Help I'm hurting and it never gets better... so confused

Options
Hi, kinda new here but been an athlete my whole life, done lots of workouts and such on organized teams all through high school and college. My question and plea for help is for my problem of my entire body always being sore, fatigued and feeling broken no matter what I do. If I work out, I expect to be muscle sore in the area I dealt with but I wake up in the morning barely able to walk some days and my bones and joints hurt, no matter if I exercised the day before or didn't. I currently dance (teach classes too), play competitive volleyball (indoor and out), skate and do workout DVDs (Mainly Jillian Michaels). I am not really doing that crazy of stuff, just the same stuff every week. However, I just never seem to get stronger and the DVDs don't seem to get easier. An older friend of mine said to just get used to it. I don't want to.... I am only 37! I feel 60. Example: I can get winded climbing my stairs which is ridiculous when I can dance for 2 hours. Any suggestions?

Replies

• shortchange1
    shortchange1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    How often do you take a recovery day? Is this a fairly new thing? Have you dropped your calories significantly?

Have you had a physical recently?

Lots of things can cause what you're experiencing, but as a personal trainer these are the types of questions I'd be asking.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    .... I am only 37! I feel 60. Example: I can get winded climbing my stairs which is ridiculous when I can dance for 2 hours. Any suggestions?
    I'm 60 and feel 37. This isn't normal. You need to see a doctor. Now.
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This isn't normal. You need to see a doctor. Now.

Agreed. Time for a physical.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Looks like youre not eating nearly enough to fuel your workouts. Your body needs fuel to repair itself. I would try upping your calorie intake to 2000 per day and eating 1gram of protein per body weight. As much as you work out you wont need to worry about gaining weight. Youre over working your body and underfeeding it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    i agree that you should seek medical care - but I looked at your diary and you eat less than me and are WAY more active than I am. I eat 1800 a day and workout 3x week with weights. I still lose weight at this level, although it is slow.

You barely ever get over 1300 calories a day. I think you need to eat more. now.
  • ShayCampau
    ShayCampau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with the acheness over the past couple of years. My diet is really good... I have dropped my calories since restarting this again but not crazy. Argh! We don't have health insurance..... So....
  • ShayCampau
    Options
    I guess I don't understand. That is what MFP says to do calorie wise and I have been steadily gaining weight over the last year and a half doing a lot of the same stuff and maybe more while eating more calories. 25 lbs worth. I don't lift weights unless I am using hand weights with a DVD and a lot of my exercise isn't that crazy... dancing works up a sweat but isn't laying on the floor dying at the end of it. Volleyball on the other hand... :P
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to start eating back your exercise calories - you can't get stronger while eating at that much of a deficit! You should be eating until "remaining" is zero.

You are literally wasting away while eating at a huge deficit and eating less the the minimum protein. What weight you have lost so far is probably mostly muscle.

If you have been athletic most of your life, was it pain that made you start slacking and gain weight in the first place? If so, there may be a medical issue. It old be something as simple as a wheat allergy, but you need to find out.
  • sonskyn7
    Options
    I agree with all the above posts, but also you could be lacking in your minerals and vitamins...look at getting a multivit that addresses all vitamins as well as Omega 3 Fats.
  • ShayCampau
    Options
    If I eat back all the exercise calories won't that just get me to zero, no weight loss?

My goal weight is 130 which is good on my 5'4" stocky frame. I have a strong build rather than slender.

I have had pain my whole life from a birth defect so I can pretty much plow through what would make other people cry, not that this is a good thing. I have been pretty active even while gaining the weight. For the past 3 and a half years I have been on a gluten, sugar, GMO, preservative and dairy free diet. I eat honey, maple syrup and fruit but no other sweeteners. We eat local organic meat, farm raised eggs and wild caught fish along with veggies from my garden.
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with the acheness over the past couple of years. My diet is really good... I have dropped my calories since restarting this again but not crazy. Argh! We don't have health insurance..... So....
    It sucks that you don't have insurance, but I agree that you need to see a doctor. It could be a whole host of things. i.e. hypothyroid, chronic fatigue, and fibromyalgia are just a few possibilities that come to mind from what you've described. I think you need to figure out some way to see a doctor. Is there a free clinic where you live or even one of the "Minute Clinics" at CVS might be able to help.
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    Is it just achy feeling throughout your whole body, or specific areas? Are you short of breath, and feel like you are gasping for air? how is your heart rate when you are feeling this way?.....or is it just the achy feeling? Have you had any medical problems in the past? ......and yes, I really think you should write down your symptoms, when it started, location. duration, characteristics (what it feels like-sharp or dull). if anything aggravates it, if anything relieves it and also what you are using to treat it.......write them down, and take them to show your doctor. If you do not have health ins, find a clinic near by. I am a nursing student and I graduate in May...sorry for all of the questions...it is just a concern.
  • Schellsisbacktoattack
    Options
    how are you getting your calcium? Osteoporosis is very common in small framed, white women. Have you taken any hormones replacement therapy?
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need to get some blood work done which would be part of a normal yearly physical. Do you take supplements? Get enough sun..vitamin D etc? I was diagnosed a fe months with chronic vitamin d deficiency and it can cause osteomalacia (adult form of rickets) and subsequently turn into osteoarthritis.

See a doc. No, its not normal.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    If I eat back all the exercise calories won't that just get me to zero, no weight loss?

No, because MFP has already built a deficit in. Getting to zero remaining will always leave you 500 calories short of maintenance for the day
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

My goal weight is 130 which is good on my 5'4" stocky frame. I have a strong build rather than slender.

I have had pain my whole life from a birth defect so I can pretty much plow through what would make other people cry, not that this is a good thing. I have been pretty active even while gaining the weight. For the past 3 and a half years I have been on a gluten, sugar, GMO, preservative and dairy free diet. I eat honey, maple syrup and fruit but no other sweeteners. We eat local organic meat, farm raised eggs and wild caught fish along with veggies from my garden.

Short answer: No, it won't net you no weight loss! Your deficit will create the weight loss in itself - exercising on top of a dietary deficit creates a /bigger/ deficit, and in some cases, if it gets too big, your body stops being able to cope because you are not eating enough to fuel your activity.

Example: To lose no weight at all with no activity, eat 2000. (Made up number, it's just an example.) To lose 1lb a week, you need a 500 deficit daily, so you'd eat 1500 instead. (Again, made up number - it's an example to show the math.) NOW, if you exercise two hours and burn 1,000 calories, that means you NET 500 calories instead of 1500 - which is not enough for your body to function.
  • ShayCampau
    Options
    Well, I take fish oil supplements, Vitamin D and Selenium as well as kelp, turmeric and cayenne pepper. Calcium comes from the dark green greens we eat. Oh, I wish I was small framed! :P Pretty tankish actually. Never had any hormone therapy either.

My pain is deep in the muscles and aches in the joints and bones. I literally can't move sometimes after sitting in one position. However, once I get "warmed up" for a game or dancing or just for the day, I can do a lot and ignore a lot. Usually the only thing that really hurts from "working out" sore muscles is my gluts. :P The loss of breath is usually during a broken time rather than when my body is ready to go. I think either my body is bi-polar or my brain really takes the mind over matter too seriously. Donno.

Thank you everyone for your responses. Got it on the calories..... My net is what I am looking at rather than my goal on my little total cals list. That makes a huge difference!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    how much do you sleep?
  • ShayCampau
    Options
    Um..... I should be sleeping now.... :P Usually down at 11 and I am blessed to be able to get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep. I need it! I don't function well with less, more pain and grumpy.
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I do agree with above posters about seeing a doctor, but I think some of the biggest tips for weight loss are drinking water and sleeping. Our bodies need time to recuperate. Try eating some some chicken right before you go to bed to give your body fuel to replenish your muscles (and you should be eating some type of protein right after workouts too), and get 8 to 10 hours of sleep. My body gives me the huge finger if it gets less than 8 hours. If I go to bed at 10pm and wake up at 8am I feel great!