Problem with legs "bulking" due to leg day

Options

Replies

• Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    IMO lift heavy...you will not look bulky...and measure like people said

Also the amount of body fat you carry could make a difference.

i looked in your pics and I think you are headed in the right direction for that goal body.

I squat 115
    deadlift 150 leg press 300

not bulky.

they are getting smaller.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I guess everyone is different, but when I was lifting heavy (on a break right now due to health issues) I was able to slim down my lower half from a size 10 to a size 6 in about 6 months.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Haha uhm no I haven't taken any measurements. I also don't weigh myself to track progress. I just go off what I see and what I'm seeing is my thighs poking out the sides, which is what freaks me out a bit.

:laugh:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless you are doing something to mess with your testosterone..you aren't getting bulky. Get a tape measure and start recording your measurements.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You're lifting light weights, so maybe you're just not seeing the weight/fat reduction as of yet? I don't think you would retain much excess water in your muscles at those weight ranges unless you are really new to any sort of strength training at all.

My legs are finally starting to lean out after months of hard work in the gym.

I don't normally talk about my strength training, but I squat 125, dead 135, and leg press I tend to keep lower than I "can" at 220 for multiple reps. I do one legged leg press on leg press days at around 100 to 120 pounds high rep. My legs were bigger when I didn't do these than they are now.

Give everything time. Things will happen. :-)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    can you please send me some of your bulky genes? I'm squatting up to 185kg (407lbs) and can't make it to 60cm (24")! :tongue:

I second the notion to get a tape measure. If you are new to lifting then you may be able to gain small amounts of muscle while losing fat but it's not going to be anything noticeable. A beginner male lifter can expect to gain a maximum of 1kg/2.2lbs per month of lifting over the entire body and females are generally about half of that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    So, I guess if you really don't want muscle size or definition, don't lift weights. I don't understand why you wouldn't want muscles but I guess I don't have to.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    BTW you can't change the shape of your muscles, that is all genetics. Some people have slightly different insertion points but that is it.
  • beanerific518
    Options
    This is the beauty of strength training - you can formulate a routine around what you need to work on. It sounds like you don't need to define your outter quads much. So don't isolate them. For example, on the leg press, keep your feet further apart and you will hit your glutes and hamstrings instead of quads. Instead of a standard back squat, try a low hack squat which takes some of the pressure off your quads.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that if you are really unhappy with the way your legs are starting to look that you simply work on a couple of leg exercises (i.e. keep the squats and lunges) and ditch the rest, plus do more walking/running. The reason your legs are looking bigger is due to the workload they are doing, fluid retention, and fat over them...They will shape up. However, I would suggest that you focus some more on your hamstrings, as women tend to be quad dominant and without proper strength in the backs of our legs we can be prone to injury. Hope this helps..

this.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this thread is so full of logic fail..

"seems" is not an accurate measuring system :laugh: and yeah your eyes can be deceiving : just because you are losing fat which therefore means your muscles are more visible doesn't mean your legs are bulking. if they were then they would be BIGGER.

and anyway, you are NOT building muscle or bulking with 40 pound weights unless you're 10 inches tall and weigh 15 pounds.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    I've found that pilates produces leaner "girly" muscles :)

^^^This! Exactly, if you are going for long and lean. Also you look lovely good luck on your goals :D

I am still trying to get someone to explain to me how you can make a muscle longer then the fixed points they are attached to...and how their muscle density changes and gets "leaner" then mammalian muscle density. And how you can get muscles larger then the fat version of a body part without weighing significantly heavier then before since a lb of fat would be more lbs of muscle at the same size. And how they can do it on a calorie deficit which is nearly impossible (muscle wants a surplus of your energy expenditure to grow faster). Aliens I tell you.

Well said, you can do many things to muscle but making muscle longer is not possible. Unless of course the aliens do a probe thing in the dark place and then would the muscle be longer or wider.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,661 Member
    Options
    Chances are you're seeing less body fat on your legs and perceiving that you're "bulking" (if you can actually see definition, you're actually cutting up) up.
    So add a few more calorie back.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Decrease body fat - they will get smaller.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I squat up to 155# and I do not have bulky legs.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I've found that pilates produces leaner "girly" muscles :)

^^^This! Exactly, if you are going for long and lean. Also you look lovely good luck on your goals :D

tumblr_inline_mgi7kyKejy1qaaiuu_zps216a4376.gif
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet that a lot of it is water weight, which is common when you push yourself with exercise.

Judging by your ticker, you still have a fair bit that you want to lose. I'm assuming you're on a calorie deficit - it's incredibly hard to build muscle on a deficit, and it definitely won't be enough to bulk up.

Keep with the deficit, keep with the strength training. Over time, your body fat will decrease and your legs will slim down. I haven't read all the responses but ignore anyone who says to go lighter/high rep, or do do pilates for "long lean muscles" etc etc Muscle is muscle, and heavy weights won't bulk you up. Testosterone (predominantly male hormone) and a calorie surplus plays just as big a part in that as strength training does. You really need all 3 working together.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It's probably just "the pump" if it happens on training days in particular.

When you put sufficient stress on your muscles then it increases body flow to the site giving it a temporary larger look for a little while. That is why so many folks take pics of themselves at the gym after a workout - because they appear bigger or more defined.

It will abate.
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Run or bike ride.
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump!