How to exercise after a back injury

Options
Hi, I recently had an automobile accident and I am off work and can't exercise yet. I am going to start physical therapy next week but even though I am watching my calories my weight is starting to go up a little because all I am doing is sitting or lying around taking pain pills and muscles relaxers. I don't want this lifestye, but I am not able to go hiking, bike riding, gardening or any of the things I just love to do in the springtime. In suggestions or words of advise or inspiration. I hope that I can get better soon and that I won't have to have back surgery. My MRI looks pretty bad but I am hoping to be able to return to an active lifestyle. What to do in the meantime. I am so close to my goal weight and have worked so hard to get here I don't want to go backwards. Help!!!

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating less to make up for your forced inactivity? I would ask your physical therapist next week what types of things you can safely do. I hope you get to feeling better and back to your normal life as soon as possible! :flowerforyou:
  • ntsmomma1
    ntsmomma1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    well the physical therapy will burn calories too...you can always work out your arms with books or hand weights or anything you can find....you can always as your physical therapist what they think you will be able to do as a workout without pain, or little pain.....hope it helps!
  • savannah63
    savannah63 Posts: 15
    Options
    I would definitly ask the therapist for advice on this one! Are you able to just walk some ...or maybe do some water arobics? Your therapist should have some info for your specific back injury..if they know their stuff! Good luck!!!:wink:
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Coming from experience (I had a back injury from a car accident in 2003) the worst thing for a back injury is to be inactive. Keep moving! Walk a lot as that is actually one of the best things for a bad back, certainly don't do any great speeds but walk, walk, walk. It is a good idea to warm up the area before you start with either a hot shower, or a heating pad as this helps relax all those tense muscles from your injury. Swimming is also excellent as it puts no pressure on your spine, I still do this a few times per week for an hour as I love it!
    Good luck in your recovery!
  • beckn
    beckn Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks, those are all great ideas, today was the first day I felt like I was able to do more than just some stretching. I have neck and back whiplash. I start physical therapy next week, but i will do a little walking to start out, maybe try the therapy pool at the gym. It has been a week since the last accident and I am feeling so much better. I am not as stiff and have better range of motion. I have cut back somewhat on my calories, trying to keep the protein up for healing. thanks for all the positive feedback.:flowerforyou:
  • ekrueger002
    ekrueger002 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am totally with you on this one. I have been in 2 car accidents over the past 3 yrs resulting in 2 back surgeries. I have been in a constant state of physical therapy since Dec 2006. I gained 50lbs from not being able to exercise, pain killers, steroids, nerve blockers, etc.....Enough of my sob story.......All is not lost :-)

The good news is it will get better if you want it to! I am 6 months out from my last surgery and have dropped over 40 lbs with diet and exercise. Pilates has become my best friend :-) the strength and tone it provides my core (stomach, back) has significantly increased my ability to cope with the chronic back and leg pain.

Not going to sugar coat it. In order to truly feel better you will have to stretch and strengthen. It will hurt worse before it gets better. Push through and you will see results. You can win!

If you are feeling down on it and need some encouragement send me a note.....I have had 4 years of back injury stuff and will give you my honest, humble opinion on what hurts and works....and what just hurts.

Best of luck to you!