Smart People Wanted! BMR/TDEE

Options
Hi!

The other day I posted about not being able to lose any weight all of a sudden. I've lost 12 so far and it's already been pretty slow.. I think it was in about 5 months, but I haven't seen any weight loss now for a month or so. I am stuck at 135 lbs. I am 5'5" and will be 25 in a month.

With that being said, I took advice and I did some smart girl research :wink: and figured out my BMR and TDEE. I understand the difference between them and everything.. but I still have some questions.

1. Where can I find the most accurate BMR calculator? I just typed in BMR and up popped a bunch of websites giving me my BMR and they don't match. One was as high as 1430, and one was as low as 1350. I think that is a pretty big difference.
2. As long as I am under my TDEE and above my BMR will I see weight loss again?
3. Was the problem just that 1200 calories was not enough for me?
4. How often do you suggest updating my TDEE and BMR numbers? Like do I need to change them every day depending on how active I am or can I just change them every time I lose 1 lb?
5. I only changed the amount of calories in my goals section.. is that all I needed to do?

I now have myself at 1450 calories.

Anyone want to do the math for me and make sure I'm not fudging this up more? :blushing:

Replies

• Helen_Luvnlife
    Helen_Luvnlife Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I found a great ap if you have a smart phone. It called Fitter fitness calculator. There may be others available. It has you measure more than height and weight and recalculates our bmi and tdee as your weight changes.
  • katiepbee
    katiepbee Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmm ok, I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • childrenrus
    childrenrus Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find the app on my android phone!
  • floopysandi
    floopysandi Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The one most people seem to recommend (has numerous types of calcuations (some require knowing other things like percentage of body fat.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

This is the youtube channel for the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group with FAQs that answer most of what you are asking.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EatMore2WeighLess?feature=mhee

Hope this helps (I'm a noob at this too, but at TDEE - 15% I am starting to see a loss again after plateauing at low cals. ) Also, if you are doing any strength training, you will probably need to seriously up the protein in your diet.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If you are below your TDEE you will lose weight. The calculators are different as some will use BF% and others will not. I would take the one that you put your BF% in, or if not, take the average. They are only estimates and use averages.

How accurately are you hitting your target cals and are you weighing, measuring and logging all your food?

Also, how long have you been on a calorie deficit for?
  • rgoo242
    Options
    what is the difference in DEE and TDEE?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    what is the difference in DEE and TDEE?

Where are you getting DEE from?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Because 135 is fairly low weight, I am assuming you have 20 or fewer pounds to lose.

Based on that, I think 1450 is a good number for you. I ran your numbers and came up with 1633 for your TDEE, and you should be eating 10-15% below that, since you only have a few lbs to go.

Recalculate BMR/TDEE every 5-10 lbs or so.

Yes, 1200 cals was too low for you.

And yes, changing the number of calories in your goals was all you needed to do. Give it a month and see how it goes.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Because 135 is fairly low weight, I am assuming you have 20 or fewer pounds to lose.

Based on that, I think 1450 is a good number for you. I ran your numbers and came up with 1633 for your TDEE, and you should be eating 10-15% below that, since you only have a few lbs to go.

Recalculate BMR/TDEE every 5-10 lbs or so.

Yes, 1200 cals was too low for you.

And yes, changing the number of calories in your goals was all you needed to do. Give it a month and see how it goes.

Yup. ^^^ This.