Help choosing an at home machine!

Options
I am looking to purchase a machine for at home use. I like the elliptical but I am really looking for something that will give me a maximum calorie burn. So, Bike, Treadmill, Elliptical or other?

Also, is expensive always better or are there any cheaper but good machines out there?

Replies

• aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump! I need help!
  • stephlynne79
    stephlynne79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I purchased an elliptical recently. It's a Pro-Form 6.0CE, one of the cheaper models. I like it, and it works fine for me. It's also easier on your knees/joints than a treadmill if you are interested in that. I think it gives a better full body workout than a bike.
  • MZmuda
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of the elliptical. By and large, they give some of the highest calorie burns. BUT, remember, you get out what you put in, so working out at a level 1 on an elliptical may burn fewer calories than jogging at 4 mph at a 6% incline, so get whatever machine that you'll actually use.

JUST a few things to look for:

1) BUY a sturdy machine. SPEND the money. EXPECT a lot. I say this because you don't want to do a lot of research, buy a cheap machine, have it break after 3 months, then need to deal with guys coming in and fixing it, or (worse) breaking it down and sending it back!!!
    2) Find a GOOD computer! A BAD computer will KILL your workout for you. A GOOD computer can SAVE your workout.

My advice when investigating this stuff, do the following:

1) Find a random machine and call the manufacturer.
    2) ASK the Customer Service Rep (CSR) his/her name. USE it FREQUENTLY in the conversation to let them know YOU HAVE THEIR NAME. [and write it down.]
    3) Find out if the computer calculates CALORIES BURNED based on your age, height, and current weight. (If not all three, you're getting a sub-par computer that's guesstimating some of its numbers.)
    4) Make sure the computer displays EVERYTHING you want to see. (Some displays switch between [for example] "calories" and "time". That's NOT ACCEPTABLE if you want to be able to see BOTH CALORIES and TIME at the same time.) Technically speaking, display sharing is a way to pinch pennies, which would be OK if you're spending $175 on an elliptical, but NOT ok if you're spending $1500.
    5) See if you can find a computer that allows you to make your own programs or has games. If a computer can challenge you by playing a game with you, you're more likely to stick to your exercise regimine because it doesn't get boring as quick.
    6) If the CSR tells you that "Yeah, our machine does it all," remind him/her that you'll hold him/her to it. The correllary is that if they DON'T know something, give them your phone number or email address and have them double-check with the engineering dept. if they have to.
    7) IDEALLY FIND the unit in real life. Go to a gym, go to a gym supply store, go to a fitness store... whatever. Just get some hands-on with the machine. Then, buy it online, or wherever you get the cheapest price.
    8) FINALLY, wherever you buy it, haggle to have it professionally installed and set up. Some of these units are heavy or complicated to put together.

These are just a few tips, and MOST of them are about the computer. GOOD LUCK!

- Z
  • MZmuda
    Options
    One or two more things:

(No, this is not an endorsement or advertisement... I'm just saying...)

1) Check out http://www.thehealthcarecenter.com/best_elliptical_machine.html . They have quite a few good articles about how to find the perfect machine for you.

2) If money were no object, I'd buy a Discover SE Elliptical machine. The key here is the computer which does EVERYTHING I mentioned, then some, and a little bit more. :)

Good luck!

- Z
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For endurance exercises and calorie burn, the elliptical is the best IMHO.

1. low impact and easy on your joints
    2. whole body movement
    3. extra resistance and inclines for strength
    4. many have calories burned, heart rate monitors, etc. built in.

I bought mine from Costco about 4 years ago. Other than having to tighten screws that come loose it's pretty good!
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge proponent of the elliptical. By and large, they give some of the highest calorie burns. BUT, remember, you get out what you put in, so working out at a level 1 on an elliptical may burn fewer calories than jogging at 4 mph at a 6% incline, so get whatever machine that you'll actually use.

JUST a few things to look for:

1) BUY a sturdy machine. SPEND the money. EXPECT a lot. I say this because you don't want to do a lot of research, buy a cheap machine, have it break after 3 months, then need to deal with guys coming in and fixing it, or (worse) breaking it down and sending it back!!!
    2) Find a GOOD computer! A BAD computer will KILL your workout for you. A GOOD computer can SAVE your workout.

My advice when investigating this stuff, do the following:

1) Find a random machine and call the manufacturer.
    2) ASK the Customer Service Rep (CSR) his/her name. USE it FREQUENTLY in the conversation to let them know YOU HAVE THEIR NAME. [and write it down.]
    3) Find out if the computer calculates CALORIES BURNED based on your age, height, and current weight. (If not all three, you're getting a sub-par computer that's guesstimating some of its numbers.)
    4) Make sure the computer displays EVERYTHING you want to see. (Some displays switch between [for example] "calories" and "time". That's NOT ACCEPTABLE if you want to be able to see BOTH CALORIES and TIME at the same time.) Technically speaking, display sharing is a way to pinch pennies, which would be OK if you're spending $175 on an elliptical, but NOT ok if you're spending $1500.
    5) See if you can find a computer that allows you to make your own programs or has games. If a computer can challenge you by playing a game with you, you're more likely to stick to your exercise regimine because it doesn't get boring as quick.
    6) If the CSR tells you that "Yeah, our machine does it all," remind him/her that you'll hold him/her to it. The correllary is that if they DON'T know something, give them your phone number or email address and have them double-check with the engineering dept. if they have to.
    7) IDEALLY FIND the unit in real life. Go to a gym, go to a gym supply store, go to a fitness store... whatever. Just get some hands-on with the machine. Then, buy it online, or wherever you get the cheapest price.
    8) FINALLY, wherever you buy it, haggle to have it professionally installed and set up. Some of these units are heavy or complicated to put together.

These are just a few tips, and MOST of them are about the computer. GOOD LUCK!

- Z
    Thank you!!