Need some weight lose advice.

Options
Hi. My name is Vikki and I am 47 years old. I have been trying to lose weight for over a year with no success. Six months ago my doctor ran blood work that showed I was pre-diabetic; however he followed that up with, “but your sugar isn’t very high so with diet changes you could get that under control.” Since then I have changed my diet and stuck to strict exercising of 3 days a week on an elliptical trainer for 30 minutes in addition to other random exercises. It took me 6 months and I only lost 5 pounds, plus my sugar did not go down:sad: . December 17th I got so frustrated that I kicked up my exercise to 6 times a week (30 minutes elliptical and treadmill), added a personal trainer 3 days a week, tweaked my diet some more and reduced my calories down to a very strict 1200. As of 11 February, I have lost NO weight! In fact twice I gained 4 pounds, probably water weight, and lost it again.

All of my research shows that this is pre-menopause related and NOT pre-diabetic related. According to some websites, with the loss of estrogen your body holds on to fat as a source. Needless to say I’m not a happy camper! Is there anyone out there that has had a similar problem and what have you done/taken to help resolve it? I am not looking for hormone replacement therapy as it has too many side effects and this is the only symptom of menopause I have. Just my luck! :mad:

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If it really is hormonal, a lower carb diet may help. I find the South Beach to be reasonable and it has had clinical success for per diabetes/ metabolic syndrome/ whatever the kids are calling it these days. Just don't buy all the branded junk. Most of it isn't even appropriate to the guidelines!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Open your diary so people can help. 1200 sounds low with exercise.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was exercising 6 days a week on 1200 calories and lost nothing. I bumped up my calories to 1400 and scaled back my exercising to 4 days a week and added weight lifting, and the pounds have been melting off. So I suggest you eat more, your body need the fuel, you need to eat back your exercise calories and maybe try some weight lifting
  • samianneB
    samianneB Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    with all the exercise aren't you at least fitter and more toned, and generally feel better in yourself??
    you may not have needed to lose but tone up, try upping your protein intake and lower your carbs it might help, with all the exercise your now getting if not ask your PT for tips its what they are there for not just shouting at you to move your %!$£
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, we'll be able to help you more!
  • squirtgunsablzn
    Options
    try to mix up your training calculate your tdde weight train 3 days a week and do 20 mins cardio 3 days a week. only subtract a small deficit from your tdde around 10-20 percent. also i second the low carb thing. check into ketogenics.
  • getup25
    getup25 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and know how you feel. I had problems losing as well until I tried the 17 day diet. It's low carb. I'm not following it a strictly right now, but I am doing a low carb on MFP. I do low carb for a bit then a couple of days with carbs and then back down again. I have oatmeal as a carb. You can change your percentages here on how much protein, fat and carbs you want. I do 50% (protein) and fat and carbs each 25%. You have to eat at least 1200 calories, more when you work out. Preplan your meals for the day and make adjustments where needed. It can be done! Good luck.
  • FoxDaemon
    Options
    Watch yourself on exercising too much.

For your weight loss, with all the exercise you're doing, you must remember that you're also gaining muscle mass while losing fat. Make sure that your diet is higher in protein than normal as well. That's what your muscles are going to need to replenish and rebuild.

As some others have suggested, go down in carbohydrates. I do 1200 calories a day as well with 30-40 grams of that being carbs. The rest is higher proteins and low to mid fats. The biggest thing you're gonna have to worry about are those carbs. And since you're in this place now, make sure to take advantage of the meal tracking. Make sure you're only doing 1200 if that's what you're aiming for. I do want to emphasize that I and others are saying 'lower carb diet' and not 'no carbs.' Make sure you're not pushing your body too hard and consuming more energy than your daily intake has to spare. Once you hit that sweet spot, your weight will come down. Water weight is about 5-10 pounds for most, don't focus on that. If you've got more questions, just toss it on in. I can't promise to check every instant, but I'll try to be around here.
  • sunrunner_no1
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. My carbs are actually lower than the reccommended amount regularly. As for the calories, I really don't always eat the 1200. I get side tracked. As for if my body is changing as a result of exercise, that's a no. The only thing that has changes is an inch in my waist, the rest has stayed the same. My PT seems to be a little boggled too.
  • sunrunner_no1
    Options
    How do I open up my diary?
  • FoxDaemon
    Options
    You need to maintain a minimum amount of calories per day. Too little, and you're still starving yourself. If you have to, stock up on a few protein shakes, or juices just to give yourself a boost if you find yourself falling behind. You're going to want to have a total net count of 900 to 1,200 calories overall. This also includes the exercise you do during the week.

For your diary:

My Home --> Settings --> Diary Settings

Or you can try this link, which I believe is default for everyone:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • tarahs
    tarahs Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Go to settings and click on diary settings...:smile:
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    More calories, More calories, More calories

I can't stress this enough

What are your stats??
    Current weight
    height??

do not listen to the person who is advising you to net 900 to 1200 cals you should be netting more than 1200
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and menopaused early, I've been done for a year now. I had the exact same problem and pre-diabetes diagnosis from the doctor. It was pre-menopause, I am convinced of it. The best thing I did was to continue to exercise and watch my diet because now that I'm post menopause I am loosing again. I did gain 40lbs but it could have been so so much worse if I hadn't been paying attention.

I would also suggest that you eat more calories, I am 5'3 and consume about 1400 calories a day.
  • FoxDaemon
    Options
    I am not saying only 1200 calories. I'm saying that

[Calories consumed] - [Calories Burned/Exercise] = ~1200

That is definitely plenty to have.
  • goldied01
    goldied01 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Did the Doctor say anything about your Thyroid? Had that problem and once I got it under control was able to lose some weight. Just a suggestion.
  • lisa483
    Options
    I am not saying only 1200 calories. I'm saying that

[Calories consumed] - [Calories Burned/Exercise] = ~1200

That is definitely plenty to have.

She should be netting more than her BMR for a healthy sustainable weightloss

I'm pretty sure her BMR is more than 1200
  • sunrunner_no1
    Options
    The doctor tested my Thyroid 3 times in the last 12 months with the same result, nothings wrong and "oh by the way, your sugar is a little high."

As for the calories, I was taking in between 1200 and 1500 but the doctor told me to limit it to no more than 1200 and count, count, count. He said that is the only thing that works for "women my age." At this point my response to him is BULL $h*!
  • lisa483
    Options
    The doctor tested my Thyroid 3 times in the last 12 months with the same result, nothings wrong and "oh by the way, your sugar is a little high."

As for the calories, I was taking in between 1200 and 1500 but the doctor told me to limit it to no more than 1200 and count, count, count. He said that is the only thing that works for "women my age." At this point my response to him is BULL $h*!

I agree utter Bullcrap!!!

Up your calories and see how you go work out what your BMR is and eat above

Good luck
  • sunrunner_no1
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I got some good advice and my friend who is a Medical Writer gave me a lot of information about pre-menopause that COULD be the cultrate. I will make sure I get in a minimum of 1200 calories and I will sit in my doctor’s office until he concedes to test my hormone levels. I'll keep you posted.