Let's talk Books!

Options
What are your favorites? They can be weight loss, healthy lifestyle, dieting, exercise, etc. After the Skinny B**** debacle, I would like to find some GOOD books to add to my library.

Replies

• spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading a Womens stress book... Its pretty good.. espeically if your stresssed and trying to loose weight at the same time... Its called The Ultimate Stree-Relief Plan for Women SO Stressed by Stephanie McClellan MD and Beth Hamilton. Its prettty interesting....
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't have a favorite book, but currently I have a favorite author; Laurel Hamilton. Althought currently I am reading "Barefoot Running; Light and free on your feet" by Michael Sandler. It is a bit quirky, but if you get past the new age spiritual stuff there is a lot of good information about how to start and keep barefoot running as part of your lifestyle.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I really liked Jillian Michaels' book "Master Your Metabolism". She writes about how our hormones and the things around us (stress, chemicals, etc) all contribute to weight loss. It was quite eye-opening.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Not really a nutrition related book, but...I love cookbooks, lately:

'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' by Julia Child
    'How to Cook Everything' by Mark Bittman

Nutrition-wise, my last read was "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    All of the Atkins books written by Dr. Atkins.

My favorite of all time, Mark Sisson, The Primal Blue Print and waiting on my cookbook to arrive now.

I also like Dr. Eades writings and teachings too.

Julia Ross, The Mood Cure also.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will look all of those up!
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I just came across Ali Vincent's (Biggest Loser) book "Believe It, Be It" at the library. It's a pretty good quick read and inspiring too.

Cindy
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    What are your favorites? They can be weight loss, healthy lifestyle, dieting, exercise, etc. After the Skinny B**** debacle, I would like to find some GOOD books to add to my library.

I take it you're not a fan of the Skinny B**** books? Just curious why not.

Hands down, The China Study. It doesn't get really interesting until page 60-something but after that, I was riveted! :smile:
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The entire thing consists of them trying to convince you to go vegan.. which in itself I dont mind, but I felt it was very misleading.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Fast Food Nation

It was an interesting ang thought provoking read - even if possibly a little sensationalist.
    I'm thankful that a lot of his examples don't apply in this country
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I really like the Flat Belly Diet book. I'm not a big fan of "diets" or even planning, for that matter lol which probably explains why it's taken me so long to lose 20 pounds. :sad: Anyway, the book has great recipes and a real common sense approach, for me, to this whole food thing. 400 calories 4 times a day. I am rarely hungry and even though I gave up weighing myself some time ago my clothes are fitting much better!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    One of my all time faves is "The Courage to Start" by John Bingham. It's incredibly motivating.

Another that I love that is more about lifestyle is " A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle. It'll change the way you see yourself and the world around you.

Sidebar: when I saw the subject, I read it first as "Lets Talk Boobs". LOL! I need new glasses!