Walking with incline on treadmill

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    As others have said, incline treadmill walking is excellent for burning calories. To repeat, in order to get the most out of it, you cannot hold on to the handrails.

Research has shown that handrail support can reduce the amount of calories burned by as much as 70% (compared to what you would expect based on the speed and incline).

People who walk at high speeds and high inclines, but have to hold on for dear life, not only have bad biomechanics, but are only burning a fraction of the calories they think they are.

It it much better to start with a slower speed (in the 2.5-3.0 mph range) and learn to tolerate the higher inclines (10%-15%)--it's the incline that really adds the itensity--without handrail support. It takes some getting used to -- your back will get a little achy at first-- but it pays off in the long run.

It might be a 10-20% difference..No way is it 70%..I walk at very high inclines and my heart rate is much higher holding onto the front rail compared to walking at a 10% incline and not holding on..Plus I can feel it my legs much more at 30-40% incline holding on the rails..Plus my lower back is much stronger now then it was before I started..

Note that I used the term "as much as". So, no, not every instance of handrail support will be off by 70%--it is a range, with the highest amount at the higher combinations of speed and elevation.

And, rereading this, I realize I am unclear what you are disputing. The discrepancy in numbers that I am citing is the difference between the numbers displayed on the console and what one is actually burning. It is not a comparison of completely different workloads. If you are working at a 30%-40% incline, you have to hold on and so you don't know what your actual workload is. So there is really no way to compare that to "walking at a 10% incline" especially since you haven't mentioned the speed. It's not like EVERY incidence of walking without support MUST be greater than every instance of walking with handrail support. Again, going up to 40% is beyond the limits of human capability. So it stands to reason that, even with holding on and offsetting a large chunk of the actual workload, you could still be working harder than doing another workload walking unsupported.

The study that demonstrated the effects of handrail support replaced the handrail on a treadmill with a device that measured the actual force exerted hanging on to the rails. It also compared the effects of walking assisted and unassisted. It was very well designed (probably published 25 years ago when we were still doing real graded exercise testing in clinical settings). The 70% figure came during the 4th stage of the Bruce protocol, with a workload of 4.2 mph and 16% incline.

You can do whatever you want. If you like the effect that you get from those kinds of workouts, that's fine. I am only presenting the science so that people can judge what is best for them. And the science is that handrail support can sharply reduce the number of calories actually burnt compared to what is on the display. That's something that many people don't seem to understand, based on my conversations on this website and with some of our members. If you like the feeling of walking at a steep incline and feel it provides unique benefits, and you are not counting the exercise calories on the display, that's perfectly fine. I am just saying that, in terms of aerobic training and calorie burning, there is nothing that can be done on that type of treadmill that cannot be achieved on a regular one, so people should not purchase one because they think they are going to get a unique calorie-burning experience.

My concern is never with anyone who knows what they are getting and enjoys their purchase. It is with those who get taken in by misleading advertising and end up thinking they are getting something that they are not. Or limiting themselves to a niche exercise piece when they wanted something more versatile.
  • danigomezc
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I thought. Do you know of a good HRM I could get. I got a Timex Personal Trainer Heart Rate Monitor. Or is there a way to recalibrate it or something?
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    hmm... I don't hold on cuz I need to - it just feel natural (I hold onto the top)...but most of the time I'm running and can't hold onto nothing. I wonder how bad is it really?
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Question:
    Will walking for a minimum of 60 minutes at an incline of (7.0) 7% with a speed of 3.5 or higher be effective for weight loss and the loss of inches?
    additional info: this of course is being combined with controlled eating, low carb-high protein way of life. *Also I cannot run or use the elliptical as of now due to a recent surgery. I have only been cleared for treadmill use and extremely light weights (10-15 pounds.nothing higher).
    Any advice or success stories welcomed and appreciated!!!!:wink:

Just wondering why you can walk at 7% incline but not use eliptical? Wouldn't the incline pretty much work same miles as eliptical?

To answer your question yes. You will have a higher burn with a higher incline (resistance) but also if you increased the speed.

I have intense knee pain when using the eliptical or cycle but can do the treadmill at a high incline and do some jogging. I also have problems going down steps but not up. It is in the movement of the knee.
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    As others have said, incline treadmill walking is excellent for burning calories. To repeat, in order to get the most out of it, you cannot hold on to the handrails.

Research has shown that handrail support can reduce the amount of calories burned by as much as 70% (compared to what you would expect based on the speed and incline).

People who walk at high speeds and high inclines, but have to hold on for dear life, not only have bad biomechanics, but are only burning a fraction of the calories they think they are.

It it much better to start with a slower speed (in the 2.5-3.0 mph range) and learn to tolerate the higher inclines (10%-15%)--it's the incline that really adds the itensity--without handrail support. It takes some getting used to -- your back will get a little achy at first-- but it pays off in the long run.

It might be a 10-20% difference..No way is it 70%..I walk at very high inclines and my heart rate is much higher holding onto the front rail compared to walking at a 10% incline and not holding on..Plus I can feel it my legs much more at 30-40% incline holding on the rails..Plus my lower back is much stronger now then it was before I started..

Note that I used the term "as much as". So, no, not every instance of handrail support will be off by 70%--it is a range, with the highest amount at the higher combinations of speed and elevation.

And, rereading this, I realize I am unclear what you are disputing. The discrepancy in numbers that I am citing is the difference between the numbers displayed on the console and what one is actually burning. It is not a comparison of completely different workloads. If you are working at a 30%-40% incline, you have to hold on and so you don't know what your actual workload is. So there is really no way to compare that to "walking at a 10% incline" especially since you haven't mentioned the speed. It's not like EVERY incidence of walking without support MUST be greater than every instance of walking with handrail support. Again, going up to 40% is beyond the limits of human capability. So it stands to reason that, even with holding on and offsetting a large chunk of the actual workload, you could still be working harder than doing another workload walking unsupported.

The study that demonstrated the effects of handrail support replaced the handrail on a treadmill with a device that measured the actual force exerted hanging on to the rails. It also compared the effects of walking assisted and unassisted. It was very well designed (probably published 25 years ago when we were still doing real graded exercise testing in clinical settings). The 70% figure came during the 4th stage of the Bruce protocol, with a workload of 4.2 mph and 16% incline.

You can do whatever you want. If you like the effect that you get from those kinds of workouts, that's fine. I am only presenting the science so that people can judge what is best for them. And the science is that handrail support can sharply reduce the number of calories actually burnt compared to what is on the display. That's something that many people don't seem to understand, based on my conversations on this website and with some of our members. If you like the feeling of walking at a steep incline and feel it provides unique benefits, and you are not counting the exercise calories on the display, that's perfectly fine. I am just saying that, in terms of aerobic training and calorie burning, there is nothing that can be done on that type of treadmill that cannot be achieved on a regular one, so people should not purchase one because they think they are going to get a unique calorie-burning experience.

My concern is never with anyone who knows what they are getting and enjoys their purchase. It is with those who get taken in by misleading advertising and end up thinking they are getting something that they are not. Or limiting themselves to a niche exercise piece when they wanted something more versatile.

Studies are a dime a dozen. Especially one done 25 years ago. There are so many variables. It probably depends on where you hold onto a rail. Is it the side rail or the front rail. How extended are your arms..Do you lean forward and support a lot of your weight. What's the speed. How fit is the individual doing the clinical study. How much do they weigh. Walking at 4.2 mph at a 16% incline as mentioned in the clinical setting is hard to do..Many can't walk 4.2 mph at no incline..So if the person in the study has really bad form and can barely keep up. Then maybe it is 70%. But way, way out of the norm imo. Every scenario is going to be different.

When I walk up an incline of 30-40% at 2.5 - 3 mph holding onto the front rail. My heart rate is higher compared to running at 5-6 mph at no incline..That's one of the reasons I bought a treadmill with such a high incline..You do get more out of a high incline treadmill compared to most treadmills. Most treadmills stop at a 15% incline. I wanted something different then the usual. So I would disagree with you about comparing a normal treadmill (10-15% incline) to a treadmill that goes up to 40%. I don't know if I would call it a unique calorie burning experience..I call it one hell of a workout. Better then any treadmill I've ever been on. Just walking, you heart rate will rise much faster compared to a treadmill that stops at 15% at similar speeds.

There were no misleading advertisements. I found it online searching for over 2 months for a treadmill. I didn't even know that treadmills went up to a 40% incline. Once I saw it and knew that was the one for me. The price was reasonable. Completely satisfied and would recommend it to anyone looking for a treadmill without hesitation.
  • ecilaaa
    Options
    A combination of spinning classes and walking at 3.5mph at 12.5% incline has helped me so much! Lost a lot of weight when combined with a high protein and low carb low fat diet ... Gained some weight so need to get back on this :p
  • Taralynngranius
    Options
    I started walking the treadmill at an incline about a month ago. I can already see a huge difference in my thighs, hips, waist, and most importantly - my booty. :) I alternate incline (8-12) and speed (3.2-4.2) for 35-60 minutes about 4 times a week. I've never really been much for exercise, but I also know that I won't continue losing if I don't step it up - literally. I am a big fan of the incline on the treadmill!
  • Taralynngranius
    Options
    Can you tell me if you hold on when you are doing the incline???

I started walking the treadmill at an incline about a month ago. I can already see a huge difference in my thighs, hips, waist, and most importantly - my booty. :) I alternate incline (8-12) and speed (3.2-4.2) for 35-60 minutes about 4 times a week. I've never really been much for exercise, but I also know that I won't continue losing if I don't step it up - literally. I am a big fan of the incline on the treadmill!
  • DispatcherLangmaid
    Options
    I walk at a 15 incline 3.0 speed for 30+ minute everyday
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    ^ Love the "most importantly" part of this
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes, you guys are beasts! Your speeds and inclines are amazing to me! I hit my treadmill for maybe 45 minutes at an average speed of maybe 2.5mph and an average incline of 5 or maybe 6 and I feel like I'm really kicking butt, haha. Seriously, you guys are crazy good. :)
  • steflbrown
    Options
    I walk 5X a week for 30 minutes at a 10% grade at a speed of 3.2-3.5. I do occasionally have to hold on, but I try to keep upright as much as possible. I've definitely noticed a change in my legs, butt, and hips. It's a great work out!
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I do 45 minutes a day, 5x a week, at 3.8 to 4.0 speed, and 6 to 7 incline. I totally feel it in my legs, and my constantly sore left hip is not sore when I keep to this routine.

Through in a little circuit training, or weights of some type, and you will continue to be a fat burning machine!
  • LaurenOliver
    Options
    So glad I read this thread! I have been holding on like a fool. haha. I know I am not a foo, but thinking about it now, of course it seems obvious the correct and most effective way is to not hold on. Now I know. I alternate between running/jogging and walking at an incline. Thanks for all the advice.
  • danigomezc
    Options
    Hi. I'm a little confused about the incline on the treadmill. If the incline on the treadmill reads 5, does that mean it's at 5%? Cause going steeper than 5 makes my lower back hurt :/

Also, after walking for 1 hour at 3.5-3.8 on that incline, my HRM said I burnt 912 calories! Is it crazy? Or is that actually possible?

Not at that worklaod.

Even if you kept it at 3.8 mph and 5% hill the entire hour, and you did not hold on to the hanrails, you would have to weigh over 360 lbs to burn 912 calories in an hour at that workload. I think your HRM is out of whack.

Hi. I was wondering if I'm burning more because I'm out of shape (working on it though). I read this in another forum:
    "....if you were to do the same work with an out of shape person and a fit person with the same stats, the out of shape person would burn more."

Is this true? It kinda makes sense. What seems like a very light work out for most, was actually a heck of a work out for me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...People who walk at high speeds and high inclines, but have to hold on for dear life, not only have bad biomechanics, but are only burning a fraction of the calories they think they are...

It drives me nuts when I see people doing this. And I see it ALL THE TIME. It always seems like such a waste to me. :tongue:
  • CharityBT
    Options
    How are you possibly still be "speadwalking" at 6.0-6.5mph? The treadmills at my gym are forcing me into a run at @ 4.5!
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I do a treadmill workout where I vary the incline and not the speed. I walk between 4.1 and 4.3 mph and change up the incline every few minutes. So, I will do 1-2 minutes at 1 (or 2 or 3) and then 1-2 minutes at 6 (or 7 or 8) etc. Im always dripping with sweat at the end. I do 3-3.25 miles (takes about 43-45 minutes) and my treadmill says Ive burned 500 calories, though I think it's probably closer to 300-350.

You can also do a sort of HIIT on the treadmill by doing a slow speed and low incline for a minute and then a higher speed and incline for a minute. Just alternate for 30 minutes or so and make sure you up the incline as well as the speed.

If you have to hold the handrail, then I think you are probably trying to perform at a higher level than you are ready for. Lower the incline a bit, and/or your speed, and work your way up to it.
  • GreatGreenSea
    GreatGreenSea Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a manual workout creating my own hills...I'll walk at 3% incline/3 mph for five minutes, then increase the incline by .5% every ten seconds until I hit 7%. I'll do this for a few minutes (increasing and decreasing every ten seconds), then another couple of minutes at a lower incline, etc. I can't even imagine a 15% incline, but I'm sure I'll make it there eventually! Yesterday I did 5% for ten minutes (at 3 mph), then 6% for ten minutes, then 7% for ten minutes. I was sweating like crazy but damn I felt good and really raised my heart rate! I can burn a ****load of calories doing this (about ten per minute) because my weight is high.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    Hi. I'm a little confused about the incline on the treadmill. If the incline on the treadmill reads 5, does that mean it's at 5%? Cause going steeper than 5 makes my lower back hurt :/

Also, after walking for 1 hour at 3.5-3.8 on that incline, my HRM said I burnt 912 calories! Is it crazy? Or is that actually possible?

Not at that worklaod.

Even if you kept it at 3.8 mph and 5% hill the entire hour, and you did not hold on to the hanrails, you would have to weigh over 360 lbs to burn 912 calories in an hour at that workload. I think your HRM is out of whack.

Hi. I was wondering if I'm burning more because I'm out of shape (working on it though). I read this in another forum:
    "....if you were to do the same work with an out of shape person and a fit person with the same stats, the out of shape person would burn more."

Is this true? It kinda makes sense. What seems like a very light work out for most, was actually a heck of a work out for me.

I have a tendency to trust my HRM calories burned. I eat back my calories and have had results trusting those numbers. Honestly I think you should trust it. My hubby weighs 50 lbs more than I do, (plus he's a male lol) and when we do the same workout he burns WAY more calories than I do. When we walk for an hour on the street, I'll burn 400 calories to his 700. I think you should trust your HRM.