what is your favorite bread/wrap to make lunch sandwiches?

Options
Hi all, I usually use Double fiber/low cal bread (i think its Nutrigrain?) but haven't had sandwiches in a while since I get sick of them - anyone have a favorite wrap or bread for sandwiches that tastes good and is filling without being too high cal? So many choices of bread, sandwich thins, flat breads...

(And if you have recs for amazing non-seafood sandwich fillings that would be good too!)

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I like a lot of the Trader Joe's breads and also the La Tortilla Factory - Low Carb/High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas. In fact, I had both at some point today. For my afternoon snack, the tortilla was filled with a mix of pumpkin puree and peanut butter, topped with half a banana and rolled. It's delicious! For lunch, one slice of bread was toasted then topped with cheese and two egg whites with baby spinach.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Second the low-carb wraps. There's lots of brands of these that work quite well. But, you have to look carefully, some are VERY high calorie.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I've seen La Tortilla brand at regular grocery stores, right? And any specific breads at TJ's?
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am really starting to like the Sarah Lee 100% Whole Wheat with honey bread. They are only 45 calories per slice which is lower than a lot of the whole wheat bread that is out there. It's nice because it has a bit of sweetness from the honey which gives the sandwich a little something extra.
  • jenny3073
    jenny3073 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I like Sara Lee country whole grain white. Healthy? I don't think it's the best choice health wise, but I've read that whole grain white is just as healthy as whole wheat, and for me who loves white bread, it's a good alternative. I usually have 2 slices per day, 240 cal, 10g sug, 3g fat, and well there's 460g sodium which scares me a bit! I'm going to look for lower sodium bread or just cut down to 1 slice per day. These slices are a little bigger so half a sandwich instead of a whole one wouldn't feel like too much of a compromise.
  • lms4310
    Options
    I love La Banderita Low Card soft taco wrap.. its 81 calories and delicious. I get it at the Stop n shop grocery store which is also called Giant in some states.
  • ksyp92
    ksyp92 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    joesphs flax seed wraps! they make pitas as well. low in carbs and high in protein and fiber. i usually get mine at BJs
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I been using La Tortilla Factory low carb fiber. I love the taste of them. I been buying Safeway brand whole grain. Only cost $1.99 and 90 cal a slice.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Mountain bread, Its only 68cal per wrap use it for heaps of things like pizza bases and chips etc
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel 4:9 (low sodium version), found in the freezer section
    Sprouted and ground 100% whole grain bread.

Contains no flour. Toasted, it tastes kinda nutty. Low for bread on the glycemic index. 80 cal. 15 carbs. 3 fiber. 4 protein.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I like Ezekiel too but I love everything bagels from Zuckers in NYC! I cut them then take all the soft bread from the middle and throw it out, then I toast em, then fill with whitefish salad!!!!! Mmmmmmmm!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Joseph's bakery lavash. 100 calories, 10g protein, 8g net carbs, and delicious.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    joesphs flax seed wraps! they make pitas as well. low in carbs and high in protein and fiber. i usually get mine at BJs
    Yeah, this one.
  • myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I love the whole wheat sandwich rounds...100 calories
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Flatout wraps light -9 gr protein 9 gm fiber 90 cals :love:
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    At TJ's I love the California Complete Protein bread. I think it's 80-90 cal a slice. Also from Sprout's I like the Omega-3 bread or the Oat Bran which are 65/60 calories. Sandwiches are great, PBJ is classic but I love any type of meat/cheese combo or sub out cheese for some avocado.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, so many great recs here!
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've been using rye bread most of the time, but there is a flat bread called flat out that's about 90 calories.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    For sandwiches, I like Orowheat Thins, 100 calories. I love a sandwich with Boars Head buffalo chicken.

My favorite breakfast is a honey wheat Western Bagel with almond butter and honey.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Dave's Killer Bread! It's the BEST bread in the whole freaking universe. <3