Need some strategies for upcoming vacation

Options
I started MFP at the beginning of January and I've lost almost 25 pounds so far (out of 100+). After the initial 10 or 15 lbs. my weight loss has continued at a slower, steadier rate - which is good. I have been working out (cardio) 5 - 6 days a week - mostly walking.

Here's my problem. Next weekend I'm going on vacation (Disney World with my grand-kids). I'll be away from home 10 days - away from my regular routine, away from my computer (I log everything I eat, and all my exercise, pretty much as soon as I eat it). My phone isn't a fancy one - so no apps to use for logging stuff.

We will be staying in a condo - so breakfast and dinner won't be too much of an issue. My problem is lunch and snacks and the temptation to just eat whatever is at hand. I need some suggestions for portable snacks - and possibly lunches. If anyone has any great ideas for places/things to eat in the parks, that won't sabotage my weight loss, I would sure appreciate hearing them.

BTW - I really don't care if I lose any weight while on vacation, but I would hate to come home and find out that I had gained 5 pounds...or more.

Replies

• Xelace
    Xelace Posts: 18
    Options
    I would suggest bringing small bags of pre-cut carrot sticks, fruits or nuts for snacks. Whatever you usually snack on. Zip-lock bags are easy to carry and won't make a mess in your bag.
    If you're eating out, I would suggest going to a restaurant, rather than a food stand type of place. Order basically whatever you want and request things like salad instead of fries or rice, dressing or sauce on the side or other adjustments you feel is necessary. It really shouldn't be a problem for most restaurants to do this.
    Also, order water even if you're planning on having something else. And carry water at all times, basically.

Good luck! Hope you have a great vacation!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, my wife and I went on vacation for a week, ate ridiculous amounts of things that probably should have killed us, got home, weighed ourselves, and had gained nothing. Not a single pound. We just found a decent gym down there and kept up our lifting schedule while on vacation. /shrug
  • crashhanna
    Options
    Thank you! I don't each out much when I'm home, I prefer to cook my own meals - that way I know what went into it (also, it's way cheaper).

I will take some baggies for snacks, I feel a little more confident about those now, but I still am unsure about lunches. We'll be in the parks most days, and with 9 people in our group, sit-down restaurants are probably going to be cost prohibitive.
  • PHF58
    PHF58 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am also going on vacation in March and love what GALLOWMERE198 said abt not gaining..... I do want to have a mojito or glass of wine when can over the 4 days, it will just be me and my 22 yr old daughter on a caribbean island...ahhhh.:glasses:
    I don't know why but I keep forgetting that working out more will help you lose the extra calories you consume. I think I have become so used to my stubborn body that prior to this weight loss effort I had given up hope that my body would respond to regular calorie reduction w/exercise. In all honesty I also think my hormones were so out of whack for 6 years of menopause (arghhhhh!!!) that now at 58 I am post menopause and seem to have my body more responsive again....I hope.