Weightloss is complicated.

Options
They say the key is to eat clean and exercise but y does it seem like there's so much more to it then just that?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    for *most* people, it's fairly simple. Calories in/calories out. When people have issues, it's typically due to counting. They're either underestimating how much they eat, or overestimating how much they burn.

Get a food scale. Go by weight and not measure (ALWAYS!). Get an HRM if you're going to eat back your exercise calories. Be as accurate as you can, even though you'll never be completely accurate.

It's worked well for me over the last 21 months. And I do have medical difficulties: PCOS and hypothyroidism. But even for me, it's calories in/calories out.
  • mili5726
    mili5726 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In my opinion people make it more complicated than it really is. I know everybody is different but I went from 160 lbs to 120 lbs by working out 6 days a week. I did a mixture of cardio and weights. I ate less, I ate things like Subway, cereals, salads, etc. I didn't count my calories I just ate considerably less than what I was eating before. The weight came off so easy. I think you should just eat less and move more. Then again everyone is different, it was easy for me to lose weight like that but it might be more complicated for someone else.
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It is simple consume less calories than you burn and you will lose weight. The trick with everything else is trying to make your calorie choices as healthy as possible. The short answer is focus on eating at a deficit and learn how to improve the quality of the calories that you eat as you drop the weight. This isn't a sprint to the weight you want this is about producing a body that will be healthy when you are 80+ years old. Start with the weight loss. Read, study, apply what you learn. Feel free to add me. Anyone can.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Weightloss is complicated

Understatement of the century....
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No, weightloss is SIMPLE. It's SO simple in fact, that people can't help but try to over-complicate it.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    It IS as simple as healthful eating and exercise. But we live in a culture that wants us to do exactly the opposite. We live in a culture that puts bacon on french fries and burger patties between two donuts, a culture where chefs become celebrities and the more butter-soaked their cuisine, the more popular (I am looking at you, Paula Deen). We live in a culture that elevates those who sit at a desk all day and demeans those who do physical work. We live in a culture where four cheeseburgers cost less than a pound of apples. Almost everything about our culture sets us up to fail.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's not the weightloss that is complicated. It's the emotional issues behind the weight gain. That is why many find it so hard.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It's difficult, but not complicated (barring medical conditions). Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.
    It is pretty tough because there are reasons you eat what you do and there are reasons you are as active as you are. I'm down 58lbs in ten months and there have been some really hard times, but they weren't hard because the weight loss is complicated. They were hard because I am complicated.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It IS as simple as healthful eating and exercise. But we live in a culture that wants us to do exactly the opposite. We live in a culture that puts bacon on french fries and burger patties between two donuts, a culture where chefs become celebrities and the more butter-soaked their cuisine, the more popular (I am looking at you, Paula Deen). We live in a culture that elevates those who sit at a desk all day and demeans those who do physical work. We live in a culture where four cheeseburgers cost less than a pound of apples. Almost everything about our culture sets us up to fail.
    Whatever happened to taking responsibility for your actions? I am sorry but this is pure nonsense.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It's not, at all. You're even overcomplicating it with the clean stuff and exercise. Clean- debatable, but the idea goes towards your health, not necessary for weight loss. Exercise? Also unnecessary, but it certainly makes it easier to a degree- but the purpose of exercise is fitness and health- weight loss is achieved ONLY by eating less calories than your TDEE.

If everyone took a couple weeks at the beginning to figure out their own actual TDEEs- meaning the # of calories necessary to maintain weight, and ate a moderate deficit less than that number, it would work for everyone (with a few exceptions of peopel with metabolic diseases).
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    No, weightloss is SIMPLE. It's SO simple in fact, that people can't help but try to over-complicate it.

This.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It's not the weightloss that is complicated. It's the emotional issues behind the weight gain. That is why many find it so hard.
    I can agree with this.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options

Absolutely. Lots of people have a very complicated relationship with food. You don't have to have a full blown eating disorder to have issues with food.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    They say the key is to eat clean and exercise but y does it seem like there's so much more to it then just that?

one rule to weight loss, burn more calories than you consume, that's it. (notice it says nothing about clean or dirty eating here)
    Yup. Eat less. Move more. Pretty simple...cleanliness has nothing to do with it.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Yup.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

/thread
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    I ate less, I ate things like Subway, cereals, salads, etc. I didn't count my calories I just ate considerably less than what I was eating before. The weight came off so easy. I think you should just eat less and move more. .

Well, in a nutshell, thats what MFP recomends too - eat less (and healthier food) and move more - the system just refines it into a method of counting how much you eat and how much excercise you do - but its still just a 'Eat less calories, Move more' equation.

MFP, Weight watcher and all other reputable weight loss programs are just variations on how you measure and acheive 'Eat less, Move more'
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm so overwhelmed by all the different advice I receive daily lol but I take everything in. Thank u all.
  • primmomof3
    Options
    I ate well. worked out everyday!!! Lost a few inches but very little weight. Its frustrating but I gained 50 lbs from taking an anti depressant. Would love people to inbox me if they have every had success losing weight while on them!!!
  • ldnewlady
    ldnewlady Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well, weight loss can be complicated if you follow diet A one week, diet B the next, then diet C, diet D, any time a new fad diet come out. It can also be complicated if you don't exercise, and eat too much. It can also be complicated if you have too much stress and emotional issues going on. Oh, and if you have high expectations of losing a lot of weight each week, then it can be complicated but that is because you are setting yourself up, and making it that way.

Other then that weight loss does not have to be complicated. Make up your mind to do it, no excuses, and you will be be successful.