How many days away from the gym/exercise is too much?

Options
I'm going away this weekend so that's 3, maybe even 4 days away from exercise! I feel like I may go insane lol... I can't afford to go to thegym there as iI already pay an expensive membership where I live and the only exercise I enjoy doing are gym classes.

I know it's important to rest at least one day every week and then a few days once in a while but how many days off is too many? After 3-4 days off, am I going to feel the difference in fitness etc when I get back into it?

I'll still be eating well and to my calorie goal of course.

Replies

• Wakeupwaisted
    Wakeupwaisted Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I doubt a weekend off will completely kill your hard work. Plus even something small could be done if you feel too stressed about it. Check youtube. They have great little workouts that you can do while you're away.theres a bunch!,!!

Found this great 10 minute one : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PWEdJRRndkQ&feature=plpp

Also check out this YouTube fitness guru , blogilates for some fun Pilates, if that's more your thing. :)
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i have read that anything over 3 days can throw your routine off, but who knows! i always try to exercise even when i'm on vacation :) even if its not as intense as you usually would at home
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm going away this weekend so that's 3, maybe even 4 days away from exercise! I feel like I may go insane lol... I can't afford to go to thegym there as iI already pay an expensive membership where I live and the only exercise I enjoy doing are gym classes.

I know it's important to rest at least one day every week and then a few days once in a while but how many days off is too many? After 3-4 days off, am I going to feel the difference in fitness etc when I get back into it?

I'll still be eating well and to my calorie goal of course.

Its not going to hurt to take a couple of days off. If you are that worried about it, do some body weight exercises to keep you going. Squats, push ups, pull ups etc.
    You'll make it through, don't sweat it.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You can always do "active recovery" days when you aren't at the gym. This is a popular term in Cross Fit but I really use it just to describe getting off my butt on non-gym days (I hit the gym 5x per week). My active recovery days are usually leisurely walks or bike rides around the neighborhood, sometimes a gentle yoga class, sometimes a good house cleaning.
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Even simple static exercises and even walking can keep you in check!

If you're with a gym chain have a look and see if they have a branch nearby that you can use instead - always a great perk with a large gym chain!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's life, it happens! 3 or 4 days away from the gym is not going to override a lifetime commitment of healthy living. I used to stress over going on vacation and not being near a gym. Life's too short, just enjoy!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd draw the line at two weeks.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    It's life, it happens! 3 or 4 days away from the gym is not going to override a lifetime commitment of healthy living. I used to stress over going on vacation and not being near a gym. Life's too short, just enjoy!

This. If you are really upset about missing workouts then run/walk or do some body weight exercises to stay active. Or do something active while on vacation (not sure where you are going but you could hike or something maybe)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Take the days off if you want.
    If you're concerned, then do bodyweight exercises and run.