Help please !

Options
I am trying to find a good place to accurately count my calories. some foods on here through the search are so varing for the same foods. 12 oz sirloin lean should be the same everywhere, but i have looked on line and see so many different ones. I ate at a family restaurant for valentine dinner and trying to log calories tonight is crazy. 12 oz lean steaks are vearing by 300-400 calories from each other. what is correct how do we know which to use and not use? Any recommended sites to confirm calories? thanks

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I choose either the one with the most "confirmations" or the one with the highest calorie count. It really does boil down to just making an educated guess, unfortunately.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I tend to look for items such as meat and vegetables that are not member entered. If you look for the entries without an asterisk those are values from MFP and are usually highly rated.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I choose either the one with the most "confirmations" or the one with the highest calorie count. It really does boil down to just making an educated guess, unfortunately.

I do this, too. Whichever one has the most confirmations.
    It baffles me how a gazillion people have entered "egg, fried in Pam spray" in the database.
    I just needed one fried egg.
    Just.
    One.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    When I have a doubt I go to livestrong and it seems to be accurate.
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    As long as you are using this site for the other categories, use the food count that it gives. Anything to stay consistent, don't you think?
  • JenniJen26
    Options
    Have you tried checking the restaurant's site and menu for the calories they assign to their meals? The calorie counts tend to vary because of the way in which the food is prepared.
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    yes, I have used the restaurants sites when able to , this one is a small town place that we love so and unfotunatley they don't have a nutrition guide. I have asked them if they could maybe work on something like this . Thanks everyone just wanted to know how others are handling this. I guess I am being anal about it, but was trying to be very cautious. learning that somethings i would think is healthier choice than others aren't so healthy . Thanks again , you guys rock :)