Newbie Weightlifting Question

I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find where it had been posed quite like this. I am a 27 year old man and I weigh 215 (about 190 in the picture). I want to lose weight and bulk up. Since it seems that these cannot really be done at the same time, I figure that I should focus on losing weight first since my body fat % is over 20%. Here is my question:

Is there any benefit to me starting to lift weights NOW instead of waiting until I start my bulk? I know that lifting while "cutting" can help you retain more muscle than not lifting, but what if I don't really have much muscle to begin with since I haven't really lifted weights before? Is there really a point to lifting now, or should I just start when I am ready to bulk?

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    As a newbie, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Start lifting now.

What program are you going to use?
  • As a newbie, you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Start lifting now.

What program are you going to use?
    This. Lift. I'd reccomend starting with a strength based program like 5/3/1 (I had amazing results, lifts just about triple in four months) then once you get lean and are ready to bulk eat at a surplus and do a hypertrophy program like DC, HST, or PHAT.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    You're just starting out so it'll be easy to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Lifting will help you build muscle.. with more muscle, you're able to burn more fat easier (higher RMR).

When I started out, I was pretty much your exact age, weight, bf%.. all I did was eat at maintenance (I used an RMR calculator) and lift like crazy, with a little cardio (running 1 mile) sprinkled in. I lost 65 lbs in 2 months.

Since you're new at this, you can probably go at least a year without need a traditional "bulk" and you'll still see progress, if you stick with it and are consistent.
  • Since you're new at this, you can probably go at least a year without need a traditional "bulk" and you'll still see progress, if you stick with it and are consistent.

more like 3-4 months
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Is there any benefit to me starting to lift weights NOW instead of waiting until I start my bulk? I know that lifting while "cutting" can help you retain more muscle than not lifting, but what if I don't really have much muscle to begin with since I haven't really lifted weights before? Is there really a point to lifting now, or should I just start when I am ready to bulk?

While you may see what is referred to as "newbie gains," don't count on them - it doesn't always happen. If it does, great! If not, no biggie.

Since you supposedly don't have much muscle to begin with - wouldn't it make sense to lift and eat right, so that you keep what you do have?

In short - start lifting as soon as you can.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Lift now. Learn and do the lifts properly and concentrate on the major muscle movement exercises (bench, squat, rows, bar or dumbbell curls). Don't get fancy just the basics. And if you can do the weights first.

If this link doesn't come through do a google search on "lifting weights then cardio calories burned" - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

P.S. Please do not worry about the weight lifted - you are there for health, not to get hurt or impress others. I get sore using 1/2 the weight I could lift, using proper form and pace.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    If you wait to start a larger % of your loss will come from lean muscle. strength training is very important while in a caloric deficit in order to preserve the muscle you already have.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Lifting is one of the best way to burn fat. Plus, as an added bonus, lifting with lighter weights will give you a chance to perfect your form so that you don't hurt yourself when you start lifting heavier weights to try and bulk up. Have you lifted before? If not, I would recommend finding a workout buddy to go with you to spot and correct form. One of the biggest mistakes I see among newbie lifters is sacrificing form to try and lift a heavier weight, when you will get a better workout with lighter weights and proper form. Hope this helps.
  • tzeoli86
    tzeoli86 Posts: 75 Member
    Great! Thanks for all the responses! I have a follow up question...what about progressive overload? If I am eating at a deficit and therefore not trying to gain muscle, is there any point to increase weight or reps?
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    I would suggest adding weight each week. Take a look at Starting Strength (by at Amazon) or the free StrongLifts program.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Great! Thanks for all the responses! I have a follow up question...what about progressive overload? If I am eating at a deficit and therefore not trying to gain muscle, is there any point to increase weight or reps?

Absolutely. Strength and muscle mass are not the same things. You will get stronger, but not necessarily bigger (a little, maybe, but not much), with progressive overload. Obviously, at some point, you will need more muscle mass, but that's a ways down the road - probably about the time you've hit a good weight (or BF%) and are looking to actually get bigger.
  • dzarello
    dzarello Posts: 119 Member
    I'm sorry if this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find where it had been posed quite like this. I am a 27 year old man and I weigh 215 (about 190 in the picture). I want to lose weight and bulk up. Since it seems that these cannot really be done at the same time, I figure that I should focus on losing weight first since my body fat % is over 20%. Here is my question:

Lift and lift heavy. Don't worry about the "bulking" and "cutting". As long as you get your calories in check and have a SOLID training program you should loose a little fat and build muscle. Don't be a program jumper. Find one and stick with it for 6-12 months. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, 5/3/1 are all tried and true programs. Basic and very simple to follow.

Good Luck.
  • Lift now. Learn and do the lifts properly and concentrate on the major muscle movement exercises (bench, squat, rows, bar or dumbbell curls). Don't get fancy just the basics. And if you can do the weights first.

If this link doesn't come through do a google search on "lifting weights then cardio calories burned" - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-ripped-dude-cardio-before-or-after-weights.html

P.S. Please do not worry about the weight lifted - you are there for health, not to get hurt or impress others. I get sore using 1/2 the weight I could lift, using proper form and pace.
    >major muscle moment exercises
    >curls

Lol wut.

Aesthetic af. Curls are accessory exercises, not major lifts. And you forgot dead lifts, OHP, and pull ups.
  • mikegl1
    Lift now. Learn and do the lifts properly and concentrate on the major muscle movement exercises (bench, squat, rows, bar or dumbbell curls). Don't get fancy just the basics. And if you can do the weights first.

>curls

Lol wut.

Aesthetic af. Curls are accessory exercises, not major lifts. And you forgot dead lifts, OHP, and pull ups.

And biceps are not part of the major muscle groups exercises? And it wasn't a dissertation on working out just a quick comment..... sheesh.
  • Lift now. Learn and do the lifts properly and concentrate on the major muscle movement exercises (bench, squat, rows, bar or dumbbell curls). Don't get fancy just the basics. And if you can do the weights first.

>curls

Lol wut.

And biceps are not part of the major muscle groups exercises? And it wasn't a dissertation on working out just a quick comment..... sheesh.
    You can do whatever accessory work and isolation you'd like but it doesn't make it a major lift. If you focus on compound lifts you'll hit all the major muscle groups. Power > aesthetics. Plus, you only mentioned three of the big six.
  • mikegl1

>curls

Lol wut.

You can do whatever accessory work and isolation you'd like but it doesn't make it a major lift. If you focus on compound lifts you'll hit all the major muscle groups. Power > aesthetics. Plus, you only mentioned three of the big six.
    Again not a dissertation - go away.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Again not a dissertation - go away.

1034366434_CMyDocumentsGuard.jpg