8 cups of water per day?

Options
i have read that a person should drink 8 cups of water per day, but that seems like so much! i usually only drink 2 cups. i just don't get thirsty! how can i force myself to drink more? how much water do you guys drink per day?

Replies

• sabichu
    Options
    8-12 cups. Sometimes even 14 cups. Trust me, the more you drink, the more thirsty you get. And your body needs the hydration. You'll see the condition of your skin improve lots too!
  • mrfrodogetdown
    mrfrodogetdown Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just do it.

I didn't like to drink water, and would only drink a glass or two a day.

Lately I've been doing the 8 cups and feel great. There is no secret. Just make yourself do it. Always having it on hand helps!
  • nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Set a reminder on your phone or set a goal for yourself like every time you answer an email at work, you take a drink.
    I truly NEVER drank anything but coffee and sometimes iced tea but now I drink water all day and just 1-2 cups of coffee. I feel so much better and my skin is so happy!
    It takes some concentration and training but you can do it! Carrying a water bottle with me helps!
  • lauradawson1123
    Options
    I usually drink about 1500ml of water and 480ml of coffee a day. I know even I should up the water a bit. You really should drink more. Try setting small goals to up it, like 3 cups a day for a few days then 4 cups and so on. Also get a reusable water bottle and take small sips through the day.
  • Raybug0903
    Raybug0903 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising at all? I find I get most of my water in during and after I exercise as it makes me so thirsty. The rest just follows with meals and I don't measure it exactly, but I estimate and know that I am getting enough.
  • WFBspantran
    WFBspantran Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I aim for a minimum of 3 liters or about 12-13 cups of water a day. I just keep a liter bottle with me at all times at home and work and when my eye catches it, I take a large drink regardless of whether or not I am thirsty.
  • SassySarah83
    SassySarah83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to drink about that much, but I maybe get through 5 a day.. It IS good for you to drink that much. But not many people can drink that much, if you can get through 5 glasses a day then i think you are golden! :happy:
  • violenceandlace
    Options
    I can only do it with bottles of water. I get two of the one liter bottles of SmartWater in the morning. I try to do one and a half by the time I'm done with work and then the other half when I get home for the night.

I also found it helps to keep a small glass in the bathroom - every time you pee, drink a small glass of water before you leave.

I feel so much better when I'm hydrated - it's real rough the first week or so when I have to pee all the time but after about a week, not so much.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I always used to think this, but when I go to the gym I drink 2-3 bottles of water easily >.<
  • jaynalawayna
    jaynalawayna Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When you are thirsty your body is telling you that it is already dehydrated. I've heard from others that have had success with weight loss that the body responds the same way whether it is hungry or thirsty - so try to drink a glass of water if you are feeling hungry and wait another five minutes before having that bite to eat
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just stay hydrated. If you aren't thirsty, you don't need to drink. The "8 cups" thing is completely arbitrary and has no real basis in fact or science. Some people may need 10 cups, other people may only need 3. It depends on where you live, how active you are, diet (food can contain a lot of water, it's possible to get all your hydration just from food,) and what else you may drink during the day (coffee, tea, milk, juice, soda, etc. all count toward hydration.)
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    The issue for me used to be portability. How am I going to drink when I am out and about? I solved this by purchasing a camelbak bottle from amazon. Easy to drink out of when you're doing other things thanks to the bite straw, and doesn't spill anywhere.

And as someone else mentioned, the more you drink the more your body will start to crave water. I used to drink maybe a glass or two a day (and otherwise just drank diet soda), but now I drink 3 or 4 liters through most days.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Your body needs the hydration so at first you need to just force yourself .. eventually it'll be second nature.
  • Biitchstix
    Options
    I'm always thirsty so 8 glasses is easy for me, but when I went in for the training program at my agency they told me I need to be drinking not 8 but 12 cups per day which is a little trickier. To keep track of it I just get a 1 liter bottle and make sure to finish 3 of those per day (plus I drink about 3 cups of green tea lol).

Pro tip: make yourself finish off half a bottle before each meal, it'll give you motivation and speed up your metabolism as well.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um, no, water does not speed up your metabolism.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that fruits and veggies will contribute to your water intake. Apples, pears, strawberries,tomatoes...

If it helps my goal is a half to 1 cup of water per hour and I tally it up from there
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Actually...there is no scientific proof that a person needs 8 cups of WATER a day. There is proof of you needing at least 8 cups of fluids a day. The 8 by 8 started out when all the scientists and doctors decided how much fluids a person needs on a day to day basis. As long as you are getting 8 cups of healthy fluids in you, then you are fine.

For all of those who are going to try and fight me on this here are reference to support the above:

Snopes: http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    CBC: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
    Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
    Scientific American: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=eight-glasses-water-per-day
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    8-12 cups. Sometimes even 14 cups. Trust me, the more you drink, the more thirsty you get. And your body needs the hydration. You'll see the condition of your skin improve lots too!

This...seriously use to hate water...now, the more I drink the more I crave!
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that fresh foods contain significant amounts of water. Majority of weight in fruits and veges is water
  • JigglyPuff2011
    JigglyPuff2011 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    8 is the min but depending on how over weight you are you should drink more. Their is a formula some where on the net about it I am not sure where but try and Google it.