Only losing ounces... Anyone else having this issue?

Options
I'm 19 years old and 5' 4'' I came back to college from winter break weighing 162 pounds, after four to six weeks I've lost 9 pounds! (Woohoo!) The first five pounds or so shed right off but the past few weeks I've only been losing .2 or .4 pounds when I weigh myself weekly. :/ My mom (who is a doctor) says that losing ounces means that I'm losing fat which is good but it is taking FOREVER!!! My goal to is be down to 140 pounds again, at this rate it might be while... Is anyone else just losing ounces?

Replies

• halst451
    Options
    Definitely! I figure it took me awhile to put on the weight though, so it's reasonable that it would take a while to come off :) better slow than not at all! Good that it sounds like its fat and not muscle though! Yay!!
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 years old and 5' 4'' I came back to college from winter break weighing 162 pounds, after four to six weeks I've lost 9 pounds! (Woohoo!) The first five pounds or so shed right off but the past few weeks I've only been losing .2 or .4 pounds when I weigh myself weekly. :/ My mom (who is a doctor) says that losing ounces means that I'm losing fat which is good but it is taking FOREVER!!! My goal to is be down to 140 pounds again, at this rate it might be while... Is anyone else just losing ounces?

NOT FAMILAR WITH THIS..bUT I do know..that my loss doesnt show in lbs always..mine starts showing in pants sizes..strange I know but TRUTH..sooo inches I must say...I can relate..instead of losing lbs..maybe similar i'm not sure.
  • catiek29
    catiek29 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You've hit a sort of plateau, try not to stress about it. Muscle is much denser than fat is, 5 lbs of muscle is about the size of the palm of your hand, however 5 lbs of fat is probably the size of your calf. You just have to stick with your diet and exercise and the weight will keep coming off. After you exercise are you eating protein within 30-60 minutes? This will help keep your metabolism up and help your body burn fat calories, not your own protein from your muscles. Try upping your intake of water. I've been drinking 2 L of green tea (whatever flavor of green tea your heart desires) and one tangerine sliced up. It makes me feel more energized and I like it a lot more than plain old water all the time with out all the junk in crystal lite and stuff like that. Keep up the good work, don't let yourself get discouraged you've already come further than most :)

What are you doing for exercise?
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Ounces add up to lbs. Keep at it. Slow and steady is better and healthier and more duable than fast!
  • AndreaEliz93
    Options
    You've hit a sort of plateau, try not to stress about it. Muscle is much denser than fat is, 5 lbs of muscle is about the size of the palm of your hand, however 5 lbs of fat is probably the size of your calf. You just have to stick with your diet and exercise and the weight will keep coming off. After you exercise are you eating protein within 30-60 minutes? This will help keep your metabolism up and help your body burn fat calories, not your own protein from your muscles. Try upping your intake of water. I've been drinking 2 L of green tea (whatever flavor of green tea your heart desires) and one tangerine sliced up. It makes me feel more energized and I like it a lot more than plain old water all the time with out all the junk in crystal lite and stuff like that. Keep up the good work, don't let yourself get discouraged you've already come further than most :)

What are you doing for exercise?

I hadn't realized a lot of what you said so thank you!!! I haven't been monitoring my protein intake after working out but I will start. My work out routine varies with my weekly schedule always changing but I make a point of getting to the gym at least once a week for an hour.. usually 20-25 minutes on the treadmill and 25-30 minutes on the elliptical but I do walk to class from my dorm everyday so even though it's not a lot day to day I count that 8 to 10 minute walk. My water trick is to put lemon juice in it! Tasty! Thanks! :)