High Carb - No Grains

Options
Hi everyone,

Have had a pretty low intake of carbs the last few days and wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions on what to have for dinner that would be high carb but without grains..

Havent had any grains for a few days and its feeling pretty good, so wanted to see what options are out there.

Plate will be loaded with vegies, so something else would be great

Thanks!

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, sweet potatoes, lentils, other beans, fruit
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. Sweet potato covered in sweet potato is probably going to be it!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that. Sweet potato covered in sweet potato is probably going to be it!

I really like sweet potato with a dollop of greek yogurt, some melted coconut oil, and a drizzle of honey.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Any fruit! Mangos are deliciouusssss, and i heard they are a good fat burning fruit.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was going to say sweet potatoes and fruit, but that's already covered.

Baked potatoes are super high in yummy carbs, fiber and vitamin C.
  • ajourney2beme
    ajourney2beme Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are my favorite! I had some sweet potato fries at a restaurant and they drizzled a little bit of honey over them and some cinnamon. The cinnamon was weird at first but then the honey would bring it back to delicious. I love them this way now!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries. Hell freaking yes. Normal potatoes are great, too, but need something to flavour them - salt is quite nice.

Or some white rice, if you like that - I'm assuming your avoiding grains for the gluten issues, so white rice would be fine.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes are my favorite! I had some sweet potato fries at a restaurant and they drizzled a little bit of honey over them and some cinnamon. The cinnamon was weird at first but then the honey would bring it back to delicious. I love them this way now!

Even white potatoes are much maligned. They are an excellent source of fiber (I buy organic russets so that I can eat the skin for extra fiber and goodness) and many other nutrients. One of my favorite meals is a wonderful baked potato (and I'm old fashioned, I like to roast them in the oven instead of the microwave) smothered in high-fat cottage cheese with chives on top. Did you know that dairy and potatoes together would sustain you for a long time? The nutrition is a complete nutrition in terms of vitamins, minerals, protein, etc. That's why the Irish potato famine was such a disaster for them---they were used to subsisting on dairy and potatoes.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I limit wheat due to gluten sensitivity. Sweet potato is also my favorite. Also really like grits as a side (not just a southern breakfast food). I like to add milled flax since grits don't have much fiber. A little bit of you favorite cheese will really dress them up. I'm originally from Pittsburgh, PA, but have lived in South Carolina for 25 years, so I like some of the traditionally southern foods. Other good starches would include English peas, black eyed peas, and corn. I have never really figured out if corn is classified as a grain or not. It seems to depend on who is writing about it. Bananas are a great carb. They have resistant starch, so even though high in sugar, the resistant starch counteracts that. Maybe adding some seeds and nuts to your recipes would add some good carbs and good fats. Just not too many.

Can I ask why you are avoiding grain? Certain grains are quite good for you if eaten as a whole grain. I would not avoid wheat if it were not for the negative consequences that I experience after eating it. I still eat limited amounts of rye and barley, brown rice, etc. I do agree with limiting highly processed grains like white bread, sugary cereals etc.... Those are just bad for you, IMO.
  • blackgold86
    blackgold86 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Have some sweet potato at home, fries might be the way to go!

Don't have any white rice or potatoes in the house. Have phased it out of my weekly shop for better alternatives..

Not avoiding grains on purpose, just looking for different options to see what works for us.

Cant get grits in Australia.... Might have some polenta!
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help!

Have some sweet potato at home, fries might be the way to go!

Don't have any white rice or potatoes in the house. Have phased it out of my weekly shop for better alternatives..

Not avoiding grains on purpose, just looking for different options to see what works for us.

Cant get grits in Australia.... Might have some polenta!

I think I might try some polenta too! Not something I ever thought of. The trick will be finding a traditional corn based one without added wheat. Manufactures can't seem to help adding wheat to everything in the US. We found a great brown rice blend at a local asian food store that had wild rice, brown rice, barley and some other really nice whole grains. Takes a while to cook, but very tasty with tons of fiber and good stuff. It was really good with sauted mushrooms and onions. See if you can find something like that as a staple for the pantry.