Low Calorie Salad dressing

Options

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I don't like the way "lite" or low-fat dressings taste - kinda artificial to me. My favorite dressing (currently) is HEB Creamy Garlic Caesar dressing - so thick and tasty. I just cut it 50/50 with fat free milk. Basically cuts to calorie count in half; it's a bit thinner but it tastes "real". 2 TBSP = 74 cal
  • WEB3
    WEB3 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try the "dip your fork first" trick.
    I have been using only 1tbs of Kraft Asian Sesame at 60cals. It has such a strong flavor that 1tbs goes far.
    Getting tired of my usual fave, 40cal per tbs, Roasted Red Pepper Parmesan from Kraft.
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I put lemon juice or balsamic vinegar on my salads that usually contain fats from avocados, nuts and sometimes cheese. I used to just automatically slather on oily or creamy dressings, and that can really kill the benefits of an otherwise healthy salad. Once I understood that, I changed to lighter options that I like just as much.
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I mix a little greek yogurt with a few dustings if a hidden valley ranch packet. You could add milk to make it creamier but I usually don't. It's super good.
  • davidrip1
    davidrip1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Most low fat dressings are made that way by making water the first ingrediant. They are just deluted. Low fat bread is created by making the slices thinner.
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    I make my own vinegrette. In a jar with a lid I add 2 parts vinegar to one part olive oil and shake until its frothy. I mix up the type of vinegar; sometimes rice wine vinegar, sometime balsamic, sometimes apple cider. It just depends on my mood. I like to add interesting flavors like: a little chopped garlic, a tablespoon of dijon mustard, a little squirt of lemon or orange, some chopped capers or sun dried tomatoes or greek olives, and/or whatever herbs I have on hand. It always comes out different and its always delicious. You can control the sodium and there are no weird preservatives in it. It lasts forever in the fridge and tastes a thousand times better than store bought dressings!
  • lorinbc
    lorinbc Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Just put your salad in a large ziplock bag along with your dressing eg: 1 tbsp of any kind and give the bag a good mix. The dressing will then be all over your salad with out the puddle at the bottom of your bowl. Works for me.
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I found a table spoon of sweet relish on a salad works wonders too.
    I like the fat free kraft Italian. 15 calories for 2 table spoons.
  • RockKelly
    RockKelly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How about this? I've tried the Creamy Italian and it tastes pretty good.

Walden Farms Calorie Free Salad Dressings.
    http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/dressings.html
    I have tried the French, Honey Dijon and Bacon Ranch. I thought the French and Honey Dijon were pretty good. The Bacon Ranch..not so much. I also tried the Walden Farms Peanut Spread...NASTY is the only word I can come up with for that one.
  • RockKelly
    RockKelly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
    1/2 Tbsp of Fresh Lemon Juice
    1/2 Tsp of minced garlic
    Salt and Pepper to taste.

Sometimes I add a little more lemon juice...just depends on the day :)

Coat salad in a ziplock bag...pour and enjoy!
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... The salsa addition to a salad doesnt really mix with my tastebuds. The apple idea sounds interesting but also too dry.

I like all the creative ways people try to better their meals.

If i'm trying to save calories with my salad dressing I just do one serving spict brown mustard, a splash of white vinegar, and a packet of equal. It is sweet and tart at the same time and only 10 calories.

I LOVE this idea and I cannot wait to try it . . . thanks! :)
  • Melissakay1222
    Melissakay1222 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Maple Grove Farms of Vermont "Sugar Free" dressings. (Red Shrink Wrap) on the cap. They are good, and super low in calorie. 5 calories per 2 tsp or it might be table spoon, but it makes no difference, it's the lowest cal dressing I have ever found and it is actually really good.

I LOVE Maple Grove Farms of Vermont salad dressings! Great variety and the the lowest calorie dressings I can find!!! :)
  • ldbuster0
    Options
    I will try some of these ideas.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I love to use use balsamic glaze and wheat germ oil--it is amazingly delicious.
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Helpful thread. Going to have to try some of these out.
  • SnazzyPeg
    SnazzyPeg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here! I will have to try some too.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    We have a store that sells all different flavors of oils and balsamic vinegar's. I found a balsamic that is Cranberry / Pear. It's so good that most of the time I just use it, not mixed with anything else.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinagrette with Gorgonzola is delicious! 45 calories for 2TBL.
  • sclegg86
    Options
    Try this very simple ceaser salad dressing quick, easy and tastes great.
    2 tbsp 97% fat free mayo
    1 tsp golden syrup
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    Lemon juice to taste.
  • sclegg86
    Options
    Try this very simple ceaser salad dressing quick, easy and tastes great. This is to serve four people!
    2 tbsp 97% fat free mayo
    1 tsp golden syrup
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    Lemon juice to taste.