New to the group + Calorie question

Options
Hello everyone :)

I recently decided to make some positive changes in my life for my birthday. I quit smoking (2 weeks so far) and have lost 5 pounds. However, the past week I have been unable to loss at all (following the same plan that helped me loss the 5 pounds). Is it necessary to consume a minimum of 1,200 calorie a day ? Every since I started I am roughly under 1,000 (mainly between 800-900) calories a day. Please give me any tips (food, exercise and/or motivation) that have worked for you.

I'm 5'6 and now 269.

I look forward to interact with you'll.

Replies

• ISABELCOADY55
    ISABELCOADY55 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know of quite a few people who have gained weight due to quitting smoking, so maybe that has counterbalanced your weight loss from dieting? That pretty much just a guess though...

Congrats on your 2 weeks smoke free!! :)
  • inquisitivewings
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Textmessage
    Textmessage Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You could be experiencing water weight fluctuation. Also, I think you should read a bit more about how many cals you're eating. Try this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Excellent changes! Congrats!
  • pegasus925
    pegasus925 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    In a health magazine I got, it actually talked about smoking and how it increased metabolism. it was like a pro-smoking article for losing weight. Unbeleivable. It wasn't even an advertsiement. SHM....... so your metalobilsm is probably freaking and used to the rush of the smoke/

Also don't fo under 1200 calories without seeing a doctor. It's unhealthy and unstainable. Gatric bypass and lap band pateints do 800-1000 calories because they need a special diet and it's monitored by a doctor. Sometimes vitamin B shots are given.
  • wease1204
    wease1204 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    its necessary to eat more than 1200 calories in a day because if you eat less than this, your body goes into starvation mode and begins to store fat instead of burning it. Have a look at the BMR calculator on MFP to gauge how much you should actually be eating simply to stay alive. I wouldn't recommend going below this amount. Please don't starve yourself as it will have negative effects on your body not only now, but down the track! I would recommend eating every 3 hours (6 times a day) to keep your metabolism in peak mode. Eating small low fat snacks will keep you from feeling hungry all the time and keep your body burning fat. An example of a perfect snack for mid-morning or afternoon for me is: 150g tub-set no fat yoghurt, 1/2 a banana and a 20g scoop of untoasted low fat muesli. It works out to be about 200 calories and is very filling and yummy!

I hope this helps. Add me if you'd like more tips and examples of good things to eat :-) I would love to help you out
  • Grdnnut
    Options
    My dietitian and my trainer both told me that my daily calories and my activity have to match. When you put your exercise into the my fitness app it adds the cal you burn to your daily..in other words your eat your workout. If you do that you will lose. I would say the issue has more to do with the fact that when you start a diet you will lose more in the first few weeks then the weight loss will slow down. I have been eating all (or almost all) my calories since I started recording on my fitness pal and it is working for me.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I defiintely gained after quitting smoking, but I was losing again within a month or so. Meet your calories, and stick with it!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You could be experiencing water weight fluctuation. Also, I think you should read a bit more about how many cals you're eating. Try this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This ^^^^

You can severely damage your body's ability to fnction properly if you eat below your BMR for an extended period of time (lose lean body mass instead of fat, for example)
  • mrshill2007
    mrshill2007 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello, we are almost the same size and I think you are eating way low for your calorie intake.. I am @ 1860 cals a day... How much are you trying to lose a week?