BBQ Foods?

Options
So now the weather is getting warmer BBQ season is here!!

What do you all cook on your BBQs that is nice and healthy?

Any inspiration will do! :)
-x-x-

Replies

• mrsyatesy
    mrsyatesy Posts: 173
    Options
    BBQ salmon - with a marinade of chilli and ginger - yummmmmm
    Also my sister does marinaded prawn kebabs, they are gorgeous too !!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Anything without fish (i'm allergic)? I'm having a bbq with my boyfriend on Wednesday so I also need some healthy ideas :D
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    Options
    chicken kebabs! load them up with loads of vegetables - red peppers, mushrooms, onions - yum!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too! :) My mum just invited us over for a BBQ tomorrow and I'm half drooling half terrified...I always pig out!
  • popplylily
    popplylily Posts: 97
    Options
    however bbq can be great, much better than meal out.. the meat is usually undressed and what is on there will drip off, you can choose lean pieces like chicken, and theres always salad. xx
  • Manuka
    Manuka Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mmmm BBQ! I love chicken and veg kebabs, fish or steak with salad and couscous or new potatoes. Yum!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Turkey burgers are another option too.
    In regards to grilling any kind of kebab and meat, you really need to think seriously about the ingredients of your marinade or bar b q sauce to avoid large quantities of sugars, but really most seafood, chicken and even a small portion steak are all great! Portion control would be my demise :tongue:
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    veggie kebabs,

mushrooms either by themselves or stuffed works well

thin slices of veggies (zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, tomato) in a wrap

and something else is awesome, is bbq'd fruit bananas you do in there skin, but most stone fruit (peaches, even mango's) you can bbq it makes them all caramalised

then there are always salads as people have said...

bbq's are great, they can be really healthy and they can offer food choices for most people regardless of food choices and allergies
  • mitze90
    mitze90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Mmm tuna steaks are great on the BBQ, also prawn skewers, chicken kebabs, chicken drumsticks (70ish calories with no skin off), I'm also a fan of veggie skewers with baby tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, shallots and courgette, mmm drools.
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I stock up on walden farms 0 calorie BBQ Sauce and Mrs Dash Marinades. I only eat chicken and I dont like it grilled that much so I need loads of 0 cal BBQ Sauce.

Make steamed veggie pockets on the grill. You add in salad dressing and seasoning and just grill them in the pocket.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    BBQ's are my downfall! Why is it when you go to a BBQ you can easily eat 4 times the amount of meat and bread you would in a normal meal??

We're very lucky to have a local butcher who does a range of healthy steak burgers, sausages, etc. He also does really good marniated chicken fillets!

If you want to BBQ healthily you really can't go wrong with chicken fillets/skewers or fish (smoked cod fillet is my favourite), but the biggest problem I've noticed at BBQs recently is the coleslaw, etc.
  • p1nkpr1ncess
    p1nkpr1ncess Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming! The fruit on the BBQ idea is amazing - deffinately giving that a try at ours tomorrow!! Do you wrap the fruit in foil before putting on the bbq?

I am loving all the healthy ideas everyone! I am going to have the healthiest BBQ in the country at this rate haha!
    -x-x-
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    marinades chicken, I use the recipe off Old Bay, really good, also I marinade what ever veggies I have in Newman's Italian dressing then rap in foil and put on the grill. Even steaks or pork chop on the grill work. For BBQ sauce I use walden farm hickory smoked BBQ sauce, 0 calories, 0 fat.
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The skewers idea reminded me that at my last BBQ I made a skewer like this:

Chunk of pepper (red/green/yellow), chunk of onion, piece of diced turkey and repeat. I also added some mushrooms in there randomly. I'll be remaking those when I get all the food in.