Question for Female Heavy Lifters - Barbell choices?

I was wondering, for the women who pick up and put down heavy things....

Do you lift using a men's olympic barbell or a women's olympic barbell?

Just curious. =]

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I personally like to bend the curl bar on my heavy squats.

Mens...
  • acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Men's
  • I use the 45lb straight bar.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    We only have one kind at my gym I'm pretty sure. It's 20kg so I don't know If that is men's or women's
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Not sure, because it's not mine, a friend lent it to me. the bar weighs about 13lb

when I buy my own I'm seriously considering buying a men's olympic one, because the one my friend lent me is too light, even with all the weights on it it's only 88lb and that's too light for deadlifts, i.e. I can do 12 reps quite easily at that weight, but I have no more weights to put on it :sad: AFAIK the men's olympic bar is 44lb, well all the barbell exercises I do with more weight than that, so it'd be a lot better than the one I'm currently using.

the only potential issue is the length, because I work out at home, if it's too long to be used effectively in a limited space then I'll have to get a smaller/lighter one.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    I use a crappy cheap bar from walmart (probably 15lbs), I am sad about it, but I am also broke. It does the job for now.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Men's, usually. Yeah, I have no problems with loading it up and lifting it, but walk all the way over to the other side of the room and try to find the women's bar? Pfft, as if.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Our gym only has the men's olympic barbells. That's what I use. No choice.

Unless I want to max out with the 60 pound straight bar. :ohwell:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    We only have one kind at my gym I'm pretty sure. It's 20kg so I don't know If that is men's or women's

Men's.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,012 Member
    I had to go with a regular bar due to cost (I work out from home), but my regular bar currently holds 150lbs in plates just fine ... and I don't foresee there being a problem with it holding more and more with each additional week. That being said, I would tell others who are just starting out to buy the Olympic bar if they can afford it.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    the 45# one at my gym.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    The reason you would use a woman's is if your hands are too small or if you are training with a weight that is under 45lbs
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I had to go with a regular bar due to cost (I work out from home), but my regular bar currently holds 150lbs in plates just fine ... and I don't foresee there being a problem with it holding more and more with each additional week. That being said, I would tell others who are just starting out to buy the Olympic bar if they can afford it.

I'm going to try to get one. I have worked out that I have enough room for the length of it. The question is just cost cause I'm broke right now (hoping to fix that soon though)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    i use whatever one is at every rack at the weight room. it's mostly guys there so i assume it's men's olympic?
  • sandiki
    sandiki Posts: 454
    What ever I can get my hands on. When in a pinch I might even use DB. You do what works for you at any given moment.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I use the 45lb straight bar.

Yup, this. I doubt my gym is fancy enough to have a women's olympic.
  • LoveasaurusRex
    LoveasaurusRex Posts: 19 Member
    I didn't figure many used a women's bar. I was just curious to see the preference as I've never used a women's only a mens. Thanks for all the responses. You ladies are awesome.
  • Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    I was wondering, for the women who pick up and put down heavy things....

Do you lift using a men's olympic barbell or a women's olympic barbell?

Just curious. =]

Only get a women's bar if you are serious about the olympic lifts. The smaller diameter makes it much easier to hook grip. Otherwise, get a regular 45 pound bar. Some women can't press the empty bar when they start, and for OP you might want to start with a lighter bar, but if you are only getting 1 bar get the 45 pound one.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Men's. Only men use them anyway...right? :laugh: