Scale obsession.

Options
Hey everyone,

I find myself becoming obsessed with the scale. I am constantly weight myself everyday (sometimes twice) for progress. I need advice on how to overcome this. Did you go through similar issues and how did you deal with it.

Thanks in advance,

Replies

• amyncrook
    Options
    I was doing the same thing and getting so discouraged. I made my husband put the scale away and only get it out for me once a week. I also started measuring instead of weighing. I have been losing inches instead of pounds and liking it better!
  • rumplesnat
    Options
    Gave it to my husband to keep in the trunk of his car.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm def going through this now as well. The only time I won't weigh myself is when I kno I had a bad food day the day before and I kno the number on the scale won't be wat I like. I just started my weightloss so I am obsessed with seeing changes on the scale and I also kno this is part of the problem that I'm having.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    If you weigh that often you won't see any progress. You'll only see weight fluctuations which will likely make you miserable and more likely make you quit altogether because the numbers your seeing aren't adding up.

Lose the scale or you'll lose motivation.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
  • Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    You have to tell yourself that watching the scale every day is like watching water boil. Actually, its worse, because water being boiled doesn't heat up, then cool down, then stop, then heat up. Our weight fluctuates constantly.

If you realize that the scale is only accurate with respect to spotting trends over periods of time, then you'll see the pointlessness of continually looking at it.

Constantly looking at the scale suggests that you haven't internalized the reality of weight loss as a slow, long-term process.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Don't do it...walk away...

thats-just-like-your-opinion-man.gif
  • ashleey1000
    Options
    If you weigh that often you won't see any progress. You'll only see weight fluctuations which will likely make you miserable and more likely make you quit altogether because the numbers your seeing aren't adding up.

Lose the scale or you'll lose motivation.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Makes perfect perfect sense!!
  • scrapscot
    scrapscot Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem. I'm trying to overcome it. I have to force myself to get dressed immediately after showering so I won't get on it. I managed to stay off yesterday, but succumbed to it today. My weigh in day is Tuesday, so I need to stay off till then. The fluctuations discourage me, so I know it's better to not cave in to it.
  • ashleey1000
    Options
    I'm gonna try n weigh myself once a week and not once a day. And take the scale outta my room!!
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Throw the scale OUT!
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If you can't leave the scale alone, you might want to invest in the Aria by FitBit. Yes, it still gives you the instant feedback, be it good or well, not so good, but it links wirelessly to your PC, laptop, etc. Now get the Trend Weight app (freebie). This app logs your weight but sets a trend based on where you are and your goal. I don't worry about daily flucations as long as the trend is headed in the right direction
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of getting ride of the scale. Not weighing myself is the best thing I have ever done. Life goes on, even when you don't know if you've mysteriously gained half a pound overnight.

Besides, if I'm exercising daily and tracking my calories, what more can I do? If I'm really interested in progress, I'll pull out a tape measure- but I can see progress when I can do workouts that were once a struggle and hold strength poses longer than I could a month ago.
  • MJH2
    MJH2 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband had to throw the sale out the window, literally, with me crying on the floor of the bathroom about 100lbs ago. Now, I only weigh myself once a week and focus more on inches lost and how I feel. Learn from this reformed "scale psycho", weigh yourself only once a week and focus on how much better you feel.
  • EricCowperthwaite
    Options
    I haven't weighed myself in nearly 3 weeks because I was getting scale obsessed. Instead, I have focused on the things I know are healthy. I eat right, I exercise, I get 7-8 hours of sleep a night, I play with my kids and my dog. I can see and feel the differences. My clothes fit looser, my tummy is smaller, I have more energy, I smile more.

Ditch the scale, focus on a healthy lifestyle. It will work.
  • MuslimahTiana
    Options
    i do this now! i weigh everyday but it depends on your mindset whether this okay to do or not. For example before when i put all my work into the number i would get discouraged now that i understand that certain things i eat the day before or certain times that I weigh play a factor in it, i don't let it bother me. I my weight fluctuates 2 pounds up and down, but the only number i record is the final weigh in which is every tuesday! The scale is not only measuring weight, it is also measuring water, etc. so If i were you i would take a break from the scale, and go by how your body feels, and looks, even get a measuring tape! Also i think it's important to note that i look at my body i can tell i lost more inches than i did weight, i can't even believe it, so if you know you are working hard and you haven't been messing up, then you know that the scale could be showing anything it doesn't necessarily mean you have truly gained! insha'allah ditch the scale for a while and come back to it later, this is what i do from time to time as well :)
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I went through the saaaame thing... Now i weigh myself about once a week, if even.

I think i just started to believe everyone when they said that the scale lies... Just slowly try to not weigh yourself! Only allow it every other morning or something, and then every couple days and so on.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I did it, too. Take it to your mom's house. Tell her to lock it in her garage and not to give it to you for a month. Take measurements. They're more accurate.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Maybe throw out the scale and only check your weight at the gym.

Checking every day is pointless, your weight fluctuates so much just in one day. You only want to see an overall downward trend, and you're not going to get the true picture of that for many weeks. I weight once a week, but you can go even less. What counts much more than pounds are inches.
  • mag2906
    mag2906 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I do weigh daily but I only record my lowest weight. I may go for several days (sometimes even few weeks) going up and down and then on x day get to my lowest weight ever - and that's what I record.

The problem is not that you weigh daily, the problem is to expect weight to be lower every time you do this.
  • AminabintSaid
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.