plant based proteins?

Options
**TL;DR: Headaches caused by food. I need NON-MEAT, NON-DAIRY, NON-NUT, NON-SOY protein sources!**

Hello! I've been a migraine sufferer for most of my life, haven't found pills that work, tried everything from weight loss to chiropractic work to LASIK vision correction in an attempt to determine the cause of my headaches. All of my scans and imaging have come back normal (thankfully!) so my neurologist suggested to limit certain foods from my diet to see if that affects my headaches.

The issue is, he has me avoiding almost all foods -- meats (processed and unprocessed), dairy, nuts/seeds, and chocolate.

I have found a direct link between my consumption of chocolate and headaches -- one "fun size" bar and I'm fine, two and I can feel the early stages of a headache, and anything more than three pieces sends me into a migraine that can last all day. Similar relationship with peanuts and peanut butter -- one to two tablespoons and I'm fine. Anything more is disastrous.

After eliminating my two favorite foods for over three weeks (seriously, who doesn't love chocolate and peanut butter?) I've noticed that the duration and frequency of my headaches has dropped from 4 migraines per week, each ruining half a day, down to a maximum of two "regular" headaches per week that only last for a few hours and don't involve laying in the dark and trying to hide from the world.

So now I'm thinking the culprit may also be almonds -- I drink a lot of almond milk because I'm not a fan of cow's milk. I was never really a cheese enthusiast, so cutting cheese out of my diet hasn't been a problem. I also don't eat sour cream or cottage cheese. Really, the only dairy I consume is from Greek yogurt (love it!) and cream cheese ... and ice cream.

I have yet to determine if beans are linked to my headaches. So basically I'm wondering if there are any protein-rich foods (aside from eggs and beans) that aren't animal-based, or nuts or seeds? I also do not eat soy products because of its relationship with estrogen. I have an increased risk of developing estrogen receptive breast cancer so I do not eat soy, nor do I use hormonal contraceptives.

Also, at first I thought this doctor was a total quack but then I remembered that other doctors had previously suggested limiting and monitoring my diet. That was before I used MFP or logged my meals, so I sort of laughed it off and never really investigated the lists. Even though these lists make it seem like I can only eat lettuce and ice cubes :(

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Google "high protein veggies". Things like spinach and broccoli have good amountsof protein, although you do have to eat a ton to get high amounts, they have a good protein to calories ratio, if that makes sense. Can you eat quinoa? Tofu (is tofu soy?) Maybe look into meat alternatives such as Boca Burger or Morning Star farms products. They might be soy based, but I think some are veggie based.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you haven't tried it, Spirulina. It's expensive, compared to other protein supplements, but if it's the only way to get protein, then it's worth it! I think it comes in pill form, too. 16 g protein per ounce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2765/2
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My suggestion to you would be to eliminate one food at a time, if it doesn't help with eliminating head aches... eliminate another food that triggers them. Then you can figure out exactly what is causing it. I doubt it's all foods. It's probably a certain food or a couple foods that give you head aches.

High protein veggies (these are estimates):
    Beans and Lentils - up to 35g per cup depending on which you choose
    Spinach - 4g per cup
    Broccoli - 4g per cup
    Portobella Mushrooms - 5g per cup
    Green Peas - 5g per cup
    Sun dried tomatoes - 8g per cup
    Sweet Potatoes - include skin is 4g per cup
    Corn - 5g per cup
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Tofu (is tofu soy?) Maybe look into meat alternatives such as Boca Burger or Morning Star farms products. They might be soy based, but I think some are veggie based.

Yeah, those are all soy. And I'd recommend against Quorn because that stuff is evil. (Oh, sure, it's fine until you have the allergic reaction that nearly kills you. SO NOT WORTH IT.)

So... that doesn't leave a whole lot. Peas, if it turns out that some legumes are ok for you, although it kind of sounds like not. Hemp protein powder, if you don't mind a supplement. High-gluten flours, although that they can cause their own problems. Lots and lots of leafy greens. The greek yogurt is probably going to be your best bet.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    hemp.

I prefer a protein shake (it gives me what I need while also satisfying my chocolate cravings).

They have Hemp, brown rice, cranberry, alfalfa & pea protein. Genuine Health Vegan Proteins. Cheap too.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Chickpeas.
    They are what hummus is made from - hummus is good. They are also yummy roasted as a snack.
    They are also known as garbanzo beans, but I'm not sure if they are really a bean.
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a good source because it's one of the few veg sources that's a complete protein in itself.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas, Seitan (faux meats made from wheat gluten - I make it myself to avoid weird food additives), Quinoa, Beans/Legumes, other whole grains like barley and brown rice. Also, Good Karma brand has recently introduced a protein-enriched Flax Milk and you could definitely try that.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    QUINOA!!!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's really difficult when you have restrictions. I'm in a similar situation.
    Still learning to work with limited choices.
    Nuts & chocolate had to to- they were only snacking foods for me anyway...I do miss nuts though!
    No dairy since Jan 1 so far...getting used to that, and cutting back on animal protein. Very limited amounts of beans legumes seeds too for me.
    I feel your frustration...
    Good luck.
  • bump040510
    Options
    Have you tried nutritional yeast? I sounds weird, but it's actually quite delicious ad has an almost cheesy flavour. I make "cheese" sauce from it, and sprinkle it on veggies and even toss it on popcorn! I don't eat any dairy, so it's really nice to have this around. Once of my kids is a vegetarian and she eats quite a bit of it. You would find it in the natural foods area of your grocery store. Usually near the organic sugar and alternative grains.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Many beans have the correct Essential Amino Acids that the body needs. Of course peanuts are a bean and you are not eating those, did your Doctor really say avoid nuts and seeds? I would have perhaps thought that he is looking at Glutamate reaction as a migraine cause.

As for something new and entirely different but is more than likely going to be the next big thing, Potato Protein Isolates as a supplement, excellent BCAA and EAA and no fat, no carbs and no glutamate.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of foods here listed by others, so I won't repeat them. If you are considering a protein powder, I order a pea/rice/hemp blend from True Nutrition called Vegan Optimizer Protein formula which has a complete and balanced amino acid profile. One serving has about 115 calories and 23 grams of protein. You can choose the flavor and sweetener you like and it's only about $6 per pound.

Edited to add: They also have the pea, rice, and hemp available separately in case you are sensitive to any of those on their own.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Nuts and seeds are out of the question because certain healthy fats and amino acids (you know, the ones that are NECESSARY FOR SURVIVAL) are linked with increased inflammation which may result in headaches.

For a while I thought it was gluten, but after some *exciting* and *interesting* trips to the gastroenterologist we determined that gluten is not the issue. I also had really awful stomach issues for a while, couple that with migraines, throw in some PMS here and there and it's a wonder I ever get out of bed. I even thought I had Fibromyalgia because sometimes my entire body hurts for no apparent reason. I'm also a bit of a hypochondriac ... but it is truly nice to see a reduction in my symptoms since cutting back on chocolates and nuts.

I'm thinking maybe I should see an allergist? I also get these bumps on my chin (not really pimples, but some other kind of annoying blemish) regardless of time of the month or what I eat or how I wash my face or what makeup and skin products I use.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! Nuts and seeds are out of the question because certain healthy fats and amino acids (you know, the ones that are NECESSARY FOR SURVIVAL) are linked with increased inflammation which may result in headaches.

For a while I thought it was gluten, but after some *exciting* and *interesting* trips to the gastroenterologist we determined that gluten is not the issue. I also had really awful stomach issues for a while, couple that with migraines, throw in some PMS here and there and it's a wonder I ever get out of bed. I even thought I had Fibromyalgia because sometimes my entire body hurts for no apparent reason. I'm also a bit of a hypochondriac ... but it is truly nice to see a reduction in my symptoms since cutting back on chocolates and nuts.

I'm thinking maybe I should see an allergist? I also get these bumps on my chin (not really pimples, but some other kind of annoying blemish) regardless of time of the month or what I eat or how I wash my face or what makeup and skin products I use.

I would definitely get tested for food allergies. It could make this whole process easier by finding out which foods cause inflammation. I was tested when I was little and again 3 years ago. I've been getting allergy shots since! I have no food allergies, luckily, but I'm pretty much allergic to everything else LOL. Including tap water and my own sweat, which give me very very itchy hives.
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options

This is bollocks because peanuts are not a nut. there is no known medical cause of ingestion of essential amino acids, there are no essential fatty acids that is pure myth. There are many reactions to some dietary foods but you have listed none. I think you are a dangerous nonsense merchant and the reason I write this is to make sure that uf this web page is mentioned somewhere then at least this will be here. You are delusional as to your symptoms and the non-specific nature of headaches versus the all out hideous nature of migraine. People like you should really STFU because you confuse "a bit uncomforatble" with "OMG my head is splitting into tiny pieces and I need a pitch black room" - my vision has gone. Fecks like you should LISTEN to the ones who suffer and I assure you,, NUTS AND SEEDS are not your problem.

I suffer migraines, as in totally my life is over when I have them. from any POV about migraines, no doctor has ever said no nits and seeds, in fact the opposite. As for tinabell153, grow up and stop chatting sheet. The chances of a food allergy are zero, a food allergy is as it sounds - a massive terrible reaction like lactose intolerance. You eithetr are allergic or you are not, testing is meaningless/ except fot those selling tests and/or the food.

Uh, thanks for your incredibly helpful support. I guess I'm just making it up to sell a product. Yup. For a while I suspected that all my doctors were full of bollocks, but hey, I only live in New York and deal with some of the most experienced professionals in their respective fields.
  • phedre23
    Options
    Have you tried nutritional yeast? I sounds weird, but it's actually quite delicious ad has an almost cheesy flavour.

Oh! First post for me, yay!

Nutritional yeast is so very awesome. It has an interesting nutty, cheesy flavour, that is a complete protein and also gives you B-complex vitamins for a great energy boost. Its really good for making a sauce, but it shines through in popcorn, which can be a pretty healthy snack, sans butter. I like to pop my popcorn on the stove, in a little bit of coconut oil, though any oil able to be brought to high heat would do. And then I season it with a little salt, a pinch of cumin and cinnamon, a bunch of nutritional yeast, and chipotle chili powder. But its good in everything: mashed potatoes, mac & cheese, ect.

Another suggestion is sprouts. Especially sunflower and pea shoots, they pack a ridiculous amount of protein for such teeny things, and there are so many different types to try (though their nutritional values vary, as do the grown up versions of the plants). They make an insanely healthy snack.

Wheat berries also have a decent protein amount, though it is by no means complete, but it could help you add protein-moderate substitutes, where you other wise wouldn't. It tastes great in stews, and can be a rice substitute in savory dishes. And for breakfast, instead of oatmeal, you can heat already made wheat berries (I like to freeze some in a glass jar), with a little bit of hemp or almond milk in the microwave and then add a bit of honey and cinnamon and whatever fruit you have lying around.