whey protein, I hate the taste of it and I would love some help with enhancing the flavor, plus, any advice on which protein is the best .... brand name and where I would find it? any and all replies will be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've lost all but 11 lbs, now I would like to focus more on weight lifting for toning and definition. I have one major problem with whey protein, I hate the taste of it and I would love some help with enhancing the flavor, plus, any advice on which protein is the best .... brand name and where I would find it? any and all replies will be appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

You don't even need whey protein to "tone", it's just a supplement in the case you can't reach adequate protein through your regular diet.

As for ones that are tasty, trutein, protizyme, Xtreme formulations line are all pretty tasty
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I just switched to GNC's Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 rotein powder and I really like it! 93 calories a scoop with 20 grams of protein. I like to mix the vanilla in smoothies and I drink the chocolate kind with PB2 powder in either water or almond milk.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options

You don't even need whey protein to "tone", it's just a supplement in the case you can't reach adequate protein through your regular diet.

As for ones that are tasty, trutein, protizyme, Xtreme formulations line are all pretty tasty

well, I need supplemental that's for sure, by the end of some days, it kills me to meet 80 grams....
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This.

I've liked most of the Optimum Nutrition stuff I've had. Mixing anything with milk and ice cream will certainly help the flavor.
  • katierrt
    Options
    Ice Cream? hmmmm, never thought of that!! I love ice cream! :)
  • alejandroak
    Options
    Funny you should say that... I tried the same stuff, and I love it...

Initially bought at 5LB bag of EAS Myoplex for $35 or so... Thought, "wow great deal...!!".

Tasted decent... But as I did more research, I learned of all the other options.

Tried the Wheybolic Extreme 60 (Chocolate) and LOVE it... Mixes/dissolves much more readily than the EAS, has fewer carbs pre gram of protein, and tastes much better. Also dissolves readily and easily in cold liquids (I've used water and milk, separately of course LoL...).

GRANTED, it is QUITE pricey... I use it only after weights (3x weekdays, AM). I use the EAS after 1hr spinning M-F... I plan to use a slightly less expensive protein after spinning... Bought 2x 3LB containers of Wheybolic Extreme 60 for $100... ($50 each). YES, it's f*cking expensive, and the name is completely stupid ("Wheybolic"... really? Alcoholic, wheybolic, systolic, diastolic, has no logic... :P), but it tastes great, I feel like recover very well after weights (super sets starting at 75% of my max weight), and at the rate I use it, 6LBS will last me 4-6 months...

Give it a try, it's not bad. But then again it's expensive, and taste is 100% subjective...

Just my "two cents" LoL :-)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options

This.

I've liked most of the Optimum Nutrition stuff I've had. Mixing anything with milk and ice cream will certainly help the flavor.

Yeah, I agree with all of the above and am an Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey user as well. I'm currently using the double rich chocolate flavour. I mix it with coconut milk or full fat greek yogurt.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I just switched to GNC's Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Protein powder and I really like it! 93 calories a scoop with 20 grams of protein. I like to mix the vanilla in smoothies and I drink the chocolate kind with PB2 powder in either water or almond milk.

I use this and I love it. I stick with the Vanilla and I just add mine to water and shake. It tastes great (even just with water), mixes really easily. It is kind of expensive ($50+/ 3 lbs) but it is a combination of Isolate and Hydrolyzed whey (which tend to be pricier). It says it has 17 servings but I only have 1/3 of a serving (usually) per day so I get 51 servings of 20g of protein out of it. Works out to about $1/shake.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Also, check out this link before you decide which one to get: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/04/protein-drinks/index.htm

Consumer Reports investigated heavy metals in several brands of protein powder and found that some had really high levels. The table at the bottom of the page shows how much heavy metal is in every 3 servings. Most are safe but there were three that can be toxic at that level.
  • Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just find way to cover the taste. I use two scoops of my vanilla whey protein powder, mixed with 1 cup of Greek yogurt (even more protein plus great flavor), 1/2 cup to 1 cup of fat free milk, and strawberries (or whatever fruit you like). You won't taste the protein powder at all.
  • gemmaleigh1989
    gemmaleigh1989 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition is the way to go.

Extreme milk chocolate flavour, low fat milk, 1 frozen banana = DELICIOUS
    vanilla ice cream flavor, low fat milk, half a frozen banana, a handful of frozen berries = DELICIOUS

I actually look forward to my shakes. I tried Myofusion because everyone on other forums said that tasted better than ON and I was hugely disappointed. Wish I had stuck with ON and now I have two tubs of Myofusion to get through (banana flavour = less than average, cookies and cream (with one scoop of ice cream) = pretty yum but I wouldn't buy it again)
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    What you mix it with is almost as important as what you buy. IE. Peanut Butter mixed with chocolate protein powder and some skim milk and a bit of greek plain yogurt tastes like a peanut butter cup. Spinach, Carrots, Strawberries, Bananas and Peaches with a vanilla protein powder sounds healthy but doesn't taste all that good. Just as an example :)

bodybuilding.com has a lot of brands with ratings and supplemental information beyond what goes on the jar including reviews from people who have tasted it and taste ratings! I definitely want to buy from their shop the next chance I get as they do deliver all over north america :)
  • NthnButMoonshine
    NthnButMoonshine Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just switched to GNC's Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 rotein powder and I really like it! 93 calories a scoop with 20 grams of protein. I like to mix the vanilla in smoothies and I drink the chocolate kind with PB2 powder in either water or almond milk.

Another vote for this one in Chocolate. I just mix mine with cold water.
  • islandgirl76_
    islandgirl76_ Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb Vanilla, usually mixed with a banana, almond milk and some ice. You can find it at Whole Foods.
  • thaphatdiva
    thaphatdiva Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump. I want to come back to this later. :-)
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    When I started using Whey Protein I hated the taste too. The easiest thing you can do is mix it with milk, it takes quite a lot away from the bitter taste. Now though I can drink it straight up in a glass of water. It tastes alright, not exactly nice, but very tolerable. I used Optimum nutrition double chocolate whey.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    I like Bluebonnet Chocolate whey isolate. 26g of protein per 116 calorie scoop. Sweetened with stevia, from grassfed cows. $40 or so for a 2lb tub on amazon.

I usually blend it with milk or almond milk, a banana, and some other sort of fruit or peanut butter. Lately I've taken to blending it with cold coffee and some other flavoring, whether fruit or an extract.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    dymatize blueberry muffin is my favorite
  • katierrt
    Options
    this is so great, I love this, thanks to all of you!! you're wonderful! :)
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later.
    Thank you.